By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Speaking of statistics, is there any point in crunching numbers to determine whether a day one lynch is "worth it"?  Why don't we all just keep looking for scum, and lynch one when we find one?

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:

Round 19,  you mean that game you lead a lynch on possibly the most powerful townie in the game?  See I can do it too

A SK is a normal role for a vanilla game,  it always has been.

For one,  its not my scenario, its the game's scenario,  so dont throw this on me because you dont seem to understand the idea of worse possible case scenario.  Which is the only reason that chart is used.  Being implausible doesnt make it impossible.  No matter how many times you repeat it

You can do what, make an irrelevant comparison? 

I'm making a comparison between your considerations of possibility. The possibility of that one specific possible outcome is far more impossible than you seem to think it is, and it is the only situation in which a no lynch today is preferable to a chanced lynch. In fact, the chance of lynching a mafia randomly today greatly exceeds the chance of that possibility happening. 

Compare this with the fact that you sternly denied the possibility of a busser existing in that game, and it's easy to see how you're being contradictory. A role existing is far more possible than a specific series of events happening. In fact, according to your own logic in that game, an SK should not exist in this game. It's just baffling how you can be at odds with yourself like this. Unless you've completely changed your opinions about the fundamental gameplay, I have no reason to believe your estimation of odds.

To address your statement that an SK is vanilla: We didn't have one last game, and that was vanilla. 

To address your last paragraph. I never meant to give you ownership of the scenario. I'm not implying anything of the sort. I'm merely giving it a distinguishing property so as to better identify it when I'm talking about it rather than explaining the scenario every single time. I do hate using the word "that" because of its inherent vagueness, so I called it "your scenario". Don't read to deeply into it.

And yes, it is very close to impossible. 

Look again, vette.

(AND I'D ALSO LIKE EVERYONE ELSE TO CHIME IN ON THIS)

How possible is this scenario:

There is an SK, 4 mafia, and 12 townies.

• Every day, including the first, the town mislynches.
  • Every night, (first 2 nights) the mafia kills a townie.
  • Every night, the SK kills a townie
  • On the third night, mafia kills the SK.
  • Cop is either dead or has no evidence.
  • Doctor is either dead or fails to protect anyone.

All of these conditions above must be true.

Final-Fan said:

The way I see it, prof seems to be trying to undermine the credibility of just about everyone who stands out;

And on the other hand Vetteman is obsessing over the chart and prof's alleged opposition to his no lynch plan. 

@ TOS -- I wouldn't consider Bus Driver an ordinary role at all, and lie detector is more like a flavor of cop role and thus also not typical.  I would not expect either of these, but especially not the busser, to be in a town with only a few power roles.  But then again we don't actually know exactly how hatmoza is doing this one. 

I'm not underming anything. I'm trying to show that lynching on day 1 is not a problem. A mislynch today is a "free" mislynch. If we do, or do not lynch today, we are only allowed 2 mislynches before the game is nearly over. 

Vette argues that a certain very specific series of events is of a great enough importance to not lynch today.

Votals:
[2,L-7] GodofWar_3ever: Final-Fan, nordlead
[2,L-7] TruckOSaurus: dsister, noname2200
[1,L-8] Heaphaestor: GodofWar_3ever
[1,L-8] Final-Fan: (GodofWar_3ever), (theprof00), theprof00
[1,L-8] noname2200: TruckOSaurus
[1,L-8] No Lynch: radishhead
[0] Kantor: (theprof00)

[9] No Vote: Dtewi, Hephaestos, Homer_Simpson, Kantor, Linkzmax, MetalGear_94, Stefl1504, Vetterman94, Wonktonodi
With 17 alive it takes 9 to lynch.

With that out of the way,
prof I think you're incorrect about winning conditions for mafia. D1 mislynch, if SK and mafia both kill town N3 then it's 3-4-1(town/mafia/SK) and I'm pretty sure mafia wins there. Even if that's not the end, we'd be relying on SK from then on to only hit mafia. Since there's already been some speculation on the setup, I've gone ahead and ran some numbers:

D1Start 14T/3M 13T/4M 13T/3M/1SK 12T/4M/1SK
D1Odds: 17.65 23.53 23.53 29.41
D2Start 12T/3M 11T/4M 10T/3M/1SK 9T/4M/1SK
D2Odds: 20 26.67 28.57 35.71
D3Start 10T/3M 9T/4M 7T/3M/1SK 6T/4M/1SK
D3Odds: 23.08 30.77 36.36 45.45
D4Start 8T/3M 7T/4M 4T/3M/1SK Endgame
D4Odds: 27.27 36.36 50
D5Start 6T/3M 5T/4M Endgame
D5Odds: 33.33 lylo(44.44)

D6Start 4T/3M

D6Odds: lylo(42.86)

D1NoLynch

D2Start 13T/3M 12T/4M 11T/3M/1SK 10T/4M/1SK
D2Odds: 18.75 25 26.67 33.33
D3Start 11T/3M 10T/4M 8T/3M/1SK 7T/4M/1SK
D3Odds: 21.43 28.57 33.33 41.67
D4Start 9T/3M 8T/4M 5T/3M/1SK 4T/4M/1SK
D4Odds: 25 33.33 44.44 lylo(44.44)*
D5Start 7T/3M 6T/4M Endgame
D5Odds: 30 mylo(40)

D6Start 5T/3M

D6Odds: mylo(37.5)

*Lynching the SK would result in a loss for town.

