By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii in 2008 whats in store?

for me - if people are gonna port games onto the Wii to make a quick profit then please, please port some PC point and click adventure games. (Broken Sword compilation Wii budget title would be fantastic)

This genre is just waiting to be done to death on the Wii and i'd for one would welcome it

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
For RPG/fantasy lovers it promises to be a really good year. Fragile/Project O/FFCC (2x)/Monster Hunter 3 (maybe 2009)/Baroque/ToSymphonia 2

Apparently Golden Sun too, the wii may be rpg system this gen like the ps2 was last one. If it does alot of ps2 rpg fans will buying wii's and giving the ps3 a big miss, me think. (It was monolith Nintendo bought a little while ago?) Im hoping Atlus may come to the party too, trauma centre did well for them.

Edit, I just see this staight after I post http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=20183 

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

so does anyone think third party million titles will outweigh Nintendo in 08?

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

gawalls said:

With SSBB, Mario Kart and promises of MMO titles ie animal crossing getting released in 2008 - my question is does anyone think 2008 may be a year when more (dare I add a label) "Hardcore" gamers get attracted to the Wii platform?

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yes, of course :o) I think Brawl is the most hype Wii hardcore title, it is more hyped than galaxy (that has hardcore appeal), Metroid or what else there is. Brawl is the big gun from Big N next year for the hardcore crowed.  I say it will crush the first week of Galaxy in JA and US. And if more Hardcore are piking up the Sytem, there will be games that could see a jump in sales: Galaxy, RE:UC, RE4, Zack&Wiki (hey, I think thats my next purchase, well maybe the zapper). The Wii has not that big problem with the hardcore crowed at the moment. Look at RE4 and RE:UC. Both selling quite well. It has a problem with good games for them, esp. third party. But they are comming (RPG especially). 

Good games and good "sales", that's what the WII needs, as some good games sell like "crap".

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

The games will come as when 08 comes the pathetic "Fad" label once and for all gets put to bed and more and more third parties build engines, code bases, dev tools, experience etc for the Wii and it continues to expand it's market dominance - I feel that they'll have no choice but to step up their effort personally.

I reckon 08 is gonna be the year when the Wii really shines and I think we may just see Pikmin 3 unveiled at E3 or whatever it's called show in 08.

Just_Ben said:
gawalls said:

With SSBB, Mario Kart and promises of MMO titles ie animal crossing getting released in 2008 - my question is does anyone think 2008 may be a year when more (dare I add a label) "Hardcore" gamers get attracted to the Wii platform?

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yes, of course :o) I think Brawl is the most hype Wii hardcore title, it is more hyped than galaxy (that has hardcore appeal), Metroid or what else there is. Brawl is the big gun from Big N next year for the hardcore crowed.  I say it will crush the first week of Galaxy in JA and US. And if more Hardcore are piking up the Sytem, there will be games that could see a jump in sales: Galaxy, RE:UC, RE4, Zack&Wiki (hey, I think thats my next purchase, well maybe the zapper). The Wii has not that big problem with the hardcore crowed at the moment. Look at RE4 and RE:UC. Both selling quite well. It has a problem with good games for them, esp. third party. But they are comming (RPG especially). 

SSBB more than 3,5 million in first 3 weeks eh

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

not sure about that but it will have longer legs than an oil rig

I doubt there will be that many thrid party million sellers. There were only 3 in the first year of the system and there will be more but virtually every Nintendo release goes past 1,000,000. They will probbaly have at least 10. If 3rd parties outdo that then call me blown away. I think 2009 is more likely. RPGs are the key. They may not be for everyone but to me they are the litmus test for a system. They take longer ot produce have higher cost with a smaller audience base. If they can make it then Wii is golden.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Why did they call it Wii? that just sounds sort of childish, they should have called it the revolution or whatever they were going to call it, then it would sound cooler and i might buy it!