By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Tournament 3 Review

http://ps3.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r26384.htm

I know is not your IGN or Gamespot but for those looking forward to this game it is a nice read.

Unreal Tournament 3 Review

Dating back to 1998, the Unreal series (the single-player campaign at least) began with the self-titled Unreal on the PC. Back then, Epic Games and Digital Extremes helped evolve the looks and AI of video games to the point it even surpassed what could be done in the id Tech 2 engine, the engine which ran Quake II. Now almost 10 years later, and eight games into the series, how does the Unreal series stack up against next-generation shooters?

Unreal Tournament 3 isn’t trying to re-invent the wheel or create fire out of thin air. What Epic Games attempted to provide for gamers was a feeling of home where they can settle in and get cozy without having to worry about epic changes in the gameplay. If you have ever played a game in the Unreal series, then you should come to expect the lightning-fast action that dares you, for one second, not to blink one single time for your safety of being protected from a death. What Unreal Tournament 3 does best is provide a graphical overhaul for the series, intriguing maps to play on, and exceptionally laid out gameplay modes. With experiencing so many military-based first-person shooters, players should be overwhelmingly excited to play UT3 for its laser-charged, hyper-active gameplay.

Beginning with the most insignificant portion of UT3, the single-player campaign is nothing to write home for the holidays about. Revolving around a dull storyline, players are pitted into a series of matches against bots where the only way to advance is to obtain victory over your adversaries. Instead of being a sport, the Unreal Tournament is now an all-out war. Leading the way to find Akasha, an evil Necris woman, you’ll take charge as Reaper, a man bent on revenge for the despicable deeds she has done to your colony. The campaign will last anywhere from six to eight hours, which is broken down into chapters for storyline purposes.

The campaign should be primarily used as a tutorial/training mode to study up on the maps and weapons. If you approach the single player as such, then you should be ready to go to battle through the multiplayer modes and compete with human opponents. Back to the single player though – players are able to join with up to three friends via online co-op to tackle the single-player missions. The problem here is that you are still facing A.I. bots. The real reason for bringing your friends into your single-player campaign is to crank up the difficulty level and try to annihilate the computer with ease. Just mark it up as practice and you shouldn’t find it too aggravating to play. But still, I highly doubt hardcore gamers will fully appreciate the single-player campaign when it’s so weak compared to the competition in the genre.

Now for the multiplayer - Unreal Tournament 3 comes packaged with six different multiplayer modes: Team deathmatch, deathmatch, duel, capture the flag, warfare, and vehicle capture the flag. The two deathmatches are your typical free-for-all battles that can be found in any shooter. Meanwhile, duel pits players in one-on-one action where the other players spectate and wait for their turn to face the winner. The two CTF matches are what players should have come to expect from the standard CTF matches from any other shooter. As for warfare, it’s similar to the onslaught mode of the past where players are asked to capture points on the map to gain vehicles, spawn points, and other perks. When players finally reach the enemy based, of course after successfully reaching and capturing the other points (otherwise known as nodes) on the map, they can take over the enemy base by linking up the nodes and destroy it for the win.

Returning to the series are many of the favorite weapons from the past including the bio rifle, flak cannon, rocket launcher, shock rifle, link gun, tarydium stinger and a few others. If you haven’t played an Unreal game in the past, then it should be noted that every gun comes equipped with a secondary fire mode to aide players in a bind. The Impact Hammer is able to even the odds up by knocking the power-ups out of enemies. Also, players will start out with a pistol and on top of that, there the redeemer has been brought back. The redeemer is a super weapon that comes in the form of a guided missile that is able to take down vehicles. Oddly enough, after playing through Unreal Tournament 2004 for comparison, the weapons haven’t been changed up enough to notice a wide enough difference between the two games.

The biggest change, and the one that affected me the most, was the removal of the adrenaline counter. I didn’t know prior to playing UT3 that Epic had removed it, so it came as a big surprise not to have it included in UT3. In the past, the adrenaline counter permitted players to build up the meter through the means of kills or picking up items on the map to gain access to abilities such as invisibility, but with it removed, it felt like a little part of my soul died. Actually, I am betting there’ll be many others that’ll be sad to find out there are no longer special rewards for player to take advantage of.

