By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which third party company is simply going to miss the Wii boat?

Konami does come to mind but I think they are more slow to get on the boat than flat out missing it. Elebits and Dewy were respectable "were not going to put more than one egg in the Nintendo basket after the Gamecube until it proves itself" efforts. MLB Power Pros was a great game that is obviously much bigger in Japan, and they are making a major effort with their soccer game which has to be their best selling game WW non-MGS years(I'm just guessing, I have no idea).

I would say Sega, Square-Enix, Capcom, Activision, Namco, and Ubisoft's support for the Wii have all been from average to great for an unproven system from a company with a proven 3rd place track record. Other arguably big companies like Eidos, Atari, Midway, etc are just churning out trash for everything these days so I'd say they are missing every boat.

I would have to say in the number of sheer missed opportunities EA has to take the cake. The Wii is screaming for a great golf game and EA has the Tiger Woods license yet 12 months and 2 games later they still leave a lot to desire. By the time they fix it We Love Golf and Mario Golf will be dominating. The Wii is perfect for a great life-sim game and we get a 6month rush job. The sequel may be great but it will have no chance against Animal Crossing Wii. The Wii has FPS written all over it and so far the best we've gotten is a PSP port that was only good because the team that made it had only worked on a handheld games and the Wii was a powerhouse to them. Boogie and EA Playground are terrible attempts to quickly cash in on the Wii's casual audience and have no real potential next to GHIII and Mario Party 8. Aside from farmed out Madden 07 all the EA sports games on Wii have been abominations. The balance board has been a known quantity for some time and is begging for a snowboarding/skating/skiing game to be made and we have yet to hear anything from perfectly placed EA (or anyone other than Nintendo) about such a game.

So I wouldn't say EA has missed the Wii boat in the sense that they never bothered to get on but that they missed it trying to get on and are flailing about in the water right now. Also I mean this relative to potential. I know EA is selling a lot more games on the Wii than say Atlas but I'm sure Trauma center has earned Atlas more profit and sold way more than they could have imagined than any of EA's Wii games have earned it.

Around the Network
windbane said:
I think most third parties will "miss out" on the Wii.  First teams are making games for the PS3/360/PC or DS or PSP.  I don't think the boat is really there yet for them to miss.  Just my opinion.
Well then you mean most third parties are intentionally missing out on the Wii boat (which is certainly defendable) not that it isn't there.

eugene said:
Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:
Some developers are just known to be "not casual friendly" and risk losing their fan base because of it. In including small companys for the sake of mentioning , Blizzard would never make a Wii game even if they were given the opportunity. They thrive on their eco system of hardcore pc gamers that are very very loyal. They cannot risk shovel waring their games with a Warcraft spin off. Same with Lion head, given the opportunity, they would pass. Peter Molyneux has said many times, that they make games for gamers made by gamers and thats their philosophy. So theres a handful of highly rated develpors with huge fan bases that wont go the Wii route. Thats not impuning on the Wii at all, its just that the Wii has a different philosophy to gamming of games for everyone. Epic wont either as I believe they have publicy stated that and risk alienating their base.

Blizzard is really a terrible example here -- they have often specifically gone after casual players, and World of Warcraft is noted for being the most casually oriented of all MMOs (and most consider its success to be a direct result of this more casual focus). As a life long fan of Blizzard, I can absolutely say they'd produce a game for a casual base, if that game were QUALITY. "Hardcoreness" isn't one of their defining traits, quality is. Some of their games are hardcore (Starcraft), some aren't (World of Warcraft, Warcraft III). Otherwise, I agree. Lionhead definitely is a hardcore studio, and Epic has specifically stated that they're involved in high end graphical output (which should be obvious anyway, as they are the developers of the UE3).

Well casual oriented Warcraft is their base. They even refused Microsoft money to make a game on the 360 because they said that their PC gamers would get outraged. Its not about how casual thier games are either, even Halo is casual as hell, thats not the issue. Its about alienating their base of casual hardcore.

I absolutely agree, but this is different than what you initially stated :p

I'm a huge Blizzard fan, and I simply don't want to see them lumped together with Epic. Epic makes good games, but they're no longer my style, and they really do have a dramatically different philosophy from Blizzard.

So again, I totally agree that Blizzard won't make a Wii game -- just not because they're too "hardcore."  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Here is the link to what I was talking about with Blizzard.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10379/No-World-of-Warcraft-Xbox-360-Port-Planned/

“We do not have any plans to take WoW to Xbox 360,” Blizzard COO Paul Sams told MCV. “WoW is built as a PC gaming experience. Porting PC games to console often compromises games, and we’d never allow the WoW gameplay experience to suffer.”

It was also rumored that Microsoft offered a truck load of money to Blizzard to port their game over.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:
Bodhesatva said:
eugene said:
Some developers are just known to be "not casual friendly" and risk losing their fan base because of it. In including small companys for the sake of mentioning , Blizzard would never make a Wii game even if they were given the opportunity. They thrive on their eco system of hardcore pc gamers that are very very loyal. They cannot risk shovel waring their games with a Warcraft spin off. Same with Lion head, given the opportunity, they would pass. Peter Molyneux has said many times, that they make games for gamers made by gamers and thats their philosophy. So theres a handful of highly rated develpors with huge fan bases that wont go the Wii route. Thats not impuning on the Wii at all, its just that the Wii has a different philosophy to gamming of games for everyone. Epic wont either as I believe they have publicy stated that and risk alienating their base.

Blizzard is really a terrible example here -- they have often specifically gone after casual players, and World of Warcraft is noted for being the most casually oriented of all MMOs (and most consider its success to be a direct result of this more casual focus). As a life long fan of Blizzard, I can absolutely say they'd produce a game for a casual base, if that game were QUALITY. "Hardcoreness" isn't one of their defining traits, quality is. Some of their games are hardcore (Starcraft), some aren't (World of Warcraft, Warcraft III). Otherwise, I agree. Lionhead definitely is a hardcore studio, and Epic has specifically stated that they're involved in high end graphical output (which should be obvious anyway, as they are the developers of the UE3).

Well casual oriented Warcraft is their base. They even refused Microsoft money to make a game on the 360 because they said that their PC gamers would get outraged. Its not about how casual thier games are either, even Halo is casual as hell, thats not the issue. Its about alienating their base of casual hardcore.

I absolutely agree, but this is different than what you initially stated :p

I'm a huge Blizzard fan, and I simply don't want to see them lumped together with Epic. Epic makes good games, but they're no longer my style, and they really do have a dramatically different philosophy from Blizzard.

So again, I totally agree that Blizzard won't make a Wii game -- just not because they're too "hardcore."  

Well, the word "hardcore" gets tossed around the game industry and has different meanings to different people. Outside the game industry people say Halo is a hardcore game and doesnt appeal to casual, inside the pc gaming world, Halo is a casual wet dream. But in my context, I was simply referring to their fan base whatever they may be may it be boys, girls, or just whoever it is playing their games.

eugene said:
It was also rumored that Microsoft offered a truck load of money to Blizzard to port their game over.

That's most likely true.  Microsoft's mistake was they thought there was a way to buy Blizzard, but considering WoW generates more revenue than many 3rd world countries, I don't think there is anyway to "buy" blizzard out.  

albionus said:
windbane said:
I think most third parties will "miss out" on the Wii. First teams are making games for the PS3/360/PC or DS or PSP. I don't think the boat is really there yet for them to miss. Just my opinion.
Well then you mean most third parties are intentionally missing out on the Wii boat (which is certainly defendable) not that it isn't there.

I'm not sure the boat is there.  Only 3 third-party games have sold over 1 million on the Wii so far.  That's certainly more than the PS3, which only has 1, but not as good as multiplatform releases can do.  

I also think third parties have a reason to intentionally miss the boat if they want to push their games.  The Wii has a nice control option with the pointer but it can't do as much in other areas.

I hope all the consoles get great games, though.  I haven't seen any big announcements about Wii games yet, but maybe they are all new IPs and will require hands on to impress.  We'll see. 

naznatips said:
eugene said:

That's most likely true. Microsoft's mistake was they thought there was a way to buy Blizzard, but considering WoW generates more revenue than many 3rd world countries, I don't think there is anyway to "buy" blizzard out.

Blizzard is nearly flawless.  I hope they never get bought.  I wish teams that made Guild Wars and Hellgate didn't leave the company, though, because their stand-alone products aren't as good. 

windbane said:
naznatips said:
eugene said:

That's most likely true. Microsoft's mistake was they thought there was a way to buy Blizzard, but considering WoW generates more revenue than many 3rd world countries, I don't think there is anyway to "buy" blizzard out.

Blizzard is nearly flawless. I hope they never get bought. I wish teams that made Guild Wars and Hellgate didn't leave the company, though, because their stand-alone products aren't as good.

That tends to happen when parts of development teams leave but not full teams.  Look at what happened to the people who split off from Rare... On the other hand, when a second party studio like Clover leaves to become their own company you can expect greatness out of them since the entire studio remained in tact.

As far as the actual topic goes, I don't think there is any company that will "miss" the Wii boat.  Hell, the only company that didn't make anything major on the GC was Square, and even they had Crystal Chronicles.  The only one that may miss it is Midway, and, given their dire financial situation,  it's very unlikely they'll be alive at the end of the generation. 

Considering the Wii will have totaled the GC's lifetime sales in a year and a half from launch (only limited by that with supply constraints) it's ridiculously unlikely that any company will ignore it completely.