By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sales dosen't reflect demand? Why is that?

^ Ill say it again.. the second table is for adults aswell as teens.

*reads kids 6-12, scrolls down and hits reply*

Around the Network
De85 said:
BMaker11 said:
Pristine20 said:

Says a lot about those "statistics". 50 people isn't a good enough sample size. They probably need at least 100K to truly have a representative sample.

Anything over 2000 can potentialy be an accurate, representative sample. 100k is asking a little much

Fixed it.  It all depends on how the sample is chosen

They only use about 2000 respondents in presidential elections, and those numbers are pretty accurate within a *" "*/-2% margin of error

Edit: why won't a plus sign show up?

BMaker11 said:

They only use about 2000 respondents in presidential elections, and those numbers are pretty accurate within a *" "*/-2% margin of error

Random sampling always has the chance to be inaccurate. Just choosing 2000 people doesn't remotely guarantee that you get an accurate spread. You are just very likely. Laws of probability dictate that eventually you get a bum group. In your example eventually you get 2,000 hardcore partisans one way or the other and get a completely skewed result. The difference being it would be immediately obvious what happened and the results thrown out and try again. If the perceived demand does not match actual sales then the poll is obviously just wrong due to random sampling error.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
BMaker11 said:

Random sampling always has the chance to be inaccurate. Just choosing 2000 people doesn't remotely guarantee that you get an accurate spread. You are just very likely. Laws of probability dictate that eventually you get a bum group. In your example eventually you get 2,000 hardcore partisans one way or the other and get a completely skewed result. The difference being it would be immediately obvious what happened and the results thrown out and try again. If the perceived demand does not match actual sales then the poll is obviously just wrong due to random sampling error.

I understand that. That's just how statistics work. Hell, even at the 100K level that was proposed, you *could* get 100K partisan people (not out of the question since these consoles sells 200K a week). 

But if I've learned anything from my statistics courses, anything above 2000 is asking too much. It takes too much time and effort (and money) to gather that many samples, and calculate accordingly. However, most of the time, at around 2000, it's damned accurate.

But, yes, I do understand that any time you do random sampling, there's the potential for random sampling error. Unless you can sample an entire population ("sample" isn't the correct word when referring to a population, I know) you will never always be automatically correct. But then again, those high are numbers are simply not feasible

BMaker11 said:

I understand that. That's just how statistics work. Hell, even at the 100K level that was proposed, you *could* get 100K partisan people (not out of the question since these consoles sells 200K a week).

But if I've learned anything from my statistics courses, anything above 2000 is asking too much. It takes too much time and effort (and money) to gather that many samples, and calculate accordingly. However, most of the time, at around 2000, it's damned accurate.

But, yes, I do understand that any time you do random sampling, there's the potential for random sampling error. Unless you can sample an entire population ("sample" isn't the correct word when referring to a population, I know) you will never always be automatically correct. But then again, those high are numbers are simply not feasible

I agree that the number sampled is valid. I am not trying to attack their methodology on this one. The results are just an anomaly that eventually happens. It is the only logical explanation if we assume they correctly performed their job. It could be that they intentionally led people to choose certain options with how the questions were phrased, but it seems unlikely.

Although it actually might be just that they phrased it more as a wish list than an intent to buy. The end justification then being the items that end up lower than expected would be priced higher than the general consumer is willing to pay. I am reluctant to believe any of the items are still viewed as over priced right now save for perhaps the iPad.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
De85 said:
BMaker11 said:
Pristine20 said:

Says a lot about those "statistics". 50 people isn't a good enough sample size. They probably need at least 100K to truly have a representative sample.

Anything over 2000 can potentialy be an accurate, representative sample. 100k is asking a little much

That's true, and it's because the companies that do those official polls try very hard to get a sample group that's representative of the entire population.  Not just any 2000 people will cut it...

Soleron said:
De85 said:
BMaker11 said:
Pristine20 said:

Nielsen are reputable though. They will use correct sampling methods.

I think this shows that parents don't buy whatever their kid wants. I mean - letting a 6 year old determine purchases? Sure it's a factor but the adults have the money.

I know Nielsen is legit.  I was just commenting on samples and surveys in general...

badgenome said:

People who intend to purchase a PS3 are too busy with their two jobs and forget to actually buy it.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. The people who intend to purchase a PS3 just lost both jobs. So now it's an intent like my intent to buy a Ferrari and a BMW, yeah I intend to buy them once I win the lottery.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Gnizmo said:
BMaker11 said:

I agree that the number sampled is valid. I am not trying to attack their methodology on this one. The results are just an anomaly that eventually happens. It is the only logical explanation if we assume they correctly performed their job. It could be that they intentionally led people to choose certain options with how the questions were phrased, but it seems unlikely.

Although it actually might be just that they phrased it more as a wish list than an intent to buy. The end justification then being the items that end up lower than expected would be priced higher than the general consumer is willing to pay. I am reluctant to believe any of the items are still viewed as over priced right now save for perhaps the iPad.

Research companies are trying to avoid picking a stupid sample, though. Let's say in a phone surves they accidentally call 2000 males at the age of 40 with roughly the same income. Obviously that would affect the survey's results. But research companies know preferences of certain demographics and social groups.

For instance prior to the 2005 elections in Germany polls showed the conservatives polling around 45%. They only got 35% of the votes, though. The reason for this was not random polling, though (because research companies know about this and know how to meassure a screwed sample). They had simply underestimated the number of swing voters.

As long as you know what you're doing there is no "random sample". VGChartz does the same. They don't get data from all stores so they have to calculate store preferences, obviously. Just like Media Create and NPD.

Sales /= Demand does not apply to Apple products. It could be they have a "God tier marketing department" as a previous poster pointed out. Furthermore, if marketing was everything, then Kinect would be at the top of both lists due to the sheer amount Microsoft poured in to create the demand. I have to agree that sales /= demand with the exception being a product from Apple.

I think for kids it comes down to what they can fit in their backpack and hide within a book during class. With an iPad, kids and teenagers can surf the Internet or play Farmville with it hidden in their open textbook. I also think the iPad and iPod are more status symbols to show off and brag about during recess.

The smartphone and television set for ages 13 is pretty much self explanatory in that these products symbolize independence during a rebellious era in one's life. With your own television set, you can watch what you want to watch instead of whatever channel dad turns it to while channel surfing in between commercial breaks. The smartphone is there so mom can't pick up the other line and gossip on your conversation.

I am surprised that they did not include "car" on the list for 13 . A car would have placed within the top 10. due to granting more independence from those pesky, boring adults we call our parents.

The Blu-ray player is another status symbol. It is entirely unnecessary with digital distribution via Hulu or Netflix nowadays, but knowing kids, having something which shows greater clarity and produces greater sound in movies is another 1-up on their friends.

As for the rest...meh.