By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: GEARS OF WAR COMING TO KINECT!!!

JaggedSac said:

Whilst messing around with the Kinect Tuner, I noticed that Kinect would place the blue dot(point of interest, head, hands, etc) on the controller when I held it with both hands.  This would allow for both hands to be on the controller and still use gestures to do things.  Such as leaning by moving the controller to either side.  Or leaping over a ledge by moving the controller up.  Perhaps crouching by moving the controller down.  Quick gestures could be used such as the waggle controls for many Wii games.  Just another tool for devs to use when implementing Kinect features.

So, it would be pretty much result in basically the same implementation as sixaxis?
We all knew how that went.(for most games.)

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming

Around the Network

While Cliffy says no for Gears 3, that doesn't mean nothing for Gears.... I am going to watch this story, but I don't see how it can be done. I certainly don't want to have to build a waist high wall in my room to lean against

ConnorJCP said:

So, it would be pretty much result in basically the same implementation as sixaxis?

Maybe.  Not familiar with the sixaxis.  But that wasn't based on the world position of the controller, but instead the tilt of the controller correct?  Regardless, it is just another tool.

NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:

There is no way gameplay would be enhanced, nor would anyone use it for lack of competitive advantage.  I guess I can see some kind of usage in the menus or maybe if they add some kind of new game mechanic regarding puzzles.

So headtracking isn't a plus? They haven't even announced what it could consist of, or if its hybrid controls. Why dismiss it now? Just because you cannot think of ways it could be useful does not mean others can't. think outside the box

Headtracking for what exactly?

Perhaps for leaning out around cover, or above cover. Kinect is good at tracking that and gears uses a good cover system. I'm just saying just cause you have no ideas does not mean others do not. Intead of knocking it try to think of the possibilites. Maybe we should really have to saw people in half with a motion, that would be fun to me also. Just a couple of ideas with out much thought from me.

thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:

There is no way gameplay would be enhanced, nor would anyone use it for lack of competitive advantage.  I guess I can see some kind of usage in the menus or maybe if they add some kind of new game mechanic regarding puzzles.

So headtracking isn't a plus? They haven't even announced what it could consist of, or if its hybrid controls. Why dismiss it now? Just because you cannot think of ways it could be useful does not mean others can't. think outside the box

Perhaps for leaning out around cover, or above cover. Kinect is good at tracking that and gears uses a good cover system. I'm just saying just cause you have no ideas does not mean others do not. Intead of knocking it try to think of the possibilites. Maybe we should really have to saw people in half with a motion, that would be fun to me also. Just a couple of ideas with out much thought from me.

I mean, if people wanna play co op with a friend and just "screw around", perhaps that could be okay.  But online, no one will do that for long.  And I know what you're saying, and normally I would.  But motion is not advanced enough for something so visceral, people online would get frustrated and just revert back to the controller for everything.  You would have to find a way to slow the game down, and that almost goes agaisnt GEOW's philosophy rofl.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:

I mean, if people wanna play co op with a friend and just "screw around", perhaps that could be okay.  But online, no one will do that for long.  And I know what you're saying, and normally I would.  But motion is not advanced enough for something so visceral, people online would get frustrated and just revert back to the controller for everything.  You would have to find a way to slow the game down, and that almost goes agaisnt GEOW's philosophy rofl.

Have you used kinect yet? Wh ywould you have to slow the game down? I do not see what your saying here.

thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:

Have you used kinect yet? Wh ywould you have to slow the game down? I do not see what your saying here.

I'm saying that there is no way physically moving your body to simulate going behind cover is as fast as pushing a mere button.  It's just physically impossible, I'm not talking about lag or trying to disparage Kinect. Move and Wiimote couldn't do it either. In that extra time it takes you to do something, your head will get blown off by someone.  Every nanosecond counts.

NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:

I'm saying that there is no way physically moving your body to simulate going behind cover is as fast as pushing a mere button.  It's just physically impossible, I'm not talking about lag or trying to disparage Kinect. Move and Wiimote couldn't do it either. In that extra time it takes you to do something, your head will get blown off by someone.  Every nanosecond counts.

try moving your head down, and pressing a button.doesn't take me any longer. nano seconds do not count, sorry too small. Maybe miliseconds, and still I say you can mover your head and thumb just as quick. they are both body movements which require you to see something on screen, process it and move a body part of your choice, is it head or thumb though. Again have you used kinect?

thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:
thranx said:
NYANKS said:

try moving your head down, and pressing a button.doesn't take me any longer. nano seconds do not count, sorry too small. Maybe miliseconds, and still I say you can mover your head and thumb just as quick. they are both body movements which require you to see something on screen, process it and move a body part of your choice, is it head or thumb though. Again have you used kinect?

No.  Ask, Kowen and Seece, I think even they would agree with me here.  I'm not rying to disparage Kinect.  I guess we'll just see when they reveal what it is.

JaggedSac said:
ConnorJCP said:

Maybe.  Not familiar with the sixaxis.  But that wasn't based on the world position of the controller, but instead the tilt of the controller correct?  Regardless, it is just another tool.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming