By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP has passed GBA in Japan!

remember the release of the DS and PSP cut short the GBA's life.

But anyway, congrats to the PSP!

Around the Network

99% of PSPs in Japan are used to watch p0rn on the go. The GBA couldn't do that. :)

Congrats, PSP!

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Good stuff!

I love both systems very much.

That picture is the reason Chobot is a whore.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

KillerMan said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

Great for psp indeed, But to be fair gba was cut short by the ds releasing just 3 years after it 

That's good point but you must also remember that GBA had no competition at all. PSP has had DS and rising smartphone game market.

Smartphones aren't anything in Japan, at least in terms of games.  The rise of keitai (ie: mobile) gaming in Japan actually happened alongside GBA in the early 2000s, with 3 dominant platforms that still exist and thrive today for mobile games (NTT DoCoMo's iMode, KDDI's EZweb and Softbank's J-Phone).  GBA also released against just established handhelds like Neo*Geo Pocket Color and WonderSwan Color, though it made short work of them pretty quick... just because GBA either slaughtered (handhelds) or thrived against (mobiles) it's competition doesn't mean it never had any.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
KillerMan said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

Great for psp indeed, But to be fair gba was cut short by the ds releasing just 3 years after it 

That's good point but you must also remember that GBA had no competition at all. PSP has had DS and rising smartphone game market.

Smartphones aren't anything in Japan, at least in terms of games.  The rise of keitai (ie: mobile) gaming in Japan actually happened alongside GBA in the early 2000s, with 3 dominant platforms that still exist and thrive today for mobile games (NTT DoCoMo's iMode, KDDI's EZweb and Softbank's J-Phone).  GBA also released against just established handhelds like Neo*Geo Pocket Color and WonderSwan Color, though it made short work of them pretty quick... just because GBA either slaughtered (handhelds) or thrived against (mobiles) it's competition doesn't mean it never had any.

Haha yeah.

I remember being bummed because the third Ogre Battle game was a cell phone game.

Cell Phone games feel like they were always huge over there.