By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I feel so useless

Khuutra said:

3. Vitamin D. I'm not a doctor so this isn't medical advice, but I found out that my (and a lot of people's) Vitamin D levels get low when I'm in a climate with low sunshine, which is nearly year-round in Ontario and may be year-round in the UK. I take 10k IU of Vitamin D per day, but 5k IU is all that most people need to stave off the winter blues.

Chances are that a couple of very simple changes to your daily regime will make you feel a lot better. If I can only recommend one, it is the exercise. My wife got me started on weightlifting a year ago and it's been one of the best ways to get my head clear.

My friend had an epic Vitamin D deficiency. It got so bad that it caused him to have panic attacks, throw up pretty much every meal and suffer from severe mental and physical symptoms. So yes I agree as I know first hand what Vitamin D deficiency means.

P.S. Theres no proof that having a wife makes you want to lose weight.

P.P.S. Hows the candy lovin'?

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Khuutra said:

3. Vitamin D. I'm not a doctor so this isn't medical advice, but I found out that my (and a lot of people's) Vitamin D levels get low when I'm in a climate with low sunshine, which is nearly year-round in Ontario and may be year-round in the UK. I take 10k IU of Vitamin D per day, but 5k IU is all that most people need to stave off the winter blues.

Chances are that a couple of very simple changes to your daily regime will make you feel a lot better. If I can only recommend one, it is the exercise. My wife got me started on weightlifting a year ago and it's been one of the best ways to get my head clear.

My friend had an epic Vitamin D deficiency. It got so bad that it caused him to have panic attacks, throw up pretty much every meal and suffer from severe mental and physical symptoms. So yes I agree as I know first hand what Vitamin D deficiency means.

P.P.S. Hows the candy lovin'?

Vitamin D deficiency is a pain!

P.S. That is very true - my exercise (and a diet change) has actually made me gain weight, as I used to be underweight rather severely and am now in normal range

P.P.S. I.... I love candy

Squilliam said:

All of my friends who are married have gained weight.

I suggest you bookmark Failblog:

http://failblog.org/

and you'll realize you aren't doing quite bad actually. :)

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Galaki said:
Squilliam said:

All of my friends who are married have gained weight.

Exactly, I was trying to steer around that topic though so I said the reverse! Its like going backwards to drive forwards.

Tease.

Around the Network
jneul said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You can always see a psychiatrist about your problems. It may seem like you are good at nothing, but everyone is. Just keep searching and you will find it. I too have been having trouble deciding what to do (college freshman). Right now i'm actually trying out programming (small world). Either way, just keep looking.  You will find what else you are good at. Oh, and why did you quit programming? 

because my work treated all the workers like **** basically i had enough after two years, basically it was all dog eat dog and it really turned me into the most miserable person ever, at least now i am happier just less focused lol.

anyway thanks

You should look for a programmer work with a different employer, doing what you do best is a good beginning, don't remove it, just remove the job at a bad place. And stay with your friends, I agree with everybody gave you  this advice. If panic attacks are very serious and happen often seek a neurologist's help.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ur just in a rut, itll pass, it happens to me too from time to time

thanks guys i had a word with some of my family members and found out some of us suffer with asthma, which can cause panic attacks due not to breathing properly, oddly enough the whole vitamin d issue came up again and i got advised by them to take some more, going to the doctors now, and i managed to remember a whole load of other things such as i always get dizzy attacks during really cold years, and this year is like the worst snow in like 30 years, very cold right here, so i guess it could be linked in any way at least that issue will be sorted.

anyway got some good news lol finally got called up by my employment agency and i have a it help desk vacancy available and have an interview, i am gonna give it a try and see if it works out

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You can always see a psychiatrist about your problems. It may seem like you are good at nothing, but everyone is. Just keep searching and you will find it. I too have been having trouble deciding what to do (college freshman). Right now i'm actually trying out programming (small world). Either way, just keep looking.  You will find what else you are good at. Oh, and why did you quit programming? 

because my work treated all the workers like **** basically i had enough after two years, basically it was all dog eat dog and it really turned me into the most miserable person ever, at least now i am happier just less focused lol.

anyway thanks

That's why I changed my major from digital effects and animation to something I currently work for (a daycare, so I chose early childhood education). I know that I don't make much money, but working with people (especially children) is very rewarding in the end. There were days when I was in the digital effects and animation class and I felt like I went through hell. Then I went to work at the daycare and seeing some of my favorite children there helped me feel better. One day I was so upset at what we were doing in class that I packed up my stuff for the day at my desk and went straight to work to try and work early. Later that night, I held this one young girl who was sleepy and she fell asleep in my arms. I felt more joy and love by working with people than I did with machinary. I didn't want to spend all my life tinkering behind a computer monitor when I could be out helping people and making a difference in their lives.

Plus my girlfriend loves it that I work with children, and everyone I've worked with there (and my friends) have told me that I will be a loving and wonderful father. I'm just glad that I changed my major because I didn't want to be miserable.

I suggest that you try to do something relaxing, Jneul. Why not go to the beach or on a trip for some alone time? Relax while you're doing that I'm sure you will feel much better. It's not your fault that you are feeling frustrated with your life and work. Life is stressful, but there is always going to be friends and family that can make you feel happy.

I really want to add something, but I haven't gone through any hard times like what you or others in the thread have, so my advice might not be all that great for you.

My number one suggestion is to feel good about things and forgive those who hurt you, including yourself. Which is all very simple on paper, but much harder to do, but it's really a great way to live.

Don't be jealous of others for their success, be happy for them. Don't get frustrated because you're standing in line, see it as a break and enjoy that you can't do anything other than go with the flow. Don't get angry that you can't seem to program like you could before, try to build up your skills again with a new language or paradigm maybe. I'm studying to be a games programmer right now, and I love working with XNA on the side (I just started with it), because I get to combine my programming with my great passion. ^_^

Don't hate your old work place, forgive your old coworkers and move on. If you refuse to forgive them because they treated you badly, the only person you're 'punishing' for their behavior is you, because you're the only person to feel the negativity. Release it, forgive these people and move on.

And see a professional, hearing what someone who knows their shit has to say about this can be very comforting, even if you've heard many of the same things from friends and family.

I hope my advice is of some use.