By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony channel stuffing PS3's to retailers (w/ pics).. AGGRIVATING.

Infamous said:
psrock said:
Infamous said:
darkknightkryta said:

I know when I was working at EB games we always had a stack of 20 or so PS3s, but they come and go, always a constant supply.  In contrast we never had any Wiis (this was when everything sold as soon as they came in) and 360s would come in a few at a time, get close to selling out then we'd have more.  You say you had that stack of PS3s for a while, and they're not selling, but it sounds like your supply is selling, it's just getting replenished as fast as they sell (Unless you said your stack has been getting bigger since September then I misread.)

Well, you kind of get the picture.

Back in July, we had around 8-10 PS3's upstairs and none downstairs, and by the time they sold out we'd have more shipment. It's like a cycle. So it seemed small, but it was steady whichis good.

Over the months, we'd get more shipment then normal and our "stack" would get bigger. Now it's to the point that we have mass quantities. The thing is, it's not like PS3 isn't selling; it is. Sony's campaign is making sure of that. And also, Wii's and 360's are selling more (here and it seems all of America, according to this site). It's backwards-assed, and when I ask my manager things regarding this he shrugs his shoulders.

Dude you keep killing your own argument.

First, as An Assistant Manager, you should know that December is the month that sells the most consoles, the smart thing for a comapny to do, is to have enough supply ready. Yes, the Wii and 360  are sellig more, but that's every year in America.

Trust me, there will be shortages for all three at the beginning of the year.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

YES, ALL of those things are correct, and this is logic anyone can know. HOWEVER, this year we have 3x as much as last year. And it didn't just start like this in Dec, or November or even October. And last year the demand for PS3 was MUCH greater; I can tell you this for a fact. Especially the holidays.

If you don't understand then there's no point; I'll let someone else respond to you.

And who sent your store those PS3's: Sony or your GameStop's distribution warehouse?

Around the Network
Infamous said:

The amount of PS3's Sony has been sending us for the past few months is getting OUT OF HAND. I took pictures of our basement where we have more than 45 regular PS3's, not even counting the Move PS3 bundles. And that's just our basement because upstairs in our backroom is where we keep  a good amount of systems to easily grab for customers, and we have a TON of PS3/PS3 bundles up there, too (15 ).

Contrast this to our Xbox 360's which are constantly selling out the moment we get them in, and we almost never have 250gb or 250gb Kinect bundles in stock. 4gb regular 360's are usually the only ones we have, and the 4gb Kinect bundle is what we get the most of which still sell out every week. And Wii's are being regulated properly, too, including the new red ones. Sony just keeps sending mass PS3 shipments and we have almost nowhere to put them with our small storage area.

I noticed my manager saying something similiar about the $100 Move bundles, too. Last week we got some more shipments of those and he said "Where the **** do they expect us to put these, it's not like they're selling out!" or something along those lines. That caught me off guard because he usually doesn't say things like that, but he is right. We have a ton of Move bundles, and again, in contrast, it's Kinect that's actually selling out, despite being more expensive.

That got me thinking that Sony might be channel stuffing Move as well, and it goes hand-in-hand with their recent "shipped" numbers reported. But I don't know if I'm speculating too far into this. The thing is, it's like this at every Gamestop in my area: mass PS3 shipments, [lesser] mass Move shipments, sold out 250gb Xbox 360's, sold out Kinects. I wonder if Amazon is experiecing the same thing since they are also sold out of Kinects, Kinect 4gb 360's and Kinect 250gbs.

I wish I can take more pictures but I don't want to risk anything. What do you guys think? Anyone in retail experiencing similiar things?

It is not sony, its your general manager or supervisor. Only they can order a shipment of PS3's to your store.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Infamous said:
psrock said:
Infamous said:
darkknightkryta said:

I know when I was working at EB games we always had a stack of 20 or so PS3s, but they come and go, always a constant supply.  In contrast we never had any Wiis (this was when everything sold as soon as they came in) and 360s would come in a few at a time, get close to selling out then we'd have more.  You say you had that stack of PS3s for a while, and they're not selling, but it sounds like your supply is selling, it's just getting replenished as fast as they sell (Unless you said your stack has been getting bigger since September then I misread.)

Well, you kind of get the picture.

Back in July, we had around 8-10 PS3's upstairs and none downstairs, and by the time they sold out we'd have more shipment. It's like a cycle. So it seemed small, but it was steady whichis good.

Over the months, we'd get more shipment then normal and our "stack" would get bigger. Now it's to the point that we have mass quantities. The thing is, it's not like PS3 isn't selling; it is. Sony's campaign is making sure of that. And also, Wii's and 360's are selling more (here and it seems all of America, according to this site). It's backwards-assed, and when I ask my manager things regarding this he shrugs his shoulders.

Dude you keep killing your own argument.

First, as An Assistant Manager, you should know that December is the month that sells the most consoles, the smart thing for a comapny to do, is to have enough supply ready. Yes, the Wii and 360  are sellig more, but that's every year in America.

Trust me, there will be shortages for all three at the beginning of the year.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

YES, ALL of those things are correct, and this is logic anyone can know. HOWEVER, this year we have 3x as much as last year. And it didn't just start like this in Dec, or November or even October. And last year the demand for PS3 was MUCH greater; I can tell you this for a fact. Especially the holidays.

If you don't understand then there's no point; I'll let someone else respond to you.

I really don't care, your store pays Sony for these consoles. The fact is, you guys are going to have to contact your main office so you can get ride of these conssoles since you have no place to put them.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Some fool is over ordering ps3s they need to stop, solution solved.

thismeintiel said:

What I don't understand is you say you're a "little" store, but you have 2 stock rooms, one in a basement and the other upstairs?  I've been to 3 or 4 Gamestops so far and I have to say neither have had a basement.  Just a tiny ass stock room in the back of the store.

Also, if you guys are in NO WAY in charge of ordering your stock, why is it I can go into any local Gamestop and if they don't have a game I wanted, they say they can order it for me?  This how I was able to purchase Indigo Prophecy last year.

Its because its a fake story. 

I'm not even mad that he made up a story about ps3 shipments, I could care less what stock his store has.

What makes me mad is that he tried to create the must fucked up business model ever to support his story.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

What I don't understand is you say you're a "little" store, but you have 2 stock rooms, one in a basement and the other upstairs?  I've been to 3 or 4 Gamestops so far and I have to say neither have had a basement.  Just a tiny ass stock room in the back of the store.

Also, if you guys are in NO WAY in charge of ordering your stock, why is it I can go into any local Gamestop and if they don't have a game I wanted, they say they can order it for me?  This how I was able to purchase Indigo Prophecy last year.

All gamestops have a basement/storage area and a stockroom. Sometimes it's not exactly a basement, but most of the time it is.

And we don't "order," we get things shipped from other Gamestops. It's called an RSB. The only things we can order are things like more bags/shelf holders etc

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

leatherhat said:
thismeintiel said:

Its because its a fake story. 

I'm not even mad that he made up a story about ps3 shipments, I could care less what stock his store has.

What makes me mad is that he tried to create the must fucked up business model ever to support his story.

Stop trolling already. Either make a ban bet that you're WRONG about what you said, or shut up.

Gamestop managers cannot "order" from Sony/MS/Ninty. It's not a "fake" story or business model.

Bet?

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Infamous said:
thismeintiel said:

All gamestops have a basement/storage area and a stockroom. Sometimes it's not exactly a basement, but most of the time it is.

And we don't "order," we get things shipped from other Gamestops. It's called an RSB. The only things we can order are things like more bags/shelf holders etc

So did you get those "extra" PS3's shipped from the other Gamestops?

Wow, there's quite a few people in this thread who don't know how corporate retail works. Sure, smaller stores (ie, not part of a large chain) have more direct control over what they order, and other industries (like fast food) also have more control at a store level. But a company like Gamestop or Best Buy doesn't work like this at a store.

For a large store, orders are placed somewhere in the corporate ladder. (Usually, this is at a regional warehouse.) This warehouse then ships out to the stores for replenishment. Now, though, is when things tend to get tricky. A product that is in abundance in a warehouse will frequently be told to move it out to make space for more stuff coming in- by getting more to stores, it facilitates a possible store-level promotion to remove stock at their end, or a larger company promotion. (Suffice it to say, if this supply has been growing since September, it's not for a promotion.) Also, if a warehouse has excess stock that it ships out, it will also tend to scale orders back... if it can.

What, "if"? Yes, there are times when companies institute "quota sales" on items. Standalone Move wands are in short supply in many areas. However, Sony may be setting a ratio on this item- for every 10 wands shipped, you must order 10 Move bundles and 10 PS3s. Since these are also items that will eventually sell, they go ahead and place the order to get what they need now- the wands. This does cause a glut of other products, which are also not returnable while the quota is in effect, since they would be negative values, and thus, lower the number of what they need being shipped.

There is one thing that the store should do, though: verify that the inventory in their own system is correct. If there was a missing purchase order (generated by regional warehouse) at the store level, the warehouse may think they have fewer systems, and thus, need more. (Usually this is a problem in reverse with restocking not happening from theft.) Otherwise, there's not much that can be done at the store level. They can make a request to not have any more shipped for a while, but the automation of the system means this will usually be ignored. Some chains may allow a district or regional manager to request a stop shipment, but this usually takes a drastic action. (I've seen this once in retail- our district manager saw that our stockroom was nothing more than a walking aisle from the backstock, and 16,000 more units were due in tomorrow morning.)

So it's not as simple as some would like it to be. And before anyone starts saying anything, I have seen all of these in my time with retail. I'm guessing it's the quota problem that's striking; it's been the reason behind almost every single overstocked item I've seen...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

LivingMetal said:
Infamous said:
thismeintiel said:

So did you get those "extra" PS3's shipped from the other Gamestops?

No, you cannot RSB new systems. This is why if you need a system not in stock we see what's avaliable at Gamestops near us and call them up/tell them to hold it for you because they cannot ship those around.

FYI, RSBs are mostly used games/accessories.

Proud Owner of: