By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LOL, there is already a flash card for 3DS!

I don't buy it.

I won't, either.

Around the Network

I thought the 3ds had this little piece of plastic on the side of the flash card to demark the cards from the DS ones... And impossible to create a flash card that fast without the hardware released nowhere...

If it's compatible with all iterations of the DS, then it's a DS flash card, not a 3DS flash card.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

I have a feeling that 3DS flash cards won't be popular. If Nintendo is going to force updates on the end-user as rumored (even with the 3DS turned off apparently), it's going to be a pain in the ass for modders. Whenever Nintendo comes out with new official firmware, the mod users will usually avoid installing Nintendo's new firmware until the modders tweak their mod so that it is compatible with Nintendo's latest firmware. But if modders no longer have the option of declining a Nintendo update, they're fucked until the modders release a new version of their mod.

Just look at the PS Jailbreak situation. The modders still haven't made that compatible with the latest official PS3 firmware I believe. And better yet look at the PSP-3000 situation. If your official PSP firmware is above v5.01, you can not load isos off your PSP-3000. You can however homebrew enable ANY PSP (even PSP-3000 and PSPgo with v6.31 firmware) with the right methods. But it's not homebrew that is a threat to the PSP, it's the iso loading. So mission accomplished for Sony on the PSP front (as of late). There is plenty of PSP piracy among those with older PSPs with old firmware but Sony can't do anything more than they already are to prevent piracy on older hardware.

Personally I think there is a place for homebrew. It is in Nintendo and Sony's interest to block DS Rom/psp iso loading apps and certain homebrew apps (ie. allowing a SNES emulator on their 3DS would indirectly cut into Virtual Console sales of SNES games). However the harmless homebrew apps (ie. xvid/divx players) bring a lot of value to the PSP and DS. Plenty of PSP-3000 users with updated firmware love using homebrew even though they can't take advantage of ISO loading.

loves2splooge said:

I have a feeling that 3DS flash cards won't be popular. If Nintendo is going to force updates on the end-user as rumored (even with the 3DS turned off apparently), it's going to be a pain in the ass for modders. Whenever Nintendo comes out with new official firmware, the mod users will usually avoid installing Nintendo's new firmware until the modders tweak their mod so that it is compatible with Nintendo's latest firmware. But if modders no longer have the option of declining a Nintendo update, they're fucked until the modders release a new version of their mod.

Just look at the PS Jailbreak situation. The modders still haven't made that compatible with the latest official PS3 firmware I believe. And better yet look at the PSP-3000 situation. If your official PSP firmware is above v5.01, you can not load isos off your PSP-3000. You can however homebrew enable ANY PSP (even PSP-3000 and PSPgo with v6.31 firmware) with the right methods. But it's not homebrew that is a threat to the PSP, it's the iso loading. So mission accomplished for Sony on the PSP front (as of late). There is plenty of PSP piracy among those with older PSPs with old firmware but Sony can't do anything more than they already are to prevent piracy on older hardware.

Personally I think there is a place for homebrew. It is in Nintendo and Sony's interest to block DS Rom/psp iso loading apps and certain homebrew apps (ie. allowing a SNES emulator on their 3DS would indirectly cut into Virtual Console sales of SNES games). However the harmless homebrew apps (ie. xvid/divx players) bring a lot of value to the PSP and DS. Plenty of PSP-3000 users with updated firmware love using homebrew even though they can't take advantage of ISO loading.

doubt it will be a problem.  if updates break the mod then the first thing they mod is nintendo's ability to update remotely.  frankly, you can't stop pirates.

Around the Network

day 1 XD

Without it being released, how the hell can they know it will work on the 3ds?

I call shenanigans.

I think it's just Super Card One, Two, Three, Four, etc... for the DS, not 3DS.

kitler53 said:
loves2splooge said:

doubt it will be a problem.  if updates break the mod then the first thing they mod is nintendo's ability to update remotely.  frankly, you can't stop pirates.

Sony has done a pretty good job of controlling piracy. PS Jailbreak (PS3) isn't compatible with the latest PS3 firmware I believe (and PSN is so vital to the PS3 experience that not many people are willing to sacrifice PSN just to play pirated copies of PS3 games). And Sony has successfully cracked down on piracy of the new model PSPs. If you bought a PSP brand new from a store within the past 2 years, there is a high chance that it comes with firmware higher than v5.01 (gee I wonder why PSP hardware sales went to shit lately... lol). Which means you can't load isos with them. The Peacewalker PSP-3000 I got a couple months back came with v6.20 firmware. I have a rental subscription so other than convenience, I didn't really see the point of tracking down an old, used PSP with old firmware on eBay.

Sony has shown it's entirely possible to successfully crack down on piracy. So it's not an impossibility to keep the 3DS on lockdown. If they use the right methods. It's all up to how effective Nintendo's piracy protection scheme is. The pirates don't always win anymore.

Microsoft's method has also been successful and is more extreme than Sony's methods (ban modded Xbox units from Xbox Live). An Xbox just isn't an Xbox without internet access. It's a major inconvenience not to use Xbox Live Silver (free membership) at the very least. I wouldn't be willing to try going without internet access on the Xbox.

Lo, would be weird if this was actually true.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046