By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony: Kinect is a bunch of tech problems

NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
viperlegendkiller said:

wow i have kinect and this is all bs. Sony your getting close keep watching the competition, wait for their innovations and then rip em off like you always do.By the way is sony taking losses on killzone cause i know they dont sell very well at all for all the money they put in.

Yes because you know more then the researchers at Sony who decided not to pursue this tech for those very reasons, and you seem to be waiting for their innovations for awhile there, I actually haven't seen a tech demo on 360 of anything that innovative and how is Sony taking losses on Killzone, it's a game, they cost like a couple bucks to produce and ship, and all games go in the red before launch since they aren't making any money off it until they launch if you are talking about advertising MS is probably still in the red with Kinect because of advertising

Actually no. The EDD division of MS has posted profits. Swing and a miss.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83757/microsoft-ships-63m-x360s-x360-base-reaches-508m/

the division = more then kinect, they get a ton of money from live subscriptions because they charge for nothing 

Around the Network
Edgeoflife said:
NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
viperlegendkiller said:

wow i have kinect and this is all bs. Sony your getting close keep watching the competition, wait for their innovations and then rip em off like you always do.By the way is sony taking losses on killzone cause i know they dont sell very well at all for all the money they put in.

Yes because you know more then the researchers at Sony who decided not to pursue this tech for those very reasons, and you seem to be waiting for their innovations for awhile there, I actually haven't seen a tech demo on 360 of anything that innovative and how is Sony taking losses on Killzone, it's a game, they cost like a couple bucks to produce and ship, and all games go in the red before launch since they aren't making any money off it until they launch if you are talking about advertising MS is probably still in the red with Kinect because of advertising

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83757/microsoft-ships-63m-x360s-x360-base-reaches-508m/

the division = more then kinect, they get a ton of money from live subscriptions because they charge for nothing 

They charge for online services, thought that one would be more obvious, hope you don't need a source for that either.

Swing and a miss.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
viperlegendkiller said:

They charge for online services, thought that one would be more obvious, hope you don't need a source for that either.

Swing and a miss.

What service? it's p2p, you're the one that missed 

I love the sense of ethos that this rep tries to convince the audience, with the outline, "We tried Kinect technology. Trust us, it's inferior", like any other companies that try it after them should have come to the same conclusion. When push comes to shove though, I'm sure Sony would LOVE to trade sales of Kinect over the Move.

This is where Sony failed to read the audience again. The userbase of these technologies are casuals, and casuals don't care what does 640x480 @ 60FPS etc. Look at the Wii, for example, the only console yet to go HD, but did that make sales drop or plummet?

This is where I think the Wii is getting it's first taste of competition in the same demographic. Casuals see Kinect as an evolution of the Wii, whereas they see Move as a copy of the Wii, even though it might not be. Casuals do not spend time looking at hardware specs.

fordy said:

I love the sense of ethos that this rep tries to convince the audience, with the outline, "We tried Kinect technology. Trust us, it's inferior", like any other companies that try it after them should have come to the same conclusion. When push comes to shove though, I'm sure Sony would LOVE to trade sales of Kinect over the Move.

This is where Sony failed to read the audience again. The userbase of these technologies are casuals, and casuals don't care what does 640x480 @ 60FPS etc. Look at the Wii, for example, the only console yet to go HD, but did that make sales drop or plummet?

This is where I think the Wii is getting it's first taste of competition in the same demographic. Casuals see Kinect as an evolution of the Wii, whereas they see Move as a copy of the Wii, even though it might not be. Casuals do not spend time looking at hardware specs.

Do you really think that Kinect would of sold what it did if Sony released it? It would have sold about the same as the ps eye, it's not about the tech it's about the marketing 

Around the Network
Edgeoflife said:
NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
[..]

Swing and a miss.

The online service, the one that lets you play online.. duh. By saying nothing you're implying that they charge you for the sake of having a 360.

Really, you're going to pull the Live argument into this despite the reports of division being up large %s? Please take your time to read the article

Edgeoflife said:
NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
viperlegendkiller said:

To put in simple terms, you said "MS is probably still in the red with Kinect because of advertising"

"Microsoft (EDD) which houses X360, saw revenues of $3.698b for the quarter, with profits of $679m"

Obviously not. So here it is;

Kinect = more people buying 360s = more people buying live services = more people buying games/accesories = profit up 88% over the last year.

Edgeoflife said:
fordy said:

Do you really think that Kinect would of sold what it did if Sony released it? It would have sold about the same as the ps eye, it's not about the tech it's about the marketing 

Yes because Sony is a kebab shop that can only afford the local newspaper marketing.

NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
[..]

Swing and a miss.

The online service, the one that lets you play online.. duh. By saying nothing you're implying that they charge you for the sake of having a 360.

Really, you're going to pull the Live argument into this despite the reports of division being up large %s? Please take your time to read the article

Only there is no service, it's your internet connection, and the software in your 360 and your 360 that hosts the game, MS forces you to pay to go online despite them providing no actual service concerning online play now get back on topic

NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
NotStan said:
Edgeoflife said:
viperlegendkiller said:

To put in simple terms, you said "MS is probably still in the red with Kinect because of advertising"

"Microsoft (EDD) which houses X360, saw revenues of $3.698b for the quarter, with profits of $679m"

Obviously not. So here it is;

Kinect = more people buying 360s = more people buying live services = more people buying games/accesories = profit up 88% over the last year.

Wrong, I said MS probably hasn't made a profit off kinect (the hardware itself) after factoring in all the R&D and advertising