By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Suing Motorola Over Xbox 360 Tech

Antabus said:
alekth said:

Motorola made a "promise"? Seriously, aren't those things decided in written form and approved by both sides?

Yeah and that is why there is a court case.

I should sue the girl who  promised to marry me in kindergarten...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

eeww, 360 has Motorola technology in it!?

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

NiKKoM said:
Antabus said:
alekth said:

Motorola made a "promise"? Seriously, aren't those things decided in written form and approved by both sides?

So you think that a written contract between 2 companies is as binding as a promise in kindergarten? Nice.

Antabus said:
NiKKoM said:
Antabus said:
alekth said:

So you think that a written contract between 2 companies is as binding as a promise in kindergarten? Nice.

When talking about something as nebulous as a "promise", it shouldn't be any more binding than a kindergarten promise.

whatever said:
Antabus said:
NiKKoM said:
Antabus said:
alekth said:

When talking about something as nebulous as a "promise", it shouldn't be any more binding than a kindergarten promise.

Did you even bother to read this part:

"Microsoft is asking the courts to determine a more reasonable royalty rate for the use of the technology, along with compensation for Motorola's alleged breach of contract."

Around the Network
Antabus said:
whatever said:
Antabus said:
NiKKoM said:
Antabus said:
alekth said:

"Microsoft is asking the courts to determine a more reasonable royalty rate for the use of the technology, along with compensation for Motorola's alleged breach of contract."

A suit has been filed in a Federal Court in Seattle by Microsoft, alleging Motorola "broke its promise" in regards to patent licensing by charging "royalties that are excessive and discriminatory" for the technology included in the Xbox 360.

Yep, a contract and a promise aren't the same, if we add that the "promise" is to apply "reasonable" pricing, we get a wide degree of subjectivity. I can't see MS getting money back, but a compromise between the two parties for the future is very likely. If totally losing and without reaching a compromise, MS could be forced to prematurely kill its console again, although this time maybe it could let it live its whole minimum planned life as main console, but give up letting it live further, after next gen release, as entry level model, as royalties for 3rd parties techs would become excessive to price it low enough for its new role.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Thats probably one good reason why the 360 didn't come with Wifi out of the box. Its good to see this cleared up a little.

Tease.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Yep, a contract and a promise aren't the same, if we add that the "promise" is to apply "reasonable" pricing, we get a wide degree of subjectivity. I can't see MS getting money back, but a compromise between the two parties for the future is very likely. If totally losing and without reaching a compromise, MS could be forced to prematurely kill its console again, although this time maybe it could let it live its whole minimum planned life as main console, but give up letting it live further, after next gen release, as entry level model, as royalties for 3rd parties techs would become excessive to price it low enough for its new role.

verbal conrtracts can be legally binding; what makes you think that they don't have a written contract anyway? Just because some idiot wrote promise instead of agreement?

hobbit said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

verbal conrtracts can be legally binding; what makes you think that they don't have a written contract anyway? Just because some idiot wrote promise instead of agreement?

If we discuss, resting on what we can read is still one step above doing it on hypotheses about what the source really wanted to write, this until we get more reliable infos about the issue, partially or totally confirming or denying it. Anyway, even if it was a verbal and valid contract, the fact that the deal, or promise, or whatever was about charging a "not excessive, discriminatory, punishing, unfair, whatever" fee, still leaves a high degree of uncertainty and subjectivity, enforcing such a clause won't be easy, unless Motorola's request be really and undeniably crazy.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!