In terms of vehicles, they can be broken down by the two factions: the Axon vehicles and the Necris vehicles. Among the better Axon vehicles, personal favorites included the Paladin (a smaller support tank with an energy shield) and the Scorpion (an assault buggy that’s equipped with grenades). On the other side, for the Necris, the more favorable vehicles ended up being the Nemesis (a tank of sorts that is equipped with an energy turret) and the Nightshade (a vehicle with capabilities to cloak). Nonetheless, with the plethora of vehicles at hand, Epic Games provided enough spice for the gameplay that should excite fans of online games for some time to come.

Now for the graphics -- Unreal Tournament 3 uses the Unreal Engine 3. If gamers didn’t know this prior, then they for sure have been living under a rock for the last two years. The graphics, for the most part, make good use of the UE3 and the power of the PS3. From gorgeous character models to smooth animations, the graphics are among the best I have seen on the PlayStation 3 to date. The levels are highly detailed with crisp textures and so too are the character models to make up a beautiful game. As for the audio, it’s what I expected with energetic music and loud explosions to accompany it. For those who want that nostalgic Unreal experience, UE3 has the announcer returning calling the action as he sees it.

Review Scoring Details for Unreal Tournament 3

Gameplay: 8.5
While it has continually been improved, the gameplay hasn’t remarkably changed over the years. Long-time fans are essentially playing the same game rebuilt with a new graphics engine. But, do not fret – the gameplay is still whole-heartedly entertaining. For PS3 fans, the large-scale combat is particularly the most intriguing part to experience online.

Graphics: 9.6
Beautiful in both motion and at a standstill, the Unreal Engine 3 provides eye-popping graphics for Unreal Tournament 3. Not having played Uncharted yet, I’d have to say this is the best game, in terms of graphics, to be released on the PS3.

Sound: 9.1
The announcer that Epic Games has provided is great to add to the intensity of the battles.

Difficulty: Medium
While the default settings are easy for the single-player campaign, the higher settings tend to be insanely hard.

Concept: 8.7
The combat is insane, but it’s basically the same game that has continuously been improved since 1998. Though, I will give props where props are due and the style is among the most unique to be released this year.

Multiplayer: 9.7
This is hands-down the best multiplayer game on the PS3 due to the ability create maps, skins and mods for the PS3 version.

Overall: 8.8
With all that said, the main reason I am captivated by UT3 is because how much it differs from shooters currently on the next-generation consoles. Too many shooters are still stuck in World War II or trying to “advance” to modern combat, while not enough are cranking up the speed and providing thrilling action to boot. If you have enjoyed the previous installments, then I have no doubt that Unreal Tournament 3 will be a fine purchase this holiday season.

Around the Network

GameDaily - 9/10

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/unreal-tournament-iii-/playstation-3/game-reviews/review/5346/1907/

kber81 said:

GameDaily - 9/10

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/unreal-tournament-iii-/playstation-3/game-reviews/review/5346/1907/

'Tis the season for fragging a friend with a Flak Cannon.

Posted by Robert Workman on Monday, December 10, 2007

The holidays just perked up for PlayStation 3 owners. Along with being able to snag quality first-party games, out comes another viable must-have with Midway's Unreal Tournament III. Even though the PC version slightly excels, this port is a fine continuation of the long-running first-person shooting series, with more than enough battle action to go around.

If you've played Unreal Tournament before, then you'll have a good idea of what to expect. The action is mostly the same, as you go through multiple maps and shoot at anything that moves (except your own teammates). The gameplay is tight, functioning properly with the SIXAXIS controller. You'll have no problem winding around corners with a Bio-Rifle, entering a battle while shooting lethal balls of goo at opponents. Don't expect weak competition, though -- the artificial intelligence adjusts accordingly. Very rarely will you encounter a stupid character.

There are notable new additions. Vehicles play a large part in Unreal Tournament this time around. You can climb into a variety of transports with the push of a button (ala Halo), such as a slow-moving tank with immense firepower or a near-weightless hovercraft with quick firing ability. This gives you a significant jump on enemies, whether they're on foot or cruising in their own heavily armored vehicle. Over the course of various levels, you'll also have access to a Back To the Future-like hoverboard. With it, you increase your acceleration and mobility, which is beneficial when returning to your base with an enemy's flag. However, it has disadvantages. While riding it, you're unable to shoot back at enemies. Once hit, you need a few seconds to recover from damage, leaving yourself wide open for a brutal attack. In one scene, we thought we were home free with the enemy's flag until a tank blast knocked us out. Following its attack, it closed in for the kill and ran us over. Ouch.

