By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would how Reagan governed make him seen as too liberal to be electable?

I speak of Reagan as president here.  Watch this video, and see the bulletpoints.  It does look like he would stand NO chance in Republican primaries.  Throw in the deficit spending that happened to.

Around the Network

I wasn't around at the time.

However I want to note promises made in a campaign often don't translate to policy once being elected.

Sounds like Bush outside tax raises...

but considering how much he lowered taxes, him later raising taxes isn't surprising, Bush likely would of done the same if he did it THAT much.

Also a lot of his tax raises were combined with bracket increases.  Like he raised the top tax rate 5%, but instead of 50,000 it was now 250,000.

non-gravity said:

I wasn't around at the time.

However I want to note promises made in a campaign often don't translate to policy once being elected.

Very true. One case from the 2010 elections is health care. Many Republicans ran on repealing health care reform, but this will not happen. Even if they could pass it initially, Obama would veto the bill, and there is no chance they could get the 2/3's majority needed to over-ride the veto. They will either need to compromise to make some changes or make a largely symbolic stand that won't change the bill but might appease their constituents.

Apparantly there was an arms race during the 80's...Reagan was bankrupting the Soviet Union indirectly by forcing them to keep up...most of that was Mil spending

Around the Network

The premise of this video is flawed ... You can't use a person's record as president to claim that they couldn't be elected today; because people wouldn't have that information about him when they were voting for him.

With that said, the world has changed a lot since the 1980s ...

Illegal immigration has become a dramatically worse problem (be sure to check the coloring scale)

Terrorists have become far more successful at striking targets in the western world, and the number of "attempted" terrorist strikes by individuals who have been radicalized on the internet is growing; and the economic base that suited the United States from the end of World War II to the 1990s has disappeared in favour of a consumption driven economy.

With how much the world has changed one would expect people's views of certain policies to have changed; especailly those policies which could be associated to the growth in the problems that are now facing the country and the world.

Kasz216 said:

but considering how much he lowered taxes, him later raising taxes isn't surprising, Bush likely would of done the same if he did it THAT much.

Also a lot of his tax raises were combined with bracket increases.  Like he raised the top tax rate 5%, but instead of 50,000 it was now 250,000.

Well, what does it say NOW about tax rates on the upper end then, if they are lower now than they were under Reagan?

HappySqurriel said:

The premise of this video is flawed ... You can't use a person's record as president to claim that they couldn't be elected today; because people wouldn't have that information about him when they were voting for him.

With that said, the world has changed a lot since the 1980s ...

Illegal immigration has become a dramatically worse problem (be sure to check the coloring scale)

Terrorists have become far more successful at striking targets in the western world, and the number of "attempted" terrorist strikes by individuals who have been radicalized on the internet is growing; and the economic base that suited the United States from the end of World War II to the 1990s has disappeared in favour of a consumption driven economy.

With how much the world has changed one would expect people's views of certain policies to have changed; especailly those policies which could be associated to the growth in the problems that are now facing the country and the world.

The video isn't flawed for your initial reason. First, presidents can run for reelection, so people at least had the ability to assess Reagan's job performance in the 1984 election. Second, the argument is hypothetical as it is clearly looking at Reagan's election chances given his past actions. A better way of phrasing the argument would be, "If Reagan had the ability to run for a third term in the 2012 election, what are his chances of winning?".

I think the video's argument is flawed for your other points though. Namely, the world is just a different place. Reagan might have faced the same issues (illigal immigration, terrorism, taxation), but they have a different context today becuase of a changing social environment. Reagan probably did more to revitalize the Republican Party than anyone in recent history, and many of his views are still consistent with the views of today's Republican Party, especially concerning the core Republican issues.

Also, very nice map.

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:

Well, what does it say NOW about tax rates on the upper end then, if they are lower now than they were under Reagan?

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=213

I think that link gives a more accurate representation of Reagan's influence. Prior to Reagan coming into office, the highest marginal tax rate was 70%. When he left office, it was 28%. Compare that today's rate of 35%, and I think Reagan's influence is apparent. The problem with the video is that it is only looking at the original cuts made by the Reagan administration, and even these cuts were quite substantial given the historical context.

Reagan was a real conservative. 

The 1980s are a lot different to the modern age. People's views have changed dramatically. The rates of illegal immigrants have increased significantly since the 1980s. The world's population has grown from 4 million in 1980 to almost 7 million in 2010. 

Reagan was a B-Grade Hollywood actor and he was B-Grade US President. I personally can not recall a memorable Hollywood  film that starred Ronald Reagan.

He survived an assassination attempt just weeks after becoming US President. Reagan survives an assassination  attempt and he won over the support of the American people. 

Reagan's tax cuts helped kick start the American economy by reducing high tax rates to more reasonable levels but the Budget deficits increased as a result. 

The  Bush tax cuts were a poor economic policy that spiralled the nation's Budget deficits.