By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - FIFA World Cup 2018 & 2022 host nations announced.

England got just two votes... That is a bit of a shock.

VGChartz

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

Not a total suprise, look at the number of votes England gets in the Eurovision karaoke contest. They really should make it public who voted for who after the result is given.

kowenicki said:
Albicant said:

I'm obviously disappointed England didn't get it, though I can see some hope that Russia will pull off a good tournament.

Qatar is a real question mark though. I have no doubt that all of their money will create an excellent spectacle, and a part of me is glad that the middle east, the last area to yet host a world cup, will get one. On the other hand though, do the people in Qatar really have the passion for football to merit hosting a world cup? I would have far preferred Australia, or the USA (or even Japan, just for the possibility of the absolutely mental worldwide 3D display they proposed).

Shame, and you have to suspect corruption amongst FIFA, but there we go. We've still got Brazil 2014, which could be something special.

except that they are way behind in organising it already... but yes it should be good.

No doubt the organisation will be pretty shocking, but I'm hoping the atmosphere and spirit will more than make up for it (kind of the opposite of Qatar I guess).

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.
Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 12 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

From the BBC. Seems some voted tactically in the 1st round to get England out. That's the only logical reasoning I can think of behind backing Netherlands/Belgium in round 1 but not round 2 as 2 people clearly did.

kowenicki said:
milkyjoe said:

Its a disgrace.  Its about time they opened up the ballot and we got to see who individuals voted for after the results.

Secret ballots for something this big are so out of date.  Even the Olympic commitee publish their votes post the result.

That would not be a fair and democratic process. Imagine armed guards watching people vote in general democratic elections to decide President/Prime Minister of your country? You do not vote for the right person you get shot. 

FIFA officials decided for a long time over the presentations of the potential WC host candidates. Their decisions were fair, equitable and democratic. Names were drawn out of a hat and the winners were announced. 

Around the Network

what will be dry? Arabs are mad about football, we finally get to watch our favourite national teams.

People you are underestimating the audience that will attend, time will prove me right... in 10 years

Dude I couldn't disagree with you more.

I think the host nations they picked are absolutley perfect. Football is an all-inclusive sport. FIFA is an all-inclusive organization. These two nations clearly had the readiness for the task which is at hand. 

I'm not so much excited for Russia 2018, even though I can respect that they will be hosting it and of course I think they will do a magnficient job.

It's Qatar 2022 which has me HYPED UP!!! A world cup being hosted in the Middle-East is an absolutley brilliant idea. It's what FIFA is all about. And I've heard rumors their putting cooling systems in every single seat of their stadiums.

I'm from Iran, so I might actually even go to that one.

Sorry dudes, I don't know if you are from England or what, but you sound like you are the way you're complaining.

perpride said:

It's Qatar 2022 which has me HYPED UP!!! A world cup being hosted in the Middle-East is an absolutley brilliant idea. It's what FIFA is all about. And I've heard rumors their putting cooling systems in every single seat of their stadiums.

Kowen already told you , those cooling systems won't work and it will be dry as hell too.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
perpride said:

Kowen already told you , those cooling systems won't work and it will be dry as hell too.

So let me see if I got this right. The world cup can never be hosted in a country where it's too hot for your liking?

perpride said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
perpride said:

So let me see if I got this right. The world cup can never be hosted in a country where it's too hot for your liking?

I was being sarcastic you know, the whole arguments here based on " no audience" and "hot weather" are crap.

Our football sucks , why would we watch it? we are hard core football fans and 2022 will show you.