By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Call of Duty: Black Ops 5.6 Million Day 1 Sales

Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells 5.6 Million Copies New title becomes the biggest entertainment launch in history. November 11, 2010

The first-day results are in, and they are staggering.

Activision announced this morning Call of Duty: Black Ops sold 5.6 million copies in North America and the United Kingdom and generated $360 million in revenue in its first 24 hours on sale.

The publisher as seen day-one growth for the series, with an increase from the 4.7 million copies and $310 million in revenue that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 saw in its first day last year.

"There has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records for two consecutive years and we are on track to outperform last year's five-day global sales record of $550 million," said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc.

"The game's success underscores the pop culture appeal of the brand. Call of Duty: Black Ops is the finest game that Treyarch has ever made and raises the bar for online gameplay by delivering the deepest and most intense Call of Duty experience yet."

"The Call of Duty franchise has over 25 million players around the world that are engaged in billions of hours of online gameplay, and we are committed to supporting them with new content and features on a more frequent and regular basis," Kotick added.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1133549p1.html

I think I read somewhere here that we estimated 7 million first day sales. Thats a good 1.4 million off(see, alot, though to be fair it isn't counting other European countries) but it doesn't change the fact that this title launched massively. Too bad, since I hate to see Kotick rake it in after what hes put Activision through.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

And VGC put NA and UK sales at 5 million, VGC might actually have undertracked it! These games are just huge!

Seinfeld: "That's a shame.."

3.6 in US
1.4 in UK
350k in Canada

Looks like vgchartz was right on the money, if possibly slightly undertracked