By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 first impressions (from the biggest fan on Earth)

bugrimmar said:

more impressions:

b-spec is cool. i just wish that the driver wasn't such an idiot most of the time. i have to tune the car to insane levels just to get him to win.

you need more skill to play b spec, i cant win unless i have a faster car :P.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:

more impressions:

b-spec is cool. i just wish that the driver wasn't such an idiot most of the time. i have to tune the car to insane levels just to get him to win.

My driver's smoking some crappy standard cars right now. I'm doing b-spec only for the Shelby in the Amateur series: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134047

As for the game itself....

It's really hard to not get frustrated with so many things in the game. I'm starting to see why the menus are getting so much hate: it seems like every goddamn thing you do requires a loading screen. The Car Delivery thing is also annoying and just adds to the waiting. It's cool at first cause it's like "WOOWOO YOU GOT A NEW CAR!" and you're like "YEAH I GOT  A NEW CAR!!" then it gets old and stupid when you got a bunch of fugly ass standard cars looking for a home.

And yeah standard cars get no love from me. No cockpit = no go. The exterior cam options arn't that great, with the chase cam being the worst. I'm amazed that PD made the Bugatti Veyron a standard. Seriously, sometimes I wonder what Kaz was thinking with some of these decisions.

They also seriously need to put in a no hud option. I was doing a pretty hard race with the McLaren F1 using the cockpit view. At one point, the reverse cam wasn't doing a good enough job at showing the car trailing right behind me so I took a quick look at the rear view mirrors and what did I see?  NUMBERS! It was being blocked by the lap/total time info. I could barely see the car so I had to use the hood cam to get a proper view of things. I could've used the rear view mirror on the left but half of it was off-screen and the game doesn't even let you use the right stick to move the camera around the cockpit like you can in Grid/NFS:Shift. And it makes me wonder: why spend so much time putting all that effort into the interiors of the car when you can't even see most of it? Sure you can buy the PSeye, but that'd cost $40 and then you'd have to move your head around in a retarded fashion while keeping your eyes on the screen.

I just thought it was disappointing. It's a game where I'd really love to enjoy the visuals, but you're stuck with some pretty retarded camera angles/options. The interior right-stick cam movement is something I used alot in Grid/Shift, which is especially useful when you're trying to race using the cockpit view.

Anyways, I like the game but also just frustrated with some things. After playing Shift earlier just to see how it felt after playing so much GT5, I still can't get over how amazing the cockpit/sound is in that game. These two things just make the entire game experience much more awesome when playing. Makes me wanna crank up the volume and drive fast.

Though GT5 is fun and has alota depth, it just doesn't really grab me by the balls. I like the game alot, but sometimes I'm not really feelin it. The thrills and intensity of driving at 150mph just isn't really there.

CGI-Quality said:

I must say, that's a great piece. When you really sit down with GT5, it's easy to see how far they've pushed the PS3. It's inconsistencies can also be patched up a bit (which will begin on Dec 1 btw), so I'm not too worried there. What IS there, however, is one of the biggest technological achievements available, and it will only get smoother.

Kaz mentioned that they're work on "the project" is far from over, and they'll continue to update/develop it for months to come. I'm just curious as to what kinda updates/improvements they're aiming for though. There's many things can everyone can agree are flawed and need fixing but, we'll have to wait and see what Kaz decides to do...

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

A203D said:

@ Reasonable, this explains the loading times, not to mention if your playing in 3D everything has to be rendered twice. but imo, the PS3 still has a lot more left in it, i'm sure GT6 will surpass our expectations in that regard.

Edit: by the way you've compared the level of coding to Uncharted 2 and God of War (or Gears of War), just wondering if FF13 met that level of quality.

FFXIII was pretty nice piece of coding too, I thought.  It was pretty obviously designed initially for PS3, although saying that I think if Square put more time into the 360 version it could have mostly matched the PS3 version - with the probable exceptions of the CGI movies unless the 360 version went for many more multiple disks - but clearly Square worked to set deadlines and simply cut down the visuals on the 360 to save time in the port.

Even so, I think it is a pretty good engine, running at 720p with 2xMSAA so far as I'm aware.  It also features pretty good upscaling to 1080i / 1080p.

I don't think it's quite the coding achievement of Uncharted 2, GoW3 or now GT5 - but then those three really are quite impressive engines (albeit with the advantage of being built from the ground up for just one console architecture, a natural advantage over any multiplatform game or a game based on a middleware engine like Unreal3).  Still, FFXIII is nonetheless a pretty damn good engine, too.  I thought the character designs and facial animations were fantastic, though, on a par or even ahead of Uncharted 2 and GoW overall.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I'm a fan of the franchise and i think the game is fantastic. It seems all people care about is the graphics, the game itself is incredible. And the game runs at 1080/60p so of course its not going to look like the best game ever. Also its on a console so It is limited by having under 512MB of memory.

interior camera with the analog stick would be an amazing addition. but i guess kaz thought that a driver must always keep his eyes on the road.. yknow how he is. that's why the drivers never have their helmets off to race, coz maybe he wants to teach safety.

Around the Network

You can rotate the interior camera by assigning left/right view to the right analog stick in options, hardware, button assignments. Don't forget to remove brake/accelerate from the right analog stick or you will end up slowing down while looking around the cockpit.

You can also tweak the driving parameters while racing by setting up the RA menu functions.

For example set (RA function) show menu to square

(RA function) select / - to arrow up / down

(RA function) adjust / -  to arrow right / left

yeah that's all fine and good, but i'm using a wheel. i don't have that luxury -.-

my main problems with Gt5 are things like when doing the rally  special stages the track display is right in front of the car and when you turn it off in the menu it's turned  back on at the next stage so you have to go back and click okay every time that and things like being able to win the hot hatch tournament in non hatch's, not being able to compete in the pick up truck event for ages because there wasn't any in the used car section also  i remember setting up a car for rallying and knowing that the first race was dirt and the second snow bought both sets of tires putting on the dirt tires as it was the first race only when the snow race started i had to leave it and go to items and set up the snow tires from there then return, it is these convoluted ways that annoy me another example is when you get given a car could they not simply inform you that the car will automatically appear in your garage  next time you go there .Things I'd like to see, it would be nice to have your best lap /race times for a track kept and what car you used to make it so next time you raced on that track t you could see how you went against your records also it would be nice to make your own series up and say you want to see how one of your cars goes against another in a race and don't want to bother with time trialing them just put your car(s) into the race field and race against them ,

It may seem like nit picking but most of these things are easy to implement and streamlining certain interface aspects make life easier for users of a great game

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot