By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FPS Map Design, 1993 and Today

sort of true... sort of false... sort of missleading.  I'd say more but I'm tight for time.  I'll maybe edit later as this topic does interest me.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

This is a perfect example of how cinematics and more horsepower is actually HURTING games in a way. The more graphics and horsepower is crammed into a game, the more time this takes to make it, and resources are shifted from the games mechanics and openended gameplay, and towards the technological aspects. If you think of a game with great graphics, chances are it's not very open ended. This is why I and many others prefer retro games for the most part. Back then there was not as much time and resources needed on the technological aspects like graphics, so there was more room to create, well, more "room."

What about the maps from Crysis and Operation Flashpoint: DR?

Gilgamesh said:

1993 represents entire game

2010 represents one level, enough said.

hmmm bad comment here dude

Vetteman94 said:

What about the maps from Crysis and Operation Flashpoint: DR?

Some games still do that, which is great, but the trend is the one in the OP

Around the Network

That image illustrates more genres than just FPS's...

NiKKoM said:

Does anyone actually knows how those old games sold? I can only find that Quake 2 was at 1.000.000 plus and Quake 1 at 550.000....  So it's not really strange that developers made everything more noob friendly to get more sales... *looks at Black Ops sales numbers*

*Maybe* it's because gaming has grown quite a bit since those days.

youarebadatgames said:

^ - An example of skill

Regenerating health is exactly why campfests happen, there are no items to fight for so you might as well sit around.

I miss these FPS Games.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

UT3 Deathmach.

4K^hypno vs mouz|kiLLu - 30,000$ play.com UT3 Duel Finals London - DM-Gritt

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Nice, I spent a lot of time playing 2k4, which I think has the higher playercount today compared to UT3 lol.  I miss the shock rifle, I hope they don't let the UT franchise die.