By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Admit it, Nintendo totally blew it.

Mummelmann said:
Vizion said:

Nintendo could have capitalized immensely if they weren't so conservative and had more Wiis produced. I wouldn't doubt there could have been 10-15 million more Wiis in people's homes today if there were that more many available.

If the userbase was that much larger even more developers would have shifted more of their resources to the Wii thereby creating an even higher demand for the Wii and decreasing demand for the 360 and PS3.

All year long the Wii was selling like hotcakes and Nintendo still didn't increase production to meet demand especially for the holiday seasons. What a huge opportunity Nintendo missed.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo is still greatly successful even with this huge mistake. But they could have been so much more successful and dominant in the console market if they had more Wiis produced.

Why would Nintendo, who have been struggling to sell past 25 million consoles in the two previous generations produce 25-30 million Wii's for the FIRST year?! That would be an amazingly rash and idiotic business decision, regardless of the outcome.

There was no way for them to know whether the Wii would sell at all, and at which rate it would move. Hindsight is 20/20, in business and everyday life... Unfortunately; it can only be applied AFTER, hence the expression. 

QFT and to get it on the current page.

Fun fact: The Wii is on track to sell more units in 1.5 years than the Gamecube has sold in 6 years.

Fun fact #2: The people saying that Nintendo was blind and foolish not to wager their entire company on the Wii doing BETTER THAN better than any gaming console in the history of the industry can shut up. (repetition not accidental)

If I'd known ahead of time what the winning lottery numbers were, then I'd have bought a ticket. But I didn't.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Mummelmann said:
Vizion said:

Nintendo could have capitalized immensely if they weren't so conservative and had more Wiis produced. I wouldn't doubt there could have been 10-15 million more Wiis in people's homes today if there were that more many available.

If the userbase was that much larger even more developers would have shifted more of their resources to the Wii thereby creating an even higher demand for the Wii and decreasing demand for the 360 and PS3.

All year long the Wii was selling like hotcakes and Nintendo still didn't increase production to meet demand especially for the holiday seasons. What a huge opportunity Nintendo missed.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo is still greatly successful even with this huge mistake. But they could have been so much more successful and dominant in the console market if they had more Wiis produced.

Why would Nintendo, who have been struggling to sell past 25 million consoles in the two previous generations produce 25-30 million Wii's for the FIRST year?! That would be an amazingly rash and idiotic business decision, regardless of the outcome.

There was no way for them to know whether the Wii would sell at all, and at which rate it would move. Hindsight is 20/20, in business and everyday life... Unfortunately; it can only be applied AFTER, hence the expression.

QFT and to get it on the current page.

Fun fact: The Wii is on track to sell more units in 1.5 years than the Gamecube has sold in 6 years.

Fun fact #2: The people saying that Nintendo was blind and foolish not to wager their entire company on the Wii doing BETTER THAN better than any gaming console in the history of the industry can shut up. (repetition not accidental)

If I'd known ahead of time what the winning lottery numbers were, then I'd have bought a ticket. But I didn't.

Nobody said Nintendo had to wager their company by producing an insane amount of consoles up front. But after being completely sold out for 8 months, don't you think pretty much any other major company on the face of the planet would have increased production more?

How exactly does this relate to the lottery?

Jigglypuff: It's an ok analogy. The Wii isn't terribly complex, either. And yes, Apple sold out of the iPhone. For a little while.

ishkabibble said:
Final-Fan said:
Mummelmann said:
Vizion said:

Nobody said Nintendo had to wager their company by producing an insane amount of consoles up front. But after being completely sold out for 8 months, don't you think pretty much any other major company on the face of the planet would have increased production more?

Jigglypuff: It's an ok analogy. The Wii isn't terribly complex, either. And yes, Apple sold out of the iPhone. For a little while.

After the launch, it became clear that the sustained demand was considerably in excess of 1 million a month.
D > 1 million
is not the same as
D > 2 million
and I think that that's a significant distinction.

It's not that Nintendo hasn't been ramping up production; in fact, it has increased production more than any company has for any game console in its first year ever EVER. Apparently that's not fast enough, but I don't blame Nintendo for failing to forsee that. I also don't fault it for not betting on it. And that's what production orders made 5-8 months in advance of market fluctuations are -- very large bets based on very well-educated guesswork. Nintendo bet a little low, which is prudent when maneuvering in completely uncharted territory, which is what I hope you have the decency to admit it has been doing ever since the Wii controller was designed.

As for the iPod analogy, it's less about how "complex" the device is than it is about how "custom-built" the parts it's made of are. I freely admit ignorance as to what specifically goes into Ipod manufacture, but I'm confident that it has more mainstream technology on the whole than the Wii does. It's well-known that certain suppliers were -- for a time -- holding back Nintendo's ramping up of production.

