By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 7 best new IPs this generation

Jdevil3 said:

Uuh... the list is full of western games :/

I really don't like a single game on this list... but that's just my opinion :P just like that list is the writer's opinion :P

Professor Layton is not a western IP - but that's okay.

Plus, this list is spot on with my feelings - sans the lack of LBP.  It would - though, be still placed after Professor Layton imo, therefor this list should have been top 10, including 8) LBP, 9) Dead Space, and 10) No More Heroes

IMO at least.

Around the Network

I agree with the top 3.

Well deserved for ME beeing number one - one of the greatest games ever,

and definitely the greatest new IP the PS360ii generation has to offer.

It was such a blast to play it. ME - I will never forget you- love you.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

CGI-Quality said:

I love all the complaints that the list is "worthless, bad, crap". It's his opinion, if you have a "better" list (which is subjective anyway) that's fine. But this isn't your list, it's his.

I could have made a list and changed some games myself, but you won't catch me moaning about it.

So are you looking for only positive posts in a thread now? Opinions can, and often are bad. Some people are still of the opinion that any given console is crap, and should never have been made. Does that mean if I made a thread to that effect that people should simply accept it and move on? The hiding behind the word "opinion" has gotten so far out of hand on this site that it almost disgusts me at times, although that is not really directed at you.

Opinions are not some magical ultimate defense that nothing can change. Opinions have to be based on facts in order to be valid, and cannot contradict said facts. The basis for the opinion of this poor top 7 list is put out in the open for why certain series were included, but remarkably absent on why other ones that are undeniably more popular, and more influential on the gaming industry are ignored in favor of games that "hardcore" gamers are more likely to identify with.

Seriously and objectively look at this list for a second and think what have those series really done. All of them are great games in their own way, but best of the best? Not fully, no. The best iPs of a generation are always the ones that resonate the most with the consumer, and help change the face of the gaming scene. I can't think of a single game on that list that has even come close to accomplishing that. Hell anyone familiar with System Shock 2 will tell you it is hard to even count Bioshock as a new IP, and happily point out that all the major improvements cited are more easily attributed to the studios earlier work. I could make a list much better than this that would get a lot of people calling it crap, but would be easily defensible and ultimately impossible to completely scrap on the basis of poor logic and incomplete analysis.

This list is poor, but really thats what you expect from Gameradar. They have an obvious 360 slant. What gets me is every time someone attacks a poorly thought out list, or an ill-informed opinion people try to silence the criticism in the most meaningless of possible ways. His opinion can be wrong. His opinion can be extremely biased, and not based on sound logic or judgment. Attempting to sweep what everyone is saying under the rug whilst simultaneously dismissing their criticisms out of hand is intellectually dishonest, and against the very concept of a discussion.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I would not even include L4D in the top 20. A zombie shooting FPS in the top 7 best new IP's?

COD:WAW's zombie mode was better then L4D in terms of a zombie shooter IMO.

The rest of the list isn't bad.

Around the Network
Rawnchie14 said:
Jdevil3 said:

Uuh... the list is full of western games :/

I really don't like a single game on this list... but that's just my opinion :P just like that list is the writer's opinion :P

Professor Layton is not a western IP - but that's okay.

Plus, this list is spot on with my feelings - sans the lack of LBP.  It would - though, be still placed after Professor Layton imo, therefor this list should have been top 10, including 8) LBP, 9) Dead Space, and 10) No More Heroes

IMO at least.

Yeah, I know that one isn't western, but it's the only one in the list, the rest is all western, that's why I said it was full of western games xD

Anyways, as I said before, I think it's just the writer's opinion so... whatever xD

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Wait... aren't these listings supposed to suck or what? This one is good!

CGI-Quality said:

No, but not liking/agreeing with the list is one thing. Saying it's "worthless" to me is unecessary, because it's claiming one opinion is instantly superior, as matter of fact. I have a problem with that. I think the list is good - opinion. You think the list is poor - opinion. You can argue, bitch, complain all day long, but it changes nothing. I don't fully agree with everything there either, so I'm not posting against objection, but method of objection.

You missed the point. Some opinions ARE better than others. It is a simple fact of life, and easily demonstrable. Some people are of the opinion that certain races are inherently superior to others. I am of the opinion that they are all the same. My opinion is better. In this case I could go into a long diatribe as to why it is poor, but so far everything I have stated has been ignored and thus I don't care to go into greater detail. You can say it is an opinion, but opinions are normally wrong.

To hold one side of the discussion to such a higher bar than the other is not even close valid. You are complaining that people dismiss it but where is you complaint about people who blindly accept it? Are they adding anything more to the discussion? Quite obviously not. They are neither detracting nor adding anymore than people like myself who simply dismiss it as horribly biased, and out of touch. The fact that you are only complaining about one side doing something, while implicitly giving the other side a pass is objection to disagreement.

Dallinor said:

I would not even include L4D in the top 20. A zombie shooting FPS in the top 7 best new IP's?

COD:WAW's zombie mode was better then L4D in terms of a zombie shooter IMO.

The rest of the list isn't bad.

That is overly dismissive of what Left 4 Dead actually offers though. It is not the shooting zombies aspect that is appealing. It is a game being based around 4 player co-op survival that is good. It does an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse while emphasizing the truth that you would have to work together to ever hope to survive. Still I wouldn't put it in the top 7, but it would easily make top 20 new franchises simply because there haven't been that many great franchises.

Pretty good list. I really am glad that Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Uncharted, and Mass Effect all made it. All such good games.

However on a personal level I don't think Left 4 Dead or Bioshock deserve to be on the list. Others may really enjoy them but I found them to be dull and repetitive.

Notable mentions that should be on there: Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet and Dead Space!