By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect setup and system software experiences

Because one or two reviews were negative about setup experiences I thought we should share.

Overall one of the easiest setup of a device I have ever experienced.  I dont know what the issue were that some of the reviewers had, but the only setup experience I had was the cable wasnt long enough. Had to get an extension cable. 

As for space our couch actually sits to far away from the Sensor for us to be detected (No it isnt the supposed sit down problem, you can see as I move towards the couch my body disapears. Couch is about 12 feet away from sensor in the middle).  This lead me to try more of the voice command stuff which works excellent for the most part.  They need to fix the paths in the software where voice isnt recognized. For instance in Zune I tried to play music and had nothing in my queue so a message with an OK was thrown up.  So I had to use my hand to select it which meant getting up from couch and waving.  Stuff like this needs to be corrected in software updates.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

I kind of wondered what IGN was thinking when they mentioned the setup process to be in any way difficult . . . it was very simple. I put it under my TV (didn't need an extension cord) and began with initial setup. It did have to update first, which took a full minute to do, but after that it was pretty easy to get Kinect ID working fine.

I'm not sure how dumb the reviewer seemed to think the average person is, but if they have any trouble setting up Kinect then they probably shouldn't be allowed to handle $150 electronics in the first place . . .

Granted setting it up isn't all that thrilling, but its not much different then installing a game. Well, in a fraction of the time anyway.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

I really don't know what that IGN review was going on about, setup is pretty simple.  You plug it in, it calibrates itself, and then you're done.  It took me longer to place the 360 in my entertainment center.

You can go in further detail in the Kinect Hub I believe but they made it sound like they were forced to do it and were forced to do it several times.

Way easier than wireless router setup or a setting up the network for wifi enabled blu ray player. I did not even bother reading the manual, just followed the on screen calibration instructions.

Kinect has been working pretty flawlessly here.  I only used the calibration card when I first set it up.  One of the reviews I saw (the IGN one?) talked about having to calibrate it all the time but it's worked great with every game I tried since the initial setup.

Voice commands have been amazing, working 99% of the time with a normal speaking voice.  One of my coolest sci-fi moments was when I had taken a break and left the Xbox at the dashboard with Kinect Sports in the drive.  While on my way walking back to the TV area for another round I simply said "xbox play disc" and by the time I got settled the game was loading up.  A small thing but also really freaking cool!

My only issue is my dog constantly getting in the way because he thinks I'm playing with him!

Around the Network

The reviews I read didn't say it was hard, they only complained that it takes to long and that you may have to repeat it several times for example if you change something in your room.

But the biggest problem is obviously the space problem. Sure, people who have 12 feet of space between their TV and the couch and have perfect lighting conditions etc. will have no problems at all, but it seems that the vast majority of people just isn't that lucky. These people will have to rearrange their furniture, change the lighting etc. first.

ArnoldRimmer said:

The reviews I read didn't say it was hard, they only complained that it takes to long and that you may have to repeat it several times for example if you change something in your room.

But the biggest problem is obviously the space problem. Sure, people who have 12 feet of space between their TV and the couch and have perfect lighting conditions etc. will have no problems at all, but it seems that the vast majority of people just isn't that lucky. These people will have to rearrange their furniture, change the lighting etc. first.

It took 2 mins.

You need 6-8 feet, not 12 and if you can place the sensor up higher on the wall behind the TV some people have good luck with less than 6 feet. A number of people on gaf have even said it seems to be working fine in their bedrooms although it varies game to game.

I just played for an hour in the dark, I don't see how lighting is a problem.  The only thing is the videos and photos are kinda dark as the only light is from the TV.

Vast majority is a huge overstatement.

The only reviews I've read that seemed to grumble where those comparing the length time and variety of setup to Wii/Move, which are both undeniably quicker.

Obviously in some cases room layout will cause problems and that's the only other area I've seen grumbling in - when coffee tables that are in the way have to be moved, etc.

Clearly, with Kinect, there's going to be more variety of experience in calibration due to the nature of the device, so I think this is only natural and nothing to jump on.

A lot of rooms will need stuff moved to see your whole body at that distance from a TV, so that will be picked up on.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

To clarify I wasnt saying you need 12 feet of space.  Our couch is set in a V shape with the furthest point away from the sensor is the point in the V. That point sits about 12 feet away from the sensor/tv so if you go to sitdown the sensor looses you when you are about 10-11 feet away from it before you even sit down.  So if we want to use the sensor to watch a movie or music we must use voice commands which work well except for some holes in functionality.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Reasonable said:

The only reviews I've read that seemed to grumble where those comparing the length time and variety of setup to Wii/Move, which are both undeniably quicker.

Obviously in some cases room layout will cause problems and that's the only other area I've seen grumbling in - when coffee tables that are in the way have to be moved, etc.

Clearly, with Kinect, there's going to be more variety of experience in calibration due to the nature of the device, so I think this is only natural and nothing to jump on.

A lot of rooms will need stuff moved to see your whole body at that distance from a TV, so that will be picked up on.

I don't even see how this can be taken against kinnect... did people think they could play kinnect games from their bed? that would be beyond ridiculous, so off course stuff like tables hiding your feet will need to be moved out of the way .

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO