By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Leaving University to become a Chef. What does VGChartz think?

Should've stuck to your guns initially. Often you don't get a job in the field you studied for in college anyway, so you might as well study what you're passionate about, then deal with the rest after college

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Super Sized number 4 please.

(in hungry)

I also wanted to be an archaeologist since I was a child, but I got talked out of it in high school too (when I was about 13 though).

Chef is a good career though, particularly if you're good. It has good prospects. But on the other hand it does seem a shame to waste two years of hard work. Perhaps you could continue the bachelors part time (If your University would facilitate this) so you complete it in two years, but can also concentrate on becoming a chef.

Or perhaps you could take a gap year as a chef and if you decide it's not for you you can back to University and if you like it you can carry on.

Good luck whatever you do though.

NiKKoM said:

Teaching english in other countries is a great way to pick up asian girls... you have my blessing..

asian girls, generally lack tits.

Mr.Metralha said:
NiKKoM said:

Teaching english in other countries is a great way to pick up asian girls... you have my blessing..

asian girls, generally lack tits.

And ass.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

I'm currently 2 years into my Marketing & Sales course. I'm extremely bored and depressed. 

I originally wanted to do a Bachelor of Arts in Archaeology and Ancient History, but I was talked out of it in high school, mainly by my Literature teacher, family and a student counsellor. They argued that I'd struggle to find a job after I finished the course, that Australia isn't exactly the greatest place to find a job involving history. I got scared and backed out, instead I decided to keep it safe with a business course, which turned out to be the wrong choice.

So I've pretty much decided to walk out and do a TAFE course to become a chef, I'm also planning to do a TESLO course (teaching English to non English speakers) and see if I can get a job teaching English at some business in China, Japan, Vietnam or something. When I'm not interested in something, I basically suck at it or I try to avoid as much as possible, so I think the best thing for me to do is find something I'm actually interested in and do it, instead of worrying about the consequences later on. 

What do you all think?

get your degree... you'd regret not doing it in 5 years time and won't be able to change that.

My sister just slacked off for the longest time... now she's working and the biggest barrier to her progression is her lack of degree. It doesn't matter what you do it in, just finish it.

Heck even if it's to become a chef, what if you want to open a restaurant, do investors prefer a chef sith a marketing and sales degree or just a chef??

You lose what by doing your degree? 2 years in which you're a student meeting chicks, partying and having fun overall... oh that's horrible... (working sucks, being a student is loads better).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Go for it. What's the point in doing something that makes you miserable so you'll possibly have some more money when the entire porpuse of having some money is not being miserable?

Besides, it's not like a chef can't be paid well or anything.

Edit: Have to agree with Hephaestos tho unless it really sucks for you to study it.

well, if you are "extremely bored and depressed" by studying it, I don't see you having a good time doing it for living, personally I would say go with the chef, we don't need more marketers/salesmen anyway

Ssenkahdavic said:

Super Sized number 4 please.

(in hungry)

You want a large 2 cheeseburger meal? 

Kirby approves