By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect - 1.3 million WW

kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:

Very good sales.  I'm most surprised by UK.  I know it's a strong base for 360 but the damn thing really should require too much room for the average UK living space, which I thought would dampen demand.  Either Kinect doesn't really need as much space as I thought from the reviews, people are more willing to shunt furniture around than I thought or I need a bigger house.

the space thing is overplayed..   I dont have this in my living room - its in my av room.... which is small!  works fine.

How much space do you feel it really needs.  I've been reading if you put the sensor higher than the TV you can cut down how much you need.  But like most topics for every positive I read about space there seems to be a review or article that is negative and talks about issues without a certain amount of space.

I was reading the user reviews on Amazon and it was the same thing.  Some said no problem.  Others said a few problems but nothing to worry about and others that they definately had a problem.

Kinect has me toying with picking up a 360 but I'm trying to judge whether I'd need to change anything (room wise) to cater for it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I live in a very modest apartment and I have this in my bedroom .. let alone my lounge. I don't personally know anyone that couldn't have a fully working Kinect in their lounge ....

kowenicki said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I'm sorry, but 745k install base is so wrong.  Every single one of my friends who bought move, bought ONE move controler, and no eyetoy because they all already have one (Not saying everyone did, just keep that in mind).  You guys need to stop coming up with these outrageous claims about what is the actual install base.  All I'm saying is that we will never know what the install base is, but I would guess it is about 1 million, if there are only 1.5 million moves sold.

P.S.  Of coarse Kinect is still selling better than Move but I am getting tired of people trying to state what the install base is because NOBODY knows!  Just keep in mind that as long as kinect has sold a similar amount of cameras, it is higher.  Oh and don't get me started on the claim that no one is buying move software....some people....

I agree we will never know the install base, but when are all these unique adopters going to start buying the move software?  Only software sales can provide any real indication and those arent too sparkling right now.

doesn't help much that most of move's line-up has been thrown out as if it is invalid or something.  i got and love my move but i'm re-playing heavy rain and i'm sure a lot of people are playing resident evil and mag and all the other games backward compatible with move.  then some of the best games are psn based like tumble, echochrome ii, under siege so obviously we'll never see those sales either.  and things like lbp2, killzone3, dead space won't count either because they are move exclusive games.  for some reason, eyepet isn't allowed to count either even though it's basically a move exclusive.

move is great and i love it and it is influencing which games i buy based off of what supports it....but i'm not going to buy a crappytacular game like kung fu rider.

i'm quite happy to see the good sales for kinect software but when kinect doesn't have any backwards compatibility or downloadable titles like move does it isn't as you say a "like for like" comparision.

Seece said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

As expected, impressive numbers

lol why do you keep saying "as expected" as to sort of dampen its success?

Seece I'm not being funny but chill out please yeah? it was expected for kinect to sell well, especially after its $500 million marketing campaign

p.s I like how when someone asked for sales for Move earlier to compare you used vg-charts.....known for under tracking...even with kinect...just saying

phinch1 said:
Seece said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Seece I'm not being funny but chill out please yeah? it was expected for kinect to sell well, especially after its $500 million marketing campaign

p.s I like how when someone asked for sales for Move earlier to compare you used vg-charts.....known for under tracking...even with kinect...just saying

No you're alright, I asked him a question in a perfectly calm mannor.

I'm also very sorry someone asked for Move numbers and I used the only site on the net that tracks install base on a site i work on .. yeah how dare I use VGCHartz numbers.

Dude. Check what site you're on right now.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
donsterydo2 said:
Seece said:
FireBringer said:

Actually it isn't selling faster than "move", infact they (MS) lowered projections because of it. MS suffered better initial sales than Move did (week 1) but now they are on their same straw. I believe 360 owners are a little bit more protective of their tech and bought it than on Sony's camp. This is why they bought it on pre-order more so than the Move. But since these guys are gone from the market now, their sales will go stale just like the info says for data after week 1 so far. Once the buzz is gone, Kinect isn't anything special and won't sell as well as you think. Kinect is a snore fest, not ONE good game out nor coming out. Sad but true. I don't know a single person who bought the Kinect, and I know mess loads of 360 owners. Sorry, but I know this Kinect hype is just that, hype.. When the Black 360 revision came out, they all upgraded, and that sold well. None bought this, so I know it will die out flat in the water after the initial burst of sales. Not trying to hate, but people aren't gonna spend $150 for a stupid camera that costs $50 to make. Microsoft has to make the product a lot more appealing than it's now..

Never seen so much denial, rofl

He fails at so many levels :)

I agree with Firebringer =D, but he failed to remember that people bought the 360 regardless of all it's short comings.

A next gen machine that wasn't internet capable out the box, couldn't display in HD out of the box, to get it on the internet you needed to buy a proprietary dongle that would run your $100 extra dollars oh and $60 games =P.

The guys who baught 360 did so despite knowing that it could or actually would RROD on you to which you've probably lost a system and a game and that for the first two or three years Microsoft refused to acknowledge this issue.

People baught it despite all the issues that plauged the machine.

But firebringer hit the nail on the head, games... are the games our enough to warrent the purchases. If his speculation is true then nope =P.

I'm not sure what system you're talking about, because when I brought my xbox home I had it displaying in HD and logged into live that same day, without having purchased any extra equipment...

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
kowenicki said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I'm sorry, but 745k install base is so wrong.  Every single one of my friends who bought move, bought ONE move controler, and no eyetoy because they all already have one (Not saying everyone did, just keep that in mind).  You guys need to stop coming up with these outrageous claims about what is the actual install base.  All I'm saying is that we will never know what the install base is, but I would guess it is about 1 million, if there are only 1.5 million moves sold.

P.S.  Of coarse Kinect is still selling better than Move but I am getting tired of people trying to state what the install base is because NOBODY knows!  Just keep in mind that as long as kinect has sold a similar amount of cameras, it is higher.  Oh and don't get me started on the claim that no one is buying move software....some people....

I agree we will never know the install base, but when are all these unique adopters going to start buying the move software?  Only software sales can provide any real indication and those arent too sparkling right now.

doesn't help much that most of move's line-up has been thrown out as if it is invalid or something.  i got and love my move but i'm re-playing heavy rain and i'm sure a lot of people are playing resident evil and mag and all the other games backward compatible with move.  then some of the best games are psn based like tumble, echochrome ii, under siege so obviously we'll never see those sales either.  and things like lbp2, killzone3, dead space won't count either because they are move exclusive games.  for some reason, eyepet isn't allowed to count either even though it's basically a move exclusive.

move is great and i love it and it is influencing which games i buy based off of what supports it....but i'm not going to buy a crappytacular game like kung fu rider.

i'm quite happy to see the good sales for kinect software but when kinect doesn't have any backwards compatibility or downloadable titles like move does it isn't as you say a "like for like" comparision.

I see that, but surely Move has to get some big selling unique titles to make it a success?  if its always going to be mainly  just an alternative control system it is never going to get any serious traction in sales.

And devs will never know exactly what the breakdown is between Move/Traditional controls used. How will they know that using move will greatly benefit their game? All we've seen so far is that Kinect only SW is flying of the shelves and apart from Sports Champions, move SW is lacklustre.

motion controls are terrible, kinect is very limited in what it can do, gaming is dying, oh great more exercise games, motion controls are worse than standard controls etc. etc. etc. 

Sorry for half assing it but I'm working on a presentation 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

De85 said:
dib8rman said:
donsterydo2 said:
Seece said:
FireBringer said:

Actually it isn't selling faster than "move", infact they (MS) lowered projections because of it. MS suffered better initial sales than Move did (week 1) but now they are on their same straw. I believe 360 owners are a little bit more protective of their tech and bought it than on Sony's camp. This is why they bought it on pre-order more so than the Move. But since these guys are gone from the market now, their sales will go stale just like the info says for data after week 1 so far. Once the buzz is gone, Kinect isn't anything special and won't sell as well as you think. Kinect is a snore fest, not ONE good game out nor coming out. Sad but true. I don't know a single person who bought the Kinect, and I know mess loads of 360 owners. Sorry, but I know this Kinect hype is just that, hype.. When the Black 360 revision came out, they all upgraded, and that sold well. None bought this, so I know it will die out flat in the water after the initial burst of sales. Not trying to hate, but people aren't gonna spend $150 for a stupid camera that costs $50 to make. Microsoft has to make the product a lot more appealing than it's now..

Never seen so much denial, rofl

He fails at so many levels :)

I agree with Firebringer =D, but he failed to remember that people bought the 360 regardless of all it's short comings.

A next gen machine that wasn't internet capable out the box, couldn't display in HD out of the box, to get it on the internet you needed to buy a proprietary dongle that would run your $100 extra dollars oh and $60 games =P.

The guys who baught 360 did so despite knowing that it could or actually would RROD on you to which you've probably lost a system and a game and that for the first two or three years Microsoft refused to acknowledge this issue.

People baught it despite all the issues that plauged the machine.

But firebringer hit the nail on the head, games... are the games our enough to warrent the purchases. If his speculation is true then nope =P.

I'm not sure what system you're talking about, because when I brought my xbox home I had it displaying in HD and logged into live that same day, without having purchased any extra equipment...

I think he's talking about the original models, which lacked an HDMI port, so they could only display up to 1080i (as opposed to 1080p) through component cable.  As far as online, he's talking about Wi-Fi, since all models before the new 360 model lacked Wi-Fi.  You had to purchase a seperate adapter, or run an ethernet cable to your 360.

kowenicki said:
Seece said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

to sort of dampen its success....

It's really sad because some will look at your and Seece's comments and think you're being overly sensitive or trying to pick fights.  But the stealth troll nature of many here goes unnoticed by many but is still just as destructive to the community.

Another are those that keep referencing the so-called "$500 million marketing push" that we really don't know much about nor how it compares to other marketing campaign amounts.  It's just another stealth troll technique used to often here.  It's sad that they can't simply give a compliment without it being underhanded, but whatever ...