By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS kinect commercials purposely misleading?

This thread has hit an all time low for nonsense and Kinect. The only person being misleading is the OP suggesting the ads were misleading.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
theonewhoisme said:
Ricoswuave38 said:
theonewhoisme said:
smbu2000 said:
theonewhoisme said:
nightsurge said:

You need to pay better attention then.  Unless you had a cut down version of the commercial, all of them I have seen showed Kinect gameplay footage in them at some point.

No where does it say or even try to imply Kinect works with every game.

None of them have shown any footage at all, and nowhere does it imply it doesn't either, which one is someone who isn't familiar with it going to assume?

They're going to go to the store and see all the 360 games that come in purple boxes that say Kinetic on them. Then they'll know that they work with Kinect. MS changed the color of the game boxes to make it easier to identify Kinect games vs. regular 360 games (still in the green cases and do not say Kinect on them).

Thats of course only after they already bought the thing, possibly under a false assumption 

what do you suggest than?

Would I suggest for what, that strategy is perfect, people make a false assumption based on a misleading statement in a commercial and then buy the thing, and everyone defends MS for it because they didn't actually lie, they just left out enough information and said something in the perfect way 

this whole idea of misleading seems like a pretty far stretch.  Even if they did show gameplay in ps3 or wii, and not 360 (of which I personally have never seen a commercial that didn't) how is that any different?  How can showing gameplay from a couple of games show that it is only for certain games?  Should Microsoft have a list at the end of each commercial listing every game it is compatible for?  

Kinect commercials are in no way more misleading than any other video game commercials.  For example, I have never seen a ps3 or wii commercial that have said that their systems aren't compatible with 360 games.  Is that misleading?   That is basically what you are trying to argue here right?

nordlead said:
theonewhoisme said:
nordlead said:
theonewhoisme said:

see what I mean already one person who got the wrong idea, thinking that all games will work with kienct 

no, there is just more assumptions by posters.

You stated that there is a very limited selection of games (as in any game released prior to kinect won't magically work with kinect)

Mr Puggsly stated that any genre could work, but it might be crappy. He never stated that all games do