By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Screen Digest still believes the PS3 will take the worldwide lead

honestly, if PS3 succeeds to take the lead in 2011 (at the end of this gen) and both wii and PS3 have about 70 mn units and the X360 has 40 mn units, I will be more than happy, as everyone in the industry will be smiling a lot.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

According to that projection the PS3 will start outselling the Wii in a few weeks. That would be interesting.

fkusumot said:

According to that projection the PS3 will start outselling the Wii in a few weeks. That would be interesting.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

On the Wii:

Mr Bach says he is unfazed. “It's not even a statistic I track all that closely,” he says. The Wii's popularity stems from its low price and its innovative motion-sensitive controller, which can be pointed and waved to control the on-screen action and encourages novices to give gaming a try. But the Wii lacks the high-definition graphics of its two rivals, so it could soon start to look dated. The real battle is between the Xbox 360 and the PS3, Mr Bach suggests.

Oh my. Send him a bingo board. Also his point about social gaming would actually favour the Wii, but of course the standard "HD is everything, Wii will soon look old" point overshadows every sensible argument.

And the chart looks way to linear. It's like they just took a guess at sales for each console and lets it stay the same for all the years in the future. I can't quite make out the delta on the chart, but it looks like 5M/year for X360, over 15M/year for PS3 and ~12M/year for Wii. Can anybody look closer at the chart?

Edit: and if Nintendo continue making 1,8M Wiis/month and this forecast is correct, they will sit on a pile of unsold Wiis...yeah, right

That chart... just doesn't lool accurate in the first place... from the 06 to the start 08 data. Or is it just me?

Around the Network
stranne said:

On the Wii:

Mr Bach says he is unfazed. “It's not even a statistic I track all that closely,” he says. The Wii's popularity stems from its low price and its innovative motion-sensitive controller, which can be pointed and waved to control the on-screen action and encourages novices to give gaming a try. But the Wii lacks the high-definition graphics of its two rivals, so it could soon start to look dated. The real battle is between the Xbox 360 and the PS3, Mr Bach suggests.

Oh my. Send him a bingo board. Also his point about social gaming would actually favour the Wii, but of course the standard "HD is everything, Wii will soon look old" point overshadows every sensible argument.

And the chart looks way to linear. It's like they just took a guess at sales for each console and lets it stay the same for all the years in the future. I can't quite make out the delta on the chart, but it looks like 5M/year for X360, over 15M/year for PS3 and ~12M/year for Wii. Can anybody look closer at the chart?

Edit: and if Nintendo continue making 1,8M Wiis/month and this forecast is correct, they will sit on a pile of unsold Wiis...yeah, right

oh my. i hope someone will realize the bull and fire that guy. i mean seriously.... 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Oh they have 07 as "The end of 07" instead of the beggining. Then they just seem to think "PS3 domination begins in 08.

To the point of where January-March PS3 sales will apparently be higher then October-December sales.

This seems... incredibly unlikely. Either that or they expect exactly no dropoff. This chart and analysis makes no sense. It's just not anythign that should be on a graph if you arn't going to estimate by fiscal quarter. If anything you should go with a bar graph and estimate each yer. Whoever was in charge of making their SAS/SPSS charts needs to be fired.

Bodhesatva said:
fkusumot said:

Hahahaha.

Who reckons in the first graph that they just accidentally mixed up the wii and the ps3 for Japan and US?

That seems much more likely to me

Bodhesatva said:

So, technically speaking, the prediction is that begining '08, PS3 will give you an immediate hard-on that you just have to buy it.

According to your graph scaling anyways.