If it's a random lynch every dingle day, then lynching day one is the way to go. It always offers an extra opportunity to lynch and better odds(given the same day) as well.

On the other hand, three of the four scenarios can make it to an extra day. And every additional night means more chances for investigation to pay off. Gathered information means the lynches are no longer random and the chart can pretty much be tossed out the window.

So there's pros and cons to each option. I'm likely to go with no lynch as I did in MINHA as I don't think enough evidence will come up see someone choke. But I don't like the way day one ended last time, so I won't place my vote until it seems there's no more conversations to be had. For now I'll give my post/content counts another go to see who's helping and who's just riding along.

noname2200 said:

Speaking of statistics, is there any point in crunching numbers to determine whether a day one lynch is "worth it"?  Why don't we all just keep looking for scum, and lynch one when we find one?

You're right. There is no point arguing the merits of mislynching on day 1.

I am against a no lynch if there can be a mafia lynched. SOME PEOPLE will hold to the idea that it is too risky to lynch on day 1 regardless of whatever evidence we find. Therefore, I proposed that a mislynch is actually, statistically negligible. Based on that, there should be no "safety" opposition to a day one lynch.

Correct?

Around the Network
Linkzmax said:

Votals:
[2,L-7] GodofWar_3ever: Final-Fan, nordlead
[2,L-7] TruckOSaurus: dsister, noname2200
[1,L-8] Heaphaestor: GodofWar_3ever
[1,L-8] Final-Fan: (GodofWar_3ever), (theprof00), theprof00
[1,L-8] noname2200: TruckOSaurus
[1,L-8] No Lynch: radishhead
[0] Kantor: (theprof00)

[9] No Vote: Dtewi, Hephaestos, Homer_Simpson, Kantor, Linkzmax, MetalGear_94, Stefl1504, Vetterman94, Wonktonodi
With 17 alive it takes 9 to lynch.

With that out of the way,
prof I think you're incorrect about winning conditions for mafia. D1 mislynch, if SK and mafia both kill town N3 then it's 3-4-1(town/mafia/SK) and I'm pretty sure mafia wins there. Even if that's not the end, we'd be relying on SK from then on to only hit mafia. Since there's already been some speculation on the setup, I've gone ahead and ran some numbers:

D1Start 14T/3M 13T/4M 13T/3M/1SK 12T/4M/1SK
D1Odds: 17.65 23.53 23.53 29.41
D2Start 12T/3M 11T/4M 10T/3M/1SK 9T/4M/1SK
D2Odds: 20 26.67 28.57 35.71
D3Start 10T/3M 9T/4M 7T/3M/1SK 6T/4M/1SK
D3Odds: 23.08 30.77 36.36 45.45
D4Start 8T/3M 7T/4M 4T/3M/1SK Endgame
D4Odds: 27.27 36.36 50
D5Start 6T/3M 5T/4M Endgame
D5Odds: 33.33 lylo(44.44)

D6Start 4T/3M

D6Odds: lylo(42.86)

D1NoLynch

D2Start 13T/3M 12T/4M 11T/3M/1SK 10T/4M/1SK
D2Odds: 18.75 25 26.67 33.33
D3Start 11T/3M 10T/4M 8T/3M/1SK 7T/4M/1SK
D3Odds: 21.43 28.57 33.33 41.67
D4Start 9T/3M 8T/4M 5T/3M/1SK 4T/4M/1SK
D4Odds: 25 33.33 44.44 lylo(44.44)*
D5Start 7T/3M 6T/4M Endgame
D5Odds: 30 mylo(40)

D6Start 5T/3M

D6Odds: mylo(37.5)

*Lynching the SK would result in a loss for town.

If it's a random lynch every dingle day, then lynching day one is the way to go. It always offers an extra opportunity to lynch and better odds(given the same day) as well.

On the other hand, three of the four scenarios can make it to an extra day. And every additional night means more chances for investigation to pay off. Gathered information means the lynches are no longer random and the chart can pretty much be tossed out the window.

So there's pros and cons to each option. I'm likely to go with no lynch as I did in MINHA as I don't think enough evidence will come up see someone choke. But I don't like the way day one ended last time, so I won't place my vote until it seems there's no more conversations to be had. For now I'll give my post/content counts another go to see who's helping and who's just riding along.

Yes, at 3-4-1 the game continues. As long as there are night-killing roles outside of the mafia, the game continues.

However, the point of the chart is to show the worst case scenario. I'm sure you would agree wholeheartedly that the worst case scenario has a very very low chance of occurring.

Additionally, while every extra day is a boon for the town in terms of investigations, it also assumes that the cop isn't already dead.

Also, you must agree that even in those scenarios you described, as "continuing" town would need to lynch correctly every single day, correct?

