By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN EPIC MICKEY Review!

8/10
Can a stellar story, fantastic characters, incredible cutscenes, and a solid core gameplay mechanic overcome numerous, fundamental problems with controls, the camera, and even continuity? In the end Warren Spector’s team has created a mightily impressive foundation. They’ve managed to get the toughest stuff right – it seemed almost impossible to make Mickey Mouse matter once again. They’ve even managed to take a nearly dormant character in Oswald and introduce him in a spectacular way, making him one of the most memorable video game characters of the year. And yet the “easier” stuff – finding a camera system that works, finding a control scheme that’s suitable – is flawed to the point where the larger experience becomes damaged. If story and character matter more to you than technical details, or if you and your family are Disney fans, many of these problems won’t matter. Ultimately, the positive elements of Epic Mickey do manage to make this worth a shot. Going in with the proper level of expectation should manage to keep some of the WiiMote throwing to a minimum… just keep that wrist strap tight.
IGN RATINGS FOR DISNEY EPIC MICKEY (WII)

RatingDescription
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
A great experience, from Pixar-worthy storytelling and characterization to wonderfully expressive cutscenes. Charming from beginning to end.
8.5 Graphics
Smart design choices here allow for some great environments and designs that unfortunately still tax the Wii from time to time. Prepare for some choppiness.
8.0 Sound
A great soundtrack is offset slightly by the lack of voice acting, though the squeaks and grunts from characters do have their charms.
7.5 Gameplay
Choice and consequence can make for some great moments, and the idea of paint and thinner is inspired. Still, the camera and control issues hold everything back significantly.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
A 15 hour adventure with an ending that will fluctuate depending on how you solve problems in Wasteland. Tons of collectibles will make thorough gamers come back for more.
OVERALL
Impressive
(out of 10)

Nice score, looking forward to get it next month!

The controls and some camera issues are a bit worrying...but hopefully they won't detract from the whole experience.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Is it just me, or is 9GN starting to become 8GN?

--OkeyDokey-- said:

You must talk about Fable 3, Fallout NV, GT5 and now this?

Well all of those games are in the 80's on metacritic.

IGN still gave Modnation Racers a 9

IGN is t3h PS3 biasedz confirmedz?!!!!!!!!!!1112

darthdevidem01 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

That was before they changed the scoring system to 0.5 increments wasn't it? I think ever since they've been trying to limit the number of games they award a 9 plus. They gave AC Brotherhood an 8.0 too, Black Ops 8.5 :/

--OkeyDokey-- said:
darthdevidem01 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

That was before they changed the scoring system to 0.5 increments wasn't it? I think ever since they've been trying to limit the number of games they award a 9 plus. They gave AC Brotherhood an 8.0 too, Black Ops 8.5 :/

What have they given a 9 to recently?

Around the Network

A 15 hour story, plus multiple ending and choices. And then a eight for 'lasting appeal'...? Seriously.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

A 15 hour story, plus multiple ending and choices. And then a eight for 'lasting appeal'...? Seriously.

I don't know, maybe it's because of lack of ze onlinez?

OT: I'm starting to get the feeling that this could be a game I really must have. A charmy art style, puzzle heavy gameplay and moral choices!

Epic year for platformers.

Multiple endings are nice, but 15 hours? Well... For me at least, that's... pretty short.

darthdevidem01 said:

What have they given a 9 to recently?

They gave DKCR and Kirby Epic Yarn both a 9, so far as I can recall (or so it says on metacritic, anyway).