By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Apple could have had Kinect technology before Microsoft.

zarx said:

weren't nintendo offered the tech in like 07 or something? And they turned it down because it was to expensive and laggy at the time?

Yeah. 2 years before Microsoft if I'm not mistaken.

And they said no, for those 2 reasons and because the wiimote would give them better results.

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Sony was offered the technology, and they realized it wasn't what they were looking for since they were looking for a more "precise" entertainment experience, and they already had tried full body motion before so they turned it dow

really?

Source?

justinian said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is so special about Kinect technology - I am not dissing the device.

It's just that it is only a freaking camera with software.

OK, I know originally that there was a chip embedded in the unit that was removed but for a company like Apple that now produces it's own processors, chips and OS why won't they simply develope their own motion sensing system.

Where would the patents conflict? I don't get it.

essentially its just cameras that map your movement, its the exact same thing as sony's eyetoy but it maps 3d environments - depth perception was added with the second camera.

the patents wouldnt conflict, sony could produce something very similar, doing the exact same thing actually, so could apple or nintendo, or well, kids in their moms basements now.  now that microsoft has done it it will be easy for a group of kids to learn and emulate.  open source drivers have already been started to allow anyone with kinect hardware to use it on their computers.

if the ps3 was more hackable i have no doubt that you would see homebrew kinect games on the ps3 within six months to a year

it may not even be a negative for microsoft, they wouldnt have to update their own drivers anymore once the community gets their hands on it.  they could just copy what the community does; much like theyre already doing with googles opensource chrome browser.

Apple wasn't that foolish. Kinect at the time was very unproven technology and any company adopting it was and is to this day taking a major gamble. Nintendo got offered the tech in 2007 and turned it down for various reasons. Also Microsoft themselves say voice recognition is the future in a recent article I read that Microsoft plans to use the voice recognition software in their future windows phones and computers.

So the question is what exactly did Apple miss out on? Plenty of competitors have camera's heck even UbiSoft had their own camera and claimed the technology they had could be modified to rival Kinect. Sony has the Eye-Toy and theirs like three or four other companies around the globe trumpeting their own technologies.

Apple or Nintendo for that matter if they really wanted could create their own camera's and their own software. They aren't missing out on much. Also the camera itself isn't even Microsoft's vision of the future recent statements suggest voice control is what they want for the near future.

So Apple will wait and see how Kinect does, they will wait and right now probubly already have teams developing similiar technology. If Microsoft is on to something and the camera is indeed the future then I bet Apple will launch their own I-Camera and wow you know they will have missed out on what? The early dev costs, the trial runs, the gamble of launching the technology.

They will stand to benefit more from Kinect then Microsoft themselves if they implement it right and Kinect succeeds.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

This is not a device for gaming. I'm sure a lot of hardcore fans didn't buy this. This would be horrible for the rest of the world when it comes to sales.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Around the Network

Apple should not worry about kinect

kinect is useless when it comes to portable/phone
kinect is even more useless when it comes to computer
and kinect is slower than a TV remote when it comes to navigate on your TV

also, MS has no brand ...

Time to Work !

seems to me that Apple was very interested in the tech.  But they played hardball so Primesense gave up on Apple, not the other way around.

Mr.Metralha said:
leo-j said:

Sony was offered the technology, and they realized it wasn't what they were looking for since they were looking for a more "precise" entertainment experience, and they already had tried full body motion before so they turned it dow

really?

Source?

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/07/27/sony-rejected-kinect-before-move/

Sony rejected Kinect before Move

Well technology is fairly simple and straightforward, so Im sure many companies could buy it.

The software behind kinect is key...that apple/Sony/Nintendo can not buy and have to make their own.

disolitude said:

Well technology is fairly simple and straightforward, so Im sure many companies could buy it.

The software behind kinect is key...that apple/Sony/Nintendo can not buy and have to make their own.

Probably, the most delicate part is calibration, in a large open space, IR light reflected by players should stand out quite sharply against a dim background, but they can't know in advance how bright each domestic environment will appear for that particular wavelenght used (and choosing it to be bright for the largest possible range of clothes and skins and for the narrowest one of furniture materials and wall paints must have been another delicate task).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!