I fail to see how this is even up for discussion honestly.

EDIT: also you are using incorrect numbers. We are talking about 4 mafia and 1 SK, so while your graphs do provide a look from a different point of view in scope, you cannot truly say you disagree with me, when your opinion is based upon different numbers.

theprof00 said:

I am against a no lynch if there can be a mafia lynched. SOME PEOPLE will hold to the idea that it is too risky to lynch on day 1 regardless of whatever evidence we find. Therefore, I proposed that a mislynch is actually, statistically negligible. Based on that, there should be no "safety" opposition to a day one lynch.

Correct?

I don't know if a mislynch is "statistically negligible," but it doesn't really matter.  Judging from the games I've played and read, it's fairly common for someone to say something that's lynch-worthy even on the first day. 

I propose that we try to find that person(s), and then convince others why that person(s) need a lynching.  If, after making a concerted effort to do just that, we don't find anyone who we agree is worth lynching, we'll settle on a no lynch today. 

But I see no reason why we should be any more afraid of mislynching now than we would be later.  And I'm concerned that the town will once again prove too timid for its own good;  not only can scum thereby get off the hook, but it makes the game drag on and therefore become much less fun...

never mind my edit, I had trouble reading your graph. What's lylo and mylo, and what are the columns?

noname2200 said:
theprof00 said:

Correct?

I don't know if a mislynch is "statistically negligible," but it doesn't really matter.  Judging from the games I've played and read, it's fairly common for someone to say something that's lynch-worthy even on the first day. 

I propose that we try to find that person(s), and then convince others why that person(s) need a lynching.  If, after making a concerted effort to do just that, we don't find anyone who we agree is worth lynching, we'll settle on a no lynch today. 

But I see no reason why we should be any more afraid of mislynching now than we would be later.  And I'm concerned that the town will once again prove too timid for its own good;  not only can scum thereby get off the hook, but it makes the game drag on and therefore become much less fun...

Thank you for your input. I feel the exact same way.

theprof00 said:
Vetteman94 said:

Round 19,  you mean that game you lead a lynch on possibly the most powerful townie in the game?  See I can do it too

A SK is a normal role for a vanilla game,  it always has been.

For one,  its not my scenario, its the game's scenario,  so dont throw this on me because you dont seem to understand the idea of worse possible case scenario.  Which is the only reason that chart is used.  Being implausible doesnt make it impossible.  No matter how many times you repeat it

You can do what, make an irrelevant comparison? 

I'm making a comparison between your considerations of possibility. The possibility of that one specific possible outcome is far more impossible than you seem to think it is, and it is the only situation in which a no lynch today is preferable to a chanced lynch. In fact, the chance of lynching a mafia randomly today greatly exceeds the chance of that possibility happening. 

Compare this with the fact that you sternly denied the possibility of a busser existing in that game, and it's easy to see how you're being contradictory. A role existing is far more possible than a specific series of events happening. In fact, according to your own logic in that game, an SK should not exist in this game. It's just baffling how you can be at odds with yourself like this. Unless you've completely changed your opinions about the fundamental gameplay, I have no reason to believe your estimation of odds.

To address your statement that an SK is vanilla: We didn't have one last game, and that was vanilla. 

To address your last paragraph. I never meant to give you ownership of the scenario. I'm not implying anything of the sort. I'm merely giving it a distinguishing property so as to better identify it when I'm talking about it rather than explaining the scenario every single time. I do hate using the word "that" because of its inherent vagueness, so I called it "your scenario". Don't read to deeply into it.

And yes, it is very close to impossible. 

Look again, vette.

(AND I'D ALSO LIKE EVERYONE ELSE TO CHIME IN ON THIS)

How possible is this scenario:

There is an SK, 4 mafia, and 12 townies.-

• Every day, including the first, the town mislynches.
  • Every night, (first 2 nights) the mafia kills a townie.
  • Every night, the SK kills a townie
  • On the third night, mafia kills the SK.
  • Cop is either dead or has no evidence.
  • Doctor is either dead or fails to protect anyone.

All of these conditions above must be true.

Well its not completely irrelevant,  you are basically asking for a lynch on the first day,  which could lead to killing a powerful pro-town role.  

This is the last time I am going to talk about past games,  but in that game there was absolutely no evidence to believe there was a busser at all.  You had evidence that you refused to share with people, showing there was, it was you being a disruptive pro-town character, but instead you were asking them to trust you.  Which you dont trust anyone in mafia games, unless they are confirmed to be who they say they are, which you werent. 

Plus I am not the one dening the possibility of something happening,  you are denying that there is a serial killer,  when there may be,  you are denying that the possibility of the worse case scenario happening, which it can.   While the latter may have a really slim chance, it doesnt mean its not possible.  Which is what I am trying to say and the complete opposite of what you are trying to say i am doing, which is denying the possibility of something.   I am not denying anything,  I know that it may be near impossible, but that doesnt make it completely impossible. 

And to address your naming issue,  how about calling it what it is,  worst case scenario,  how hard is that?