By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NINTENDO DS Outsells PS2!!!

Well the day we all knew was coming came as of now the Nintendo DS is the best selling video game HW of all time surpassing that of PS2.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hardware_totals.php

PARTY ON!!!

The Nintendo DS (ニンテンドーDS Nintendō DÄ« Esu?, sometimes abbreviated to DS or NDS) is a handheld game console developed and manufactured by Nintendo. It was released in 2004 in North America and Japan. The console features a clamshell design, similar to the Game Boy Advance SP, with two LCD screens inside—with the bottom one being a touchscreen. The Nintendo DS also features a built-in microphone and supports wireless IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi) standards,[5] allowing players to interact with each other within short range (10–30 m, depending on conditions) or online with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service, which launched later in the console's lifespan. The Nintendo DS is the first Nintendo console to be released in North America before Japan.

The system's code name was Nitro,[6] which can be seen in the model number that appears on the unit (NTR-001).[7] The console's name officially refers to "Developers' System", in reference to developers of new game designs the system was meant to inspire, and "Dual Screen", the system's most obvious and distinct feature.[8]-

Source Wikipedia

Party on everyone What are your favourite things abou it? Favourite Games Hardware Revisions? Ads? Lets Party till its 2099!

Congratulations Nintendo DS!

Around the Network

The PS2 is undertracked by quite a bit on this site.  It hasn't passed yet, not in reality at least.  The quarterly reports seemed to bare that out for a lot of people, so I'm not alone there.  Was mostly due to smaller, hard to track regions, but still.

OH HERE IS THE MEGATON

well regardless if its the best selling piece of hardware  or not, it is still pretty awesome. and who could forget the "touching is good" campaign. good times :)

I am a nintendo fan, not a nintendo fanboy

Lol just because Vgchartz has the DS numbers above the PS2's doesnt mean its actually right, this site isnt all that accurate. i'll wait till Nintendo announces something.

Around the Network
Ginyu3 said:

Lol just because Vgchartz has the DS numbers above the PS2's doesnt mean its actually right, this site isnt all that accurate. i'll wait till Nintendo announces something.

Yeah, this isn't something they would hesitate to announce.

Well you have done quite a good job around here ;)

All hail the new king!

I wish very healthy 121 other years to Nintendo!

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison anyway. I mean is the PS2 really a console?

After all, it isn't handheld.

fwap said:

I'm not sure it's a fair comparison anyway. I mean is the PS2 really a console?

After all, it isn't handheld.

LOL

But on wikipedia it says 135.58 million for the DS and 147.6 million for the PS2 :P