By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Jaffe Comments About Twisted Metal's Sales Potential

David Jaffe, director of the upcoming Twisted Metal for Playstation 3, recently made a rather curious comment about the sales potential for his game. When a forum user on NeoGAF suggested that Twisted Metal could suffer sales-wise because of the 2011 release date, he responded with the following statement:

Perhaps. Hard to say. My gut tells me TM will do well. But it's very logical to assume it's never going to be HALO or COD and that's fine. It was not designed to be/was not greenlit to be/and was not budgeted to be. It's not a budget title AT ALL but it's not something that anyone feels is going to do 5+ million in sales at full price either.

That said, I think the game is going to be f*****g fantastic and will serve as a launching pad to reintro the franchise to the world. I think our core fans will be very happy and new fans that are interested in the concept will pick it up and- we feel- be very, very happy. Also, if we hit with a T, I think we'll get younger players (who dig the cars and guns combo) and I think once word begins to leak that the game is meaty deep and crazy fun in both local split screen and via online (online split screen as well), we'll start to bring in brand new fans who in the past would never have given us a look. I think as the PS3 market matures and more mainstream gamers hop on board, I also think we have a chance to appeal to a decent sized segment of that crowd...kind of like ATV OFFROAD FURY did back on the PS2...gamers but not hard core gamers who only want the 99% rated meta games and who read neogaf).

At least that is the hope/battle plan. But end of the day, all we can really do is make the best game we can and let the chips fall where they may. On a game like Twisted, no matter how good, bad, or amazing it is, there is a % of peeps who are NEVER going to embrace the core concept and we knew that when we greenlit this new title. I like what someone said on a forum tonight (forget where): Not all games need to be designed to appeal to EVERYONE and back in the day, there was much more variety on the shelves than there is today and that was a good thing. So the hope is we can find our people/find our tribe and treat them like the Gods they are. We take care of them and they'll take care of us. Again, that's the hope. We'll see :)...

David

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-news-in-national/david-jaffe-comments-on-twisted-metal-s-sales-potential

Play Me

Around the Network

FIRST DAY! SOOOO EXCITED!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

this is my cod!

i liked that last bit, "Not all games need to be designed to appeal to EVERYONE and back in the day, there was much more variety on the shelves than there is today and that was a good thing. So the hope is we can find our people/find our tribe and treat them like the Gods they are."

so true.

I'm so looking forward to this; Twisted Metal kicked ass back in the day, and with split screen all over the place, this could be amazing. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

kitler53 said:

i liked that last bit, "Not all games need to be designed to appeal to EVERYONE and back in the day, there was much more variety on the shelves than there is today and that was a good thing. So the hope is we can find our people/find our tribe and treat them like the Gods they are."

so true.

Amen! Well said Jaffe and well Quoted kitler :P

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

i miss vigilante 8 >(

Yeah, he made a lot of posts in my thread on gaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415027

His comments made me REALLY respect him as a person and a developer, and I'll probably be buying the game for those reasons alone.

Edit:

I think this post in particular is really represents what they're trying to do with the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24772707&postcount=169

Bristow9091 said:

See, I've not played a Twisted Metal game... ever, I always wanted to, but wasn't old enough to buy my own games when I had a PS1, and completely forgot about the PS2 games, so I'm eagerly awaiting this new one.

I have a lot of respect for David Jaffe, because, even though he can be a loud mouth at times, he knows exactly what he's talking about, and is pretty open with just about everything he says.

I can't wait for this, it's going to be brilliant!

Hell yeah that it's going to be brilliant. Just remembering all the fun this game was on PS2 era is enough to make me impatient. The same people are doing the game, so it can't be messed up.

Twisted metal is one of the reasons i want to get a ps3. Hopefully it turns out well

makingmusic476 said:

Yeah, he made a lot of posts in my thread on gaf:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415027

His comments made me REALLY respect him as a person and a developer, and I'll probably be buying the game for those reasons alone.

Edit:

I think this post in particular is really represents what they're trying to do with the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24772707&postcount=169

you are a good poster. Have been for years but come on. Purchasing a game just because you have respect for the comments a dev has said? Please gwt your real game on kid. Or as i would have posted back in the day

A wu di blouse n skirts u goin on wid chating bout buying a game cause some geez chating bout hw he loves to make games.

I am buying it anyway. Not because david is being all preachy and shit but because i know i am going to love this shit, blowing up people doggy style.

And i do hope it aint for those reasons alone

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st