By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii User Base has Gone Through a Transformation

This is the best explantion for increased sales of games that had slower starts earlier in the Wii's life. (SPM, MP3, etc)

The reason? People like me who were waiting for that one game that I just had to have to buy the Wii. Mario Galaxy! TP would have done it better had it been exclusive.

Before MG the only people who bought Wii were casuals and core(nintendo core) gamers. But that middle class that had no reason to. These are the people who read reviews before they buy games, and keep up with new games and such but are not neccessarily passionate. They will buy a lot of games becuase they like them, and games don't last them as long since they aren't going waste their time finding every last gold bug. With MG, the Wii is finally getting these gamers in bulk. That is why the classic Wii stereotype that software sells bad on Wii is being turned upside down right now.

One thing to remember is that these gamers like MP 8, M & S, RRR, but they also like MP3, RE4, UC, and such. With them on board the Wii will start to see more balanced software sales, with every category selling well and some fantastically(Multiplayer)

Another I notice is that Manhunt has sold farely well considering it is a terrible game... 110k sold in US alone is not terrible, it is about the same as the PS2 version. This audience like those type of games, hopefully 3rd Party devs will see this and bring RE5, MGS4, FF13 and others to the Wii.

To some things up in conclusion the Wii has changed we need to start reformulating our economic models to fit this. My prediction is that the Wii software will follow patterns of old, like in the SNES and NES days when games made modest deputs and had legs for years. Not this holywood blockbuster movie mentallity that the PS1-3 and Xboxes have had(not without exception of course).

Thank you for reading-

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

nice read

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

tokilamockingbrd said:

This is the best explantion for increased sales of games that had slower starts earlier in the Wii's life. (SPM, MP3, etc)

The reason? People like me who were waiting for that one game that I just had to have to buy the Wii. Mario Galaxy! TP would have done it better had it been exclusive.

Before MG the only people who bought Wii were casuals and core(nintendo core) gamers. But that middle class that had no reason to. This are the people who read reviews before they buy games, and keep up with new games and such but are not neccessarliy passionate. They will buy a lot of games becuase they like them, and games don't last them as long since they aren't going waste their time finding every last gold bug. With MG, the Wii is finally getting these gamers in bulk. That is why the classic Wii stereotype that software sells bad on Wii is being turned upside down right now.

One thing to remember is that these gamers like MP 8, M & S, RRR, but they also like MP3, RE4, UC, and such. With them on board the Wii will start to see more balanced software sales, with every category selling well and some fantastically(Multiplayer)

Another I notice is that Manhunt has sold farely well considering it is a terrible game... 110k sold in US alone is not terrible, it is about the same as the PS2 version. This audience like those type of games, hopefully 3rd Party devs will see this and bring RE5, MGS4, FF13 and others to the Wii.

To some things up in conclusion the Wii has changed we need to start reformulating our economic models to fit this. My prediction is that the Wii software will follow patterns of old, like in the SNES and NES days when games made modest deputs and had legs for years. Not this holywood blockbuster movie mentallity that the PS1-3 and Xboxes have had(not without exception of course).

Thank you for reading-

The Nintendo "economic model" hasn't changed. Its following the same pattern as the SNES and NES.

oh nevermind I see what your saying, its our expectations that need to change.  Don't expect Wii games to have stellar first week sales but expect it to have good legs ??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

RolStoppable said:
Resident Evil 5 is already in development for the Wii and will (obviously) feature a superior control scheme. Also, Capcom is going to show us how good a 3rd party Wii game can look.

That's a rumor posted by Bikerboy on his website.

oh no not another surfergirl....

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

when I say not the "blockbuster" mentallity I was not saying firsy weeks would not be great MG did over 1.1 m ww its first week, I am saying % percent of total sales first week. Right now Halo 3 has over 50% totals sales from week 1, not gonna happen on Wii, I'd maybe 20% for highly anticipated games and maybe higher if it is highly antipated and it sucks(because it would not have legs then)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

the only problem wiht halo3 is that is the reason why 50% of xbox360 owners bought the 360 was for halo3. everyone knows it that is why the wii has a more diverse fanbase and doesnt have that one game like halo3 that carries 50% of the sales for its system.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Let us hope the entire industry gets out of the "blockbuster" mentality.

"hopefully 3rd Party devs will see this and bring RE5, MGS4, FF13 and others to the Wii."

Won't happen. And why should it? RE5 is essentially RE4 with awesome graphics and atmosphere. Something that won't be possible on the Wii. Its graphical power is simply much more PS2 than PS3. (Yes SMG looks nice but the comic look was very helpful SM Shunshine looked almost the same.)
If developers want to have hits on the Wii they will have to use the innovative control scheme of the Wii, developers will rather make their own side-games for the Wii (RE:UC), but why should they port FFXIII or MGS4 when they cannot use their textures, models, shaders but would have to do anything from scratch? This generation there are two game platforms: The Wii and the rest. And there won't be many games that will be available on both sides.

RolStoppable said:
Resident Evil 5 is already in development for the Wii and will (obviously) feature a superior control scheme. Also, Capcom is going to show us how good a 3rd party Wii game can look.

That's a rumor posted by Bikerboy on his website.

bah, I like hooverfrog and scubafish much better. Way more accurate.

For example, Hooverfrog predicted there would be a Mario Party game for the Wii AND the DS. and see what happened?

Scubafish actually went so far as to predict you could buy a wiimote separately from the wii console and that you could buy batteries for the wiimote separately as well. crazy predictions but have proven to come true. so there you go, my two most favorite sources. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Nintendownsmii said:
Let us hope the entire industry gets out of the "blockbuster" mentality.

Those developers that don't may not be long for this industry.