[edit: And maybe if Nintendo charged Apple's prices, the Wii wouldn't be sold out either.]

[edit2: Regarding first-year production increases: um, except the GBA, apparentlySecond year may be a different story though.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

-magine the possibilities?

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

@Final-Fan :
I totally agree with you, and I commend you for losing your time arguing with trolls.
Why trolls?
Because these people that say Nintendo should have prepared for an insane number of consoles are the same you see in threads saying that Wii is a fad, and that its sales will drop off "soon".
Actually, the fact that Nintendo increased production 3 times is even more amazing, when they did it in spite of the gaming media saying it is a fad that will die out soon.
I keep in mind the gaming media in 2007 was mostly stupid and moronic.
And it looks like it will be the same in 2008.
Just goes to show me that they went really worse than when I quit gaming, it's a train wreck really.
They just can't be trusted, and are constantly wrong. Oh well ...

Final-Fan said:
ishkabibble said:
Final-Fan said:
Mummelmann said:
Vizion said:

After the launch, it became clear that the sustained demand was considerably in excess of 1 million a month.
D > 1 million
is not the same as
D > 2 million

It's not that Nintendo hasn't been ramping up production; in fact, it has increased production more than any company has for any game console in its first year ever EVER. Apparently that's not fast enough, but I don't blame Nintendo for failing to forsee that. I also don't fault it for not betting on it. And that's what production orders made 5-8 months in advance of market fluctuations are -- very large bets based on very well-educated guesswork. Nintendo bet a little low, which is prudent when maneuvering in completely uncharted territory, which is what I hope you have the decency to admit it has been doing ever since the Wii controller was designed.

As for the iPod analogy, it's less about how "complex" the device is than it is about how "custom-built" the parts it's made of are. I freely admit ignorance as to what specifically goes into Ipod manufacture, but I'm confident that it has more mainstream technology on the whole than the Wii does. It's well-known that certain suppliers were -- for a time -- holding back Nintendo's ramping up of production.

[edit: And maybe if Nintendo charged Apple's prices, the Wii wouldn't be sold out either.]

[edit2: Regarding first-year production increases: um, except the GBA, apparently. Second year may be a different story though.]

You said it yourself. Signficantly more than a million requires a significant distinction.

Nintendo did not bet a little low. If they just bet a little low, you'd see a Wii in stock fairly often. They bet a LOT low.

If you're ignorant about how complex devices are, then maybe you shouldn't be speaking about it.

ookaze: point out where I trolled the things you say. I'm a Nintendo fan and stockholder, and try to take an objective view of their business practices. They've done a ton of things right this generation, but they definitely have done a few things wrong.

ishkabibble said:
Final-Fan said:
ishkabibble said:
Final-Fan said:
Mummelmann said:
Vizion said:

D > 1 million
is not the same as
D > 2 million

[edit2: Regarding first-year production increases: um, except the GBA, apparently. Second year may be a different story though.]

You said it yourself. Signficantly more than a million requires a significant distinction.

Nintendo did not bet a little low. If they just bet a little low, you'd see a Wii in stock fairly often. They bet a LOT low.

If you're ignorant about how complex devices are, then maybe you shouldn't be speaking about it.

ookaze: point out where I trolled the things you say. I'm a Nintendo fan and stockholder, and try to take an objective view of their business practices. They've done a ton of things right this generation, but they definitely have done a few things wrong.

You have either completely misinterpreted or completely ignored my arguments.  This makes you either an idiot, a troll, or a fanboy. 

Whatever is the case, you aren't worth my time until you actually refute some of the points I made in that post. 

ishkabibble said:

Shut up troll.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

For all those who think Nintendo "blew it" -- remember this is what happens when the expected #3 becomes #1 by a large margin.

The Forbes article on the NPD results reminds us of the past.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2007/12/14/nintendo-microsoft-closer-markets-equity-cx_er_ra_1214markets38.html

An excerpt appears below.

Before the Wii's November 2006 launch, many on Wall Street assumed it would be a two-way match between Sony's and Microsoft's machines. While Wii may not match the video graphics offered with the XBox or Playstation, it promises users a more unique and physically interactive experience. The console's stable of user-friendly games has also attracted more casual gamers, which has broadened the appeal of the Wii. (See: "Nintendo's Power Up." )

From Wall Street to Nintendo itself, many seem to be caught off guard with the Wii's popularity. Nintendo's stock has soared from 126% for the year-to-date. Meanwhile, video game maker

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV