By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't Nintendo make a FPS?

pokeclaudel said:

First person shooters is what's selling this gen and Nintendo needs to get on it.

Why would you say that? Now I'm not even going to adress your main point at all, I'm just going to demonstrate how incorrect that statement is.

Current gen games by sales, bonded if they are a shooter

Wii Sports

Wii Play

Nintendogs

Mario Kart: Wii

NSMB:DS

Wii Fit

Wii Sports Resort

Brain Training

Mario Kart : DS

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

NSMB:Wii

Brain Age 2

Wii Fit Plus

WoW

Cod:MW2 - 360

Animal Crossing DS

Halo 3

Smash Bros: Brawl

Pokemon: HEart Gold

SM:Galaxy

Cod:MW2 - PS3

Super Mario 64: DS

CoD4 - 360

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

That covers the first page so I'l stop there. Total shooters = 3, all from one franchise

By comparison

RPGs = 3

Platformers = 4

Racers = 2

And that's not even taking into account that the 3 shooters are all near the bottom. 

Btw, if you feel that my counted of a game on two platforms as two seperate games was done to bias the data, feel free to do the adding up yourself, it does not change the conclusion much.

You know what? that actually does answer your main point.

To answer it another way - Look at the majority of Nintendo games - they do not take themselves seriously, with a few notable exceptions (Zelda, Metroid), even if they are aimed at forum dwellers, they are still made suitable for all ages (Metroid excluded) They are bright and colourful. Compare that to any of the high  selling shooters, which take themselves way to seriously, are gritty (ie everything is brown) and are considered to be mature because they have blood, boobs and cussin'.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Because they suck at making those type of games.

Before I get banned. Reggie said it... Not me!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239278?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

yeah seen this artical somewhere, they wont know unless they had ago, Retro can make first person shooter games the prime series gameplay proved it

and who said people aint gonna buy call of duty on the wii? i do

Carl2291 said:
Lastgengamer said:

I've had the same thought as you, in fact ever since the Wii brought us motion controls I have always wanted to see a FPS from one of Nintendo's internal studios. Maybe something a long the lines of a Mario paint ball game. That could be massive.

Mario Paintballing would be amazing with the Wii pointer controls.

I've wanted them to do it for like... The entire gen!

LOL That would be so awesome!

I don't think it's about "first-person shooters". Nintendo has produced first person shooters before with Goldeneye and Metroid Prime. While they had relative success, neither could save the N64 or Gamecube.

The real reason games like Call of Duty and Halo are successful is because they offer the definitive online experience. The fact that they happen to be FPS is advantageous, but not the core element of their success.

The problem, I think, is Nintendo's odd approach to online multiplayer. While the Wii had potential to go online with relative ease, they decided to incorporate a complicated code system that made both developers and customers reluctant to try online content.

If they wanted to fix this, they would have done so by now. Unfortunately I think Nintendo has decided to ignore online gameplay of any kind.

If I was an optimistic person, I would say that Nintendo might probably release a "Wii Sports Online" within the next year (paintball included) and completely revamp the online system undoing friend codes permenently.

Being a realistic person, however, makes me believe that Miyamoto wants to inflict Wii Music Plus on us with a UGC-filled Pikmin 3 not far from it (no online gameplay in either of these, of course). 

Around the Network

Its a crowded genre with a lot of really good developers where even quality games in well known series have difficulty selling well ... With that said, I think it would be interesting for Nintendo to make a FPS that "broke all the rules"

Essentially, I think there is a market for the "Mario Kart of FPS" and by that I mean an arcade shooter that is easy to pick up and is not so focused on graphic violence, and is far more focused on being accessable. You could use the advance wars graphic style, and base the gameplay on Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament and make something that stands apart from what most other developers are doing with the genre.

What good FPS has come out of Japan?

I could imagine Retro making a quite could TPS

nintendo can't tap all the genres otherwise 3rd parties will be even more pissed of.

But I agree with you, Nintendo should do an FPS to show us how they do it.

Nintendo did publish Giest back on the GameCube but it didn't sell too well and wasn't exactly the best looking game. I think if Retro wanted to do an FPS that Nintendo would sanction it, but Nintendo putting any of their studios on an FPS project is unlikely.

I think Nintendo's sees the FPS market as crowded and hard to break into. Look at the top selling FPS games like Call Of Duty for example the brand has taken a very long time to reach its potential. Sure their is Halo which became huge over night but I think Nintendo views it as a gamble. Look at Sony's FPS games Killzone nearly 2.5 mill and Resistance 2 only broke the 2-million mark barely.

Even Pikmin combined (Wii version/GCN version) sold over 2-million copies. Nintendo's titles usually break the million mark minimum. Nintendo knows their is alot of competition and they don't want to gamble with an FPS. Nintendo sees Red Steel and Conduit and goes "No thanks" even CoD on Wii doesn't break the 2-million mark. Not to mention Nintendo's target market is Japan. Even Halo doesn't sell all that well in Japan and thats like the best FPS franchise availible there.

I think the only way we are going to see a Nintendo FPS is if Retro decides to stop making titles based on retro franchises and goes into creating their own IP's. Which you never know it could happen!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer