By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 2 of the most underrated or forgotten guitarists

Rafux said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Eddie Van Halen is under-rated. I'd put him in the top 5 all time easily but the rolling stone magazine only put him like 80th or something in their top 100 guitarists.

Never believe any mainstream publication, Rolling Stone magazine would put the jonas brothers in the top ten if they got paid enough money. But anyhow I don't think EVH is under-rated the guy is a legend.

Hahaha so true! Their list was terrible.

Well he's certainly not under-rated overall but he was under-rated by Rolling Stone which is easily the biggest music magazine in America (not sure about Europe)

Around the Network

My submissions:

George Benson - Breezin' (1976). Version with Carlos Santana

Chet Atkins:

Here's Chet and Mark Knopfler (who is vastly underrated too):

Some nice sweep picking by Chet around the 1:30 min mark. He's in his 60's in the video with Mark.

Here's more Chet, playing his immortal classic 'Mr Sandman'. Remember, this is almost 60 years old:

Speaking of Mark Knopfler, here's Sultans of Swing....One of the most epic guitar songs ever:

(it takes a few minutes to really get into the song...But let it play out, its a 10 minute song and most of it is a massive, epic solo ala Freebird but 10x better.)

Those would be 3 of mine. Your rarely going to hear about Benson, Atkins or Knopfler in a 'guitar gods' thread, but they were standouts of their eras (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s)...Great tones and technique.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Carlos Santana :D

Chairman-Mao said:
Mr.Metralha said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Eddie Van Halen is under-rated. I'd put him in the top 5 all time easily but the rolling stone magazine only put him like 80th or something in their top 100 guitarists.

Lemme guess: That magazine puts someone from the rolling stones in n#1?

http://www.listology.com/story/rolling-stone-100-greatest-guitarists

Top 5 were: Hendrix, Duane Allman, BB King, Eric Clapton and Robert Johnson.

Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) was #10

Not a terrible list but I find Hendrix kinda over-rated. I'm a big Van Halen fan so I'm biased towards EVH.

Keith Richards at 10?

Jack White 17? I like the stripes and the stones 

But where in the fuck is Joe Bonamassa?  Rolling Stone relevent in the 60's and early 70's but now?

mrstickball said:

My submissions:

George Benson - Breezin' (1976). Version with Carlos Santana

Chet Atkins:

Here's Chet and Mark Knopfler (who is vastly underrated too):

Some nice sweep picking by Chet around the 1:30 min mark. He's in his 60's in the video with Mark.

Here's more Chet, playing his immortal classic 'Mr Sandman'. Remember, this is almost 60 years old:

Speaking of Mark Knopfler, here's Sultans of Swing....One of the most epic guitar songs ever:

(it takes a few minutes to really get into the song...But let it play out, its a 10 minute song and most of it is a massive, epic solo ala Freebird but 10x better.)

Those would be 3 of mine. Your rarely going to hear about Benson, Atkins or Knopfler in a 'guitar gods' thread, but they were standouts of their eras (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s)...Great tones and technique.

WOW! Those vids were awsome, I have heard about those guitarist but always forget to check them, great.

Around the Network

I am risking ridicule here but imho:

Brad Paisley

Ron wood with faces, an underrated band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PXMCCTMwM

Chairman-Mao said:
Mr.Metralha said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Lemme guess: That magazine puts someone from the rolling stones in n#1?

http://www.listology.com/story/rolling-stone-100-greatest-guitarists

Top 5 were: Hendrix, Duane Allman, BB King, Eric Clapton and Robert Johnson.

Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) was #10

Not a terrible list but I find Hendrix kinda over-rated. I'm a big Van Halen fan so I'm biased towards EVH.

I personally enjoy Eric Clapton and I have the utmost respect for that man, but his presence even in the top 10 is laughable.

He doesn't compare to the technical skill of the other 4. Even Robert Johnson is just in that list because he revolutionized guitar playing on those old days, because for today standards he wouldn't be there for sure.