By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2010's Best Selling New IPs

1. Kinect Adventures!, 5.422m (360) Microsoft Game Studios

Well it remains to be seen if Kinect will truly change the face of gaming forever, no one can deny that it's off to a pretty good start. With Kinect expected to be huge the game will no doubt not just be the first of many Kinect games to enter this list but it could well end up at number 1. Will it reach it? Only time will tell

2. Wii Party, 4.413m (Wii), Nintendo

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No but I finally concede that it is a new IP, although it pretty much could be Mario Party with Miis or just another entry in the Wii series I've decided to take the Wii games on their own terms. Nintendo have a history of naming things after their current consoles and plus no ones gonna claim each Sid Mieir or Tom Clancy game is the same IP, so I give you our number one.

3. Kinect Sports, 928k (360) Microsoft Game Studios

Once upon a time Rare were one of the most popular developers in gaming...then they were bought by Microsoft and made a bunch of good fun but not huge selling games; if the legs keep up this one might be their best selling for Microsoft yet finally they're repaying their huge purchase price...well with this and avatar clothes

4. Sports Champions, 1.822m (PS3) Sony Computer Entertainment

The could be killer app for move gets off to a good start making it into the top 20 after only a few weeks. While we don't know how it will perform in future but its legs seem to be decent so overall Wii killer...no but successful launch game...looks like it!

5. Darksiders, 1.594m (PS3 807k; 360 769k; PC 18k), THQ

Released at the start of the year at the same time as the critically acclaimed Bayonetta, Darksiders managed to successfully hold its own. While sales have slowed down considerably it still has a decent chance of becoming the bestselling new IP of the year, at least until the Move edition of Heavy Rain comes out.

6. Heavy Rain, 1.576m (PS3), Sony Computer Entertainment

The surprise game of the year, Heavy Rain surpassed all expectations in  terms of both critical             reception and sales. While few expected it to go above a million lifetime, the game has managed to not just sell a million but also become the best selling new IP released in 2010. With the Move rereleased coming this number can only keep on rising

7. Dante's Inferno, 1.526m (PS3 780k; 360 625k; PSP 122k) Electronic Arts

Chances are that if you owned a PS3 one of your most anticipated games of the year was God of War 3, and chances are if you needed something to tide you over Dante's Inferno was the game you went for. Despite mixed reviews Dante's Inferno has successfully managed to become the third best selling game of the year. It's unlikely that the game will move any higher but it looks like it may be number 3 for while longer.

8. Art Academy, 1.299m (DS) Nintendo

Nintendo games usually have many things in common, the first being high quality, the second being that they generally have really long legs. Art Academy is proving to be no exception to this and has despite a really mute opening, gone on to make the top 20 for the year and with a US release still to come it can only go higher.

9. Bayonetta (Western Sales), 1.294m (360 663k; PS3 631k) SEGA

Although I was unsure whether or not I should put this on the list at first, I think seeing that it sold so much in the West that it deserves to be here. Released at the start of the year to critical acclaim Bayonetta managed to sell as well as it played. Well some people hated the pure fan service of the game others loved it's over the top style and the sales show that.

10 . Dance Central, 1.205m (X360) MTV Games

The  best reviewed kinect game made by one of the industry's best studios, no surprise that this has proven to be a success so far. With Christmas still to come and Kinect selling like hot cakes you can be sure this will continue to rise.

11. MAG: Massive Action Game, 1.056m (PS3) Sony Computer Entertainment

Despite the name not being the most imaginative thing in the world, MAG managed to be a huge success thanks to its unique online play. Allowing 256 players to play in a single game, MAG managed to set itself apart from the competition, although critics weren't entirely convinced the games sales speak for itself. Although sales have dropped off it should have no problem clearing a million.

12 . ModNation Racers, 976k (PS3 742k; PSP 234k) Sony Computer Entertainment

The LittleBigPlanet of the racing world, which expanded upon Sony's Play Create Share series of games. While it didn't get the AAA reviews of LBP the game got good reviews all around and has so far achieved decent sales so far and at present the sales are holding up pretty well and the game has a good chance of moving up in the list soon.

13. Alan Wake, 872k (360) Microsoft Game Studios

Hyped for years Alan Wake was one of the most anticipated games of 2010. Despite the reviews not being AAA like expected, the game received solid reviews and has managed to become the best selling exclusive IP of 2010 on the 360. With sales remaining steady and a holiday season still to come the game is in with a decent chance of clearing a million although it's doubtful it will ever reach what many expected

14. uDraw Studio, 821k (Wii) THQ

A semi-innovative casual friendly new IP on the Wii, is anyone surprised it's on here? Don't know much about this game except that the concept is pretty cool and hope it does well, should be a great success for THQ

15. Wipeout: The Game, 735k (Wii 584k, DS 197k) Activision

Why do Activision seem to like to make video games based on popular non-video game items...must be because they seem to sell pretty well. I don't really know much about this game except that it's based on the hit tv show so yeah here's wipeout            

16. Split/Second, 717k (PS3 361k; 360 354k, PSP 2k) Disney Interactive Studios

What happens when 3 racing games are released around the same time?  Sales are pretty much split between them and none are really a big success. However thanks to its good reviews sales have remained steady and the game may have good enough legs to make it a good success.

17. Resonance of Fate, 706k (PS3 484k; 360 222k) Sega

Despite its suicide launch in the west against FFXIII, Resonance of Fate has so far managed to achieve decent sales overall. While sales have slowed down considerably it should still finish with respectable sales, especially for a time which launched at a bad time with mixed reviews.

18. ZhuZhu Pets, 641k (DS) Activision

We all should of known that Activision would be the first to jump on the new toy craze that is ZhuZhu Pets. The best selling new IP on the DS the game has proven quite the success for Activision although sales have failed to hold up, so it's unlikely it'll be moving any higher in the list.

19. Zumba Fitness, 632k (Wii 374k,360 217k, PS3 41k)

A popular fitness game on the Wii, I am in shock...a semi-popular fitness game on Kinect, another massive surprise. An unpopular fitness game on Move? Yup nothing surprising here at all

20. God Eater, 630k (PSP) Namco Bandai

Despite being "dead" the PSP has managed to have quite a few successful games this year (well in Japan). I don't really know anything about this game but its sales speak for itself, the best selling new IP on the PSP and since it's available on PSN it's likely sales may be even higher. With sales now below 1,000 a week it looks like this game has peaked in the list

Sony Computer Entertainment: 4
Microsoft Game Studios: 3
Activision: 2
Sega: 2
Nintendo: 2
THQ: 2
Electronic Arts: 1
Namco Bandai: 1
Disney Interactive Studios: 1
MTV Games: 1
Majesco Entertainment 1

Around the Network

Last thread was completely broken and I couldn't fix it so let's hope this one goes better

Anyway this week Kinect Adventures went up a lot, 16th to 6th I think and pretty much everything else fell in response

Darksiders, Bayonetta, and Dantes Informer all managed to get decent sales even considering:

• they released close together
  • gathered lukewarm reviews
  • released between GOW3 and GOW collection
that's pretty good.

umm Can Wii party really be classed as an new io. its basically Mario Party with Mii's and the game seems to be an direct off shoot of that series. So really can it be classed as an new IP.

And i question Kinect Adventures, while its an new IP it is bundled with every kinect. So its the Wii sports type game and it would wipe out all competition due to it being bundled. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

I still remember so many people saying Heavy Rain won't cross 1.5 Million !!!

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Wow i didn't know that so many new IPs came out this year...and so many of them are good too!

Wii party just going up... 3 millions by the end of the year I predict.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Is Wii Party considered a New IP?

It's a part of the Wii series, which launched back in 2006.

So does that mean that Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Music are all separate IPs?

Cross-X said:

So does that mean that Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Music are all separate IPs?

Of course they are all separate IPs or do you consider every game with 64 in their name in the N64 era being the same IP ?  =)

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
mrpapaye said:
Cross-X said:

Of course they are all separate IPs or do you consider every game with 64 in their name in the N64 era being the same IP ?  =)

Clearly not in that sense my friend lol. Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64 and Mario Kart 64 aren't exactly the same as Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit. They all fall under the Wii Series don't they?