By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is British English or American English Used More Frequently?

As a Canadian we use British English. Infact I watch a program by the CBC which said Canadian English is the closest to the origional British English. The English accent is not the origional accent and American is far from it too. But man do i get pissed when stupid niave American's say I spell Colour or Centre wrong. They go through my articles and highlight every time I use British English and call it wrong.

Luckily that doesn't happen often on VGChartz I guess because their are enough non-Americans who actually know not everyone uses the same dialect and spelling as American English.

But honestly we are starting to sound more and more alike. i watch Fox, CBC and BBC and can barely tell the accent difference anymore. People in American TV aren't calling their rooves ruffs anymore more.Although I gotta say I came home from visiting California a few years ago and everyone noticed I was calling my room a rum and roof a ruff.

Oh well I'm glad I just say Eh alot certainly, thats not a half bad thing. At least I speak genuine english lol!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:

I speak German English.

thats called Denglish

I'm pretty sure British English is used more frequently than American English, simple because...American English is used only in well...America. I was forced to write in American English though, because my teachers would take off points for "misspelling" words...? And so I had to adopt the incorrect American way of writing/typing words. It still annoys me to this day, that I can't spell words the way they're suppose to be spelled.

Do people in College/Uni care which way you spell words?

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

iLLmaticV3 said:

I'm pretty sure British English is used more frequently than American English, simple because...American English is used only in well...America. I was forced to write in American English though, because my teachers would take off points for "misspelling" words...? And so I had to adopt the incorrect American way of writing/typing words. It still annoys me to this day, that I can't spell words the way they're suppose to be spelled.

How is it "incorrect"? You mean different, yah? Because incorrect implies that it is wrong, which it certainly isn't.

iLLmaticV3 said:

It is unfair to be penalised for that, for example what if you recently moved to America (as a British English user) and were forced to use American English. I would not mind using both but to be forced to use one is unfair. If it involved English then all forms of English come under the equation. 

Around the Network
Rainbow Yoshi said:
iLLmaticV3 said:

It is unfair to be penalised for that, for example what if you recently moved to America (as a British English user) and were forced to use American English. I would not mind using both but to be forced to use one is unfair. If it involved English then all forms of English come under the equation. 

That's what happened to me, I had to use American English pretty much once I moved to America, teachers got all pissy and kept telling me I was spelling words wrong and "This isn't Europe anymore, you need to write the proper way" people were very mean about the way I spoke too when I was younger, lol.

@Perpalicious I still think its incorrect...because the way a lot of words are written do not sound the way they should when spoken, but that's just my personal opinion. I honestly don't know why Americans changed anything, but I guess it made things easier for them?

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

iLLmaticV3 said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
iLLmaticV3 said:

That's what happened to me, I had to use American English pretty much once I moved to America, teachers got all pissy and kept telling me I was spelling words wrong and "This isn't Europe anymore, you need to write the proper way" people were very mean about the way I spoke too when I was younger, lol.

@Perpalicious I still think its incorrect...because the way a lot of words are written do not sound the way they should when spoken, but that's just my personal opinion. I honestly don't know why Americans changed anything, but I guess it made things easier for them?

Well, are you saying that the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and almost every other well known dictionary source is "incorrect"? They all recognize "color" as "correct." Furthermore, the ending -or actually exists all the way back to Latin. It's after the Norman Conquest that the -our ending was introduced. Heck, I've seen the word "color" used in 18th century literature by a British person (Joseph Townsend). Depending on the British scholar, some of them during the 16th century thought that "colour" should be spelled "color" because -or goes back to the Latin root, which they found proper and "correct." "Color" has existed as far back as the 15th century. It isn't an American invention. If anything, you could technically argue that "color" is correct since it roots back to the Latin ending -or. If some British scholars argued for "color" then there is a very large issue at hand because a lot of Brits argue that "colour" is the correct form. Well, how can you deny your British scholars?

The differences words is easy to understand: American wanted to be AMERICA. They became their own country and wanted to establish their own society. Why would they continue using the British dictionary when they are finally independent? It would be like your parents forcing their preconceived image on you and not letting you be your own person. But you go ahead and do things differently than they did.

So, I hope that you change your opinion because it's nonsensical.

I hope I never commit a crime and get sent to gaol.