By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo will have an advantage over 720/PS4!

dahuman said:
Voltaire said:

3rd party developers arent drawn to the Wii , in a gen where a flop can very easily mean your studio gets shut down (as happened with maaaannnnnyy back in 2007-8). The budget of TODAYS games require sales of a substantial amount, but not so on the Wii. Despite that, the console is not a developers favorite, by and large.

And if things continue this way, i can still see the 720/PS4 surviving and remaining competitive by capturing the "hardcore, dudebro"  audience. Its this very issue that is preventing the Wii from utterly dominating like the PS2 last gen.

If all 3 consoles are close in power then wouldn't most 3rd party games be multiplats at this point anyways? then it'd come to a simple question of which first party games you want, and looking at it now, I'd pick Nintendo>SONY>>>MS with the current 1st party line ups since MS killed off so many of it's studios by now on top of the XBL cost. Though we are not there yet, this is merely my uh, 2 cents.

One would think so, but last gen, where all the consoles were somewhat capable of each other, the GC was continually shafted. Its a stigma that has followed Nintendo since the N64 days; that "teh core" games arent suited for Nintendo consoles. If that doesnt change, Nintendo will never have the majority share.

Around the Network
Voltaire said:
dahuman said:
Voltaire said:

3rd party developers arent drawn to the Wii , in a gen where a flop can very easily mean your studio gets shut down (as happened with maaaannnnnyy back in 2007-8). The budget of TODAYS games require sales of a substantial amount, but not so on the Wii. Despite that, the console is not a developers favorite, by and large.

And if things continue this way, i can still see the 720/PS4 surviving and remaining competitive by capturing the "hardcore, dudebro"  audience. Its this very issue that is preventing the Wii from utterly dominating like the PS2 last gen.

If all 3 consoles are close in power then wouldn't most 3rd party games be multiplats at this point anyways? then it'd come to a simple question of which first party games you want, and looking at it now, I'd pick Nintendo>SONY>>>MS with the current 1st party line ups since MS killed off so many of it's studios by now on top of the XBL cost. Though we are not there yet, this is merely my uh, 2 cents.

One would think so, but last gen, where all the consoles were somewhat capable of each other, the GC was continually shafted. Its a stigma that has followed Nintendo since the N64 days; that "teh core" games arent suited for Nintendo consoles. If that doesnt change, Nintendo will never have the majority share.

There were a lot of 3rd party exclusives last gen though while each system's architectures were very different to code for which is not much the case these days when hardware are becoming more and more PC like.

I don't think Nintendo will have the advantage.  Let's use the DS as an example.  There are more 3rd party core titles on the DS vs the Wii, meaning that those titles sell decently. Meaning that there are more core players on that system vs the wii (but the core players are probably at a younger age vs core players on the PSP).

The 3DS will be at least as successful as the NDS, but the bottleneck there is the casuals that already own the older system.  The question is how willing will the casual audience be to upgrade to newer hardware?  You can also apply this question to the wii where the casual audience is bigger than the core audience (you can figure this out by looking at which games are selling on the system). 

Backward compatibilty will help, but then again look at the PS3, Sony had to remove it to cut costs, because of something like needing to keep some old hardware (CPU/GPU) in the system.  Hopefully they'll figure something out by making it multi-core or whatever.

thought it would be interesting to revive this thread now that Wii U has been announced for a while and how rumors about the NextBox and PS4 are popping up! ;p

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

oh look what the cat dragged in -_-

Roma said:

i completely agree with your op you were right on the next gen nintendo console predictions and yes devs are already spending too much on games there won't be a big jump next gen thats a delusional idea and yes the psp2 wasn't a very smart idea at all

o_O.Q said:
Roma said:

i completely agree with your op you were right on the next gen nintendo console predictions and yes devs are already spending too much on games there won't be a big jump next gen thats a delusional idea and yes the psp2 wasn't a very smart idea at all

At that time there were some crazy rumors about the PSP2 and how powerful it was and that it would be expensive. So if they had not learned their mistakes when they released the PSP and PS3 and that the PSV was going the same way as those two then I would of course think that they would not have learned anything from the past.

But now we know that it is not going to be more expensive than the 3DS (the wifi version) but they will still take a loss.

Its kind of funny that they had the weakest consoles back in the N64/GC days and they haven’ learned that power is not a reason for success

Roma said:
o_O.Q said:
Roma said:

At that time there were some crazy rumors about the PSP2 and how powerful it was and that it would be expensive. So if they had not learned their mistakes when they released the PSP and PS3 and that the PSV was going the same way as those two then I would of course think that they would not have learned anything from the past.

But now we know that it is not going to be more expensive than the 3DS (the wifi version) but they will still take a loss.

Its kind of funny that they had the weakest consoles back in the N64/GC days and they haven’ learned that power is not a reason for success

true true and the whole idea of 3g seems so worthless and the fact that its at&t guarantees that people won't give it ( the 3g model ) a second glance

Roma said:
o_O.Q said:
Roma said:

I could be wrong but I'm thinking that the PS-Vita may not end up being as inexpensive as Sony's announcement made it out to be ...

I'm reminded of the launches of the PS3 and the PSP where Sony's system was not as inexpensive as Sony announced it to be (in particular in Canada). With the PS3 Sony released a 20GB for $500 and it was never really available in store, and it seems like the only reason Sony manufactured that model was to make the claim that the PS3 was $500. With the PSP the only way Canadians could buy the PSP was in a bundle with a game at a price significantly higher than the PSP's MSRP.

Now, based on predicted exchange rates and manufacturing costs Sony has concluded that they can afford to sell the PS-Vita at their announced price but it is possible that Sony was being optimistic (in particular about exchange rates) and if Sony has to adjust their strategy it is likely that they would limit the $250 model and/or force people into bundles.