One thing to note about the vehicular action -- you can control movement of these vehicles using the SIXAXIS tilting function if you wish. It's manageable, but in the heat of combat, you may prefer analog movement instead.

As one might expect, Unreal Tournament III's frame rate on the PlayStation 3 is slightly less than the PC version. However, that doesn't make it any less noteworthy. The attention to detail is quite startling, too. Whether you're roaming around an outside map as waves crash against the rocks or rummaging through an indoor facility with a limited amount of lighting, you'll find yourself mesmerized by the stunning (albeit slightly confusing) map layouts.

You'll hear a lot of player chatter from both sides of the field. When a teammate isn't yelling out a request for support, you'll hear the enemy viciously taunt you -- particularly after they wipe you out. Some of it is rather cornball (one guy sounds like a full-blown religious zealot), but overall it's not bad. The background music that occasionally plays is very good. The sound effects really play a huge part here, though. If you hear the bang of Flak Cannons and Rocket Launchers go off in the distance, you can get an idea of your enemy's location and act accordingly.

One other new addition to Unreal Tournament is the new single-player campaign. You play a gruff hero who joins a group of no-nonsense mercenaries to battle a dominant alien race called the Necris. Each stage has a purpose, as you strike a blow to this empire (such as the shutdown of a power core) -- but they refuse to give up without a fight. Assisting arrows light up on occasion, in case you get lost or have difficulty finding a prime target. Hardcore Unreal Tournament players may express disappointment over the inclusion of this campaign, especially since a few beloved multiplayer modes from previous games didn't make the cut. However, don't be too hasty. It has enough content to hold its own.

If it is multiplayer action you crave, then Unreal Tournament has it in spades. Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch and Capture the Flag are obvious favorites, but the new Duel and Warpath modes are real attention getters. With Duel, you face off against an opponent on a smaller map, resulting in a more intimate battle. Warpath involves some strategy, as you must capture and shut down enemy nodes in order to make their energy core vulnerable. Although the multiplayer support is only half of what the PC version handles (ten to sixteen in comparison to thirty-two), the PS3 edition is still lots of fun.

The real significance with Unreal Tournament III on the PS3, however, is the Community support. For the first time in a console FPS, you're finally able to implement your own user-created mods – maps, modes, player creations – into the game. It's a feature that will no doubt take a lot of time and dedication. To devoted fans, however, it's a stellar inclusion. You're also able to receive messages, set up friend lists, seek out instant action matches and more.

Unreal Tournament continues to live up to its name, and part three on the PS3 is just as thrilling as its PC counterpart. Never mind its shortened multiplayer count and lack of extra modes -- there's enough here to keep you fragging through the holidays.

Our Final ScoreExcellent

If you have a PS3 and like FPS, you should have this.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I think I will go get this game this weekend.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music
Around the Network

1up.com- 8.0/10

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

psxextreme.com - 9.5/10

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-reviews/92.html

More Game Info

Graphics:9.4
Gameplay:9.5
Sound:9.0
Control:9.0
Replay Value:10.0
Online Gameplay:10.0
Overall Rating:9.5
Publisher:
 Midway
Developer:
 Epic Games
Number Of Players:
 1 (2-16)
Genre:
 First Person Shooter

cool wicked cant wait for it to come out in australia PUSH IT BACK ON ME :(

Own all Sony Stuff PS123P

Feburday 28th will be a Owner of a Wii

Currently playing: Need for Speed Pro Street

Games i own:
NEED FOR SPEED PRO STREET ,DW6 ,WARHAWK ,COD4,JUICED 2 ,RESISTANCE, MOTORSTORM

Games im lookin forward to:
UT3 (Ps3) , HAZE (Ps3) , KZ2 (Ps3) , MGS4 (Ps3) , SSBB (WII) , GT5 (Ps3) LBP (Ps3)
08 Predictions

Wii: 45,000,000
Ds: 90,000,000
PS3: 25,000,000
PSP: 40,000,000
360: 26,000,000

the funny part.. half the early reviews are without playing the online part... as servers were turned on Dec 11th.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
the funny part.. half the early reviews are without playing the online part... as servers were turned on Dec 11th.

That's too bad, because I bet scores for Halo 3 would be much lower without the MP.