By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If someone invaded your country would you fight back?

mrstickball said:
Umos-Cmos said:
mrstickball said:

Yes, but I live in America...Its not going to happen. Not unless every city turns into Detroit.

Likely, I would support the country by purchasing whatever kind of C&C machine and manufacture arms or other supplies. Its unlikely I would be a good fighter, outside of maybe doing a sucide bombing. Of course, an American suicide bombing would be far different than what we see in other countries, hehe.

I live in the whitest county in America. Tons of militia/supremacists where I live. If it were ever to be invaded by a foreign power, it'd have to be turned into Stalingrad before it was taken by a foreign nation.

Your post cracked me up!  Yeah, I don't think suicide bombers would be in plentiful supply in the USA because of Ideoligical reasons.  I bet you could become a decent shot if you had someone show you how and you fired a couple downrange.  I can't say I live around a bunch of supremacists but I know my region would fight to the last man as well.  In America there are simply too many firearms owned by the general public, especially in rural areas, for a country to occupy it.

To be fair, my idea of a suicide bomber in an invasion of America is a bit different than a dude strapping TNT to his chest, and blowing himself up in a market place.

When I say suicide bomber, I mean someone that risks life and limb to defeat the invasion force. We have plentiful guns in America, but they wouldn't do anything against a nice T-90 or Leopard MBT. That is why I mentioned suicide bombings. I'd imagine that taking a C or D-class truck filled with explosives and driving it into an enemy strongpoint would be a worthy cause. Again, I'm not endorsing the cowardice of terrorists like what we liken to suicide bombers - to attack innocent bystandards - but take radical risks against a standing army.

Of course, I'd try not to risk life, and figure out how to accomplish such tasks by proxy, but still...I'd rather die knowing that I tried to fend off an invasion than die slowly under massive opression and human rights abuses, knowing that my family and friends met a horrible fate.

I was serious that you had me laughing.  Not in a sarcastic way.  I agree with what you said.  That's the one thing I hate about the forums.  You can't tell if people are serious, sarcastic, or otherwise because so much of human communication is non-verbal.  Sorry if it came across that way.

As far as your point about the tanks, your right.  However, with urban combat the only way to completely control an area (if that's even possible) is with boots on the ground.  Door to door, building by building.  That's when they would be most vulnerable.  Stalingrad was a great reference.  If you've seen Enemy at the Gates you know how dangerous a few good snipers and organized resistance can be.  It's all very hypothetical and lets be honest, will never happen in the US, but I guess it's interesting to "Wargame" it.  I too, like yourself, would prefer to die fighting than to be subjugated by opposing forces.

"Some of you are thinking that you won't fight. Others, that you can't fight. They all say that, until they're out there."
--
PIKMIN FAN CLUB MEMBER

Around the Network

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

I agree totally, and especially the point on Afghanistan. Not all of them are bloo-thirsty terrorists, some are just people that are fighting off an invasion.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Point is: what is the invasion. If he didn't change too much about the people life, then why fighting? To endanger your family? Give the occupation forces reason to attack civil people instead of just be an army fighting another army?

Because that what this kind of behavior will lead to. If some civil take the arms to fight back other army, then the other army will for sure attack the population, something that could maybe have been avoid.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

mrstickball said:
Umos-Cmos said:
mrstickball said:

Yes, but I live in America...Its not going to happen. Not unless every city turns into Detroit.

Likely, I would support the country by purchasing whatever kind of C&C machine and manufacture arms or other supplies. Its unlikely I would be a good fighter, outside of maybe doing a sucide bombing. Of course, an American suicide bombing would be far different than what we see in other countries, hehe.

I live in the whitest county in America. Tons of militia/supremacists where I live. If it were ever to be invaded by a foreign power, it'd have to be turned into Stalingrad before it was taken by a foreign nation.

Your post cracked me up!  Yeah, I don't think suicide bombers would be in plentiful supply in the USA because of Ideoligical reasons.  I bet you could become a decent shot if you had someone show you how and you fired a couple downrange.  I can't say I live around a bunch of supremacists but I know my region would fight to the last man as well.  In America there are simply too many firearms owned by the general public, especially in rural areas, for a country to occupy it.

To be fair, my idea of a suicide bomber in an invasion of America is a bit different than a dude strapping TNT to his chest, and blowing himself up in a market place.

When I say suicide bomber, I mean someone that risks life and limb to defeat the invasion force. We have plentiful guns in America, but they wouldn't do anything against a nice T-90 or Leopard MBT. That is why I mentioned suicide bombings. I'd imagine that taking a C or D-class truck filled with explosives and driving it into an enemy strongpoint would be a worthy cause. Again, I'm not endorsing the cowardice of terrorists like what we liken to suicide bombers - to attack innocent bystandards - but take radical risks against a standing army.

Of course, I'd try not to risk life, and figure out how to accomplish such tasks by proxy, but still...I'd rather die knowing that I tried to fend off an invasion than die slowly under massive opression and human rights abuses, knowing that my family and friends met a horrible fate.

Actually, I know a good few people who have some firepower that isn't totally legal to own that can take out a few tanks and planes with ease. Plus my local gun shop has a lovely 50cal sniper rifle that should be able to punch a hole into a tank's  cockpit since it is an anti tank gun.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

In the name of every Whole Foods Market, I will protect my nation! USA! USA! USA!

iasta said:

Point is: what is the invasion. If he didn't change too much about the people life, then why fighting? To endanger your family? Give the occupation forces reason to attack civil people instead of just be an army fighting another army?

Because that what this kind of behavior will lead to. If some civil take the arms to fight back other army, then the other army will for sure attack the population, something that could maybe have been avoid.

Invasions always result in exploitation of the native people and their resources. Invasions are about conquest, not about having a social tea time with the people.

It depends, if they are a weak country that is our neighbor, maybe I would, though the regular army could handle it. If it was someone like the US, I would probably try to get out of the country or something like that, I see no reason to fight back when you clearly cannot win unless they would intend killing us anyway, then Id fight just to make them things harder.

Yup america is the number 1 country, i will fight untill the death!

Its funny, this topic, only because I was discussing with a  friend the other day, that they should have a voluntary combat training for citizens - like boot camp/basic training for citizens that want to be trained to be defenders. Like for those who choose not to serve in the armed forces, but want the training. I think that a combat-ready society is a good idea.