By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP2 to Rival PS3 Graphics

We've heard a lot of rumors regarding the PSP 2 but it has been limited largely to isolated reports regarding specific features; today, however, we've received a comprehensive rundown of the device's features from someone with direct hands-on experience with the forthcoming handheld.

According to our source, current iterations of the PSP 2 feature dual analog sliders that are comparable to those found on the existing PSP but are unique in that they have concave indentations rather than convex. It maintains the slider design of the PSPgo, but increases the overall size to accommodate the new features and a slightly larger touch-enabled display.

As would be expected, the PSP 2, like the PSPgo, lacks a UMD drive and will run downloadable or expandable memory-based games. The device also incorporates both front- and rear-facing cameras, presumably for pictures, video recording and communication, and augmented reality-based games.

- VG247

Notably, the frequently rumored rear-mounted touch panel is real and features a smooth glass-like surface, which our source says can be used for a variety of input functions such as analog thumbstick-type controls, taps, swipes and other gesture commands like a swipe to reload motion.

Our source also confirmed the recent batch of leaked images from VG247, which detail the state of current development units.

As far as graphics are concerned, the PSP 2 is a beast, packing enough processing hardware to produce graphics comparable to early PlayStation 3 titles. The processor, we're told, is just over half as powerful as the PS3, though the specific framework of the cores and the clock speed was not revealed.

While the device isn't as powerful as the PlayStation 3, its components should allow it to sufficiently play games of comparable graphical quality due to the fact that it is rendering to a smaller, lower-resolution display than a full 1080p HDTV.

All things considered, it seems that Sony aims to allow developers to port or custom-tailor PlayStation 3 titles for use on the handheld, potentially to create a ubiquitous gameplay experience that could sync seamlessly between the console and the handheld. In other words, players could potentially start games on their PlayStation 3 and continue them on-the-go with the PSP 2.

Despite all we've learned, several key questions remain – namely how much it will cost and when we may see it publicly unveiled. Naturally, a device as powerful and full-featured as this would fetch a pretty penny, perhaps as much as the PS3 itself, and we wouldn't be surprised to see its official debut at E3 2011.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/113/1138871p1.html

Sweet jeebus that'd be powerful.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

Wouldn't that be pretty  expensive too?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Shadowblind said: 

As far as graphics are concerned, the PSP 2 is a beast, packing enough processing hardware to produce graphics comparable to early PlayStation 3 titles. The processor, we're told, is just over half as powerful as the PS3, though the specific framework of the cores and the clock speed was not revealed.

I guess it means...$599? 

radishhead said:

No , PS3 specs come very cheap now, they're old and outdated.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

I fear for the battery life.

Shadowblind said:

We've heard a lot of rumors regarding the PSP 2 but it has been limited largely to isolated reports regarding specific features; today, however, we've received a comprehensive rundown of the device's features from someone with direct hands-on experience with the forthcoming handheld.

According to our source, current iterations of the PSP 2 feature dual analog sliders that are comparable to those found on the existing PSP but are unique in that they have concave indentations rather than convex. It maintains the slider design of the PSPgo, but increases the overall size to accommodate the new features and a slightly larger touch-enabled display.

As would be expected, the PSP 2, like the PSPgo, lacks a UMD drive and will run downloadable or expandable memory-based games. The device also incorporates both front- and rear-facing cameras, presumably for pictures, video recording and communication, and augmented reality-based games.

- VG247

Notably, the frequently rumored rear-mounted touch panel is real and features a smooth glass-like surface, which our source says can be used for a variety of input functions such as analog thumbstick-type controls, taps, swipes and other gesture commands like a swipe to reload motion.

Our source also confirmed the recent batch of leaked images from VG247, which detail the state of current development units.

While the device isn't as powerful as the PlayStation 3, its components should allow it to sufficiently play games of comparable graphical quality due to the fact that it is rendering to a smaller, lower-resolution display than a full 1080p HDTV.

All things considered, it seems that Sony aims to allow developers to port or custom-tailor PlayStation 3 titles for use on the handheld, potentially to create a ubiquitous gameplay experience that could sync seamlessly between the console and the handheld. In other words, players could potentially start games on their PlayStation 3 and continue them on-the-go with the PSP 2.

Despite all we've learned, several key questions remain – namely how much it will cost and when we may see it publicly unveiled. Naturally, a device as powerful and full-featured as this would fetch a pretty penny, perhaps as much as the PS3 itself, and we wouldn't be surprised to see its official debut at E3 2011.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/113/1138871p1.html

Sweet jeebus that'd be powerful.

I saw something like this article last year or the beggining of this one...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hatmoza said:

^^this i fear for the price if it's true....

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

radishhead said:

I'm pretty sure that it is going to be VERY expensive as it is SONY's way of pricing on the higher end of the acceptable spectrum. But right now everything is up in the air, even the 3DS does not have a western price announced yet and everyone has been speculating like crazy.

Who knows? Maybe SONY is willing to sacrifice and choke up the loss to compete for install base and make up for it in the Software front. Probably the more powerful chips are cheaper to make than the 3DS 3d capable screen. Right now no one is certain of that.

My guess is that if they are indeed going this route, that the strategy sony is taking is that they want to have the super hardcore gamers who will definitely stay away from an iDevice for their portable gaming needs and hoping that the more "casual" approach Nintendo is known for will have their competition with Apple and not with the PSP2.

This also brings another question: Software pricing. Are we approaching a 50 usd for portable games?  It's not a secret that the 3DS will increase deveolpment cost significantly, let alone the PSP2 since SONY has been known for complex architectures. If so, one word: ouch! It's going to be REALLY hard to compete with 1 dollar games out there on the App Store, especially to captivate those casual gamers.

Of one thing I'm certain, I might as well have to sell a kidney in order to pay for so many games and gadgets coming next year...

Like I have said couple of time. Impossible. It's not possible with current mobile tech to reach PS3/X360 level graphics. Too much heat and power usage. You don't want handheld with 20 min battery life, that overheats after hour of playing and that costs $599. Sony knows this if they have any business sense. Also if they somehow reached PS3 level graphics developing costs would rise to same level. Knowing that handhelds tend to sell less software with lower price this would be impossible combo as publishers are already struggling with PS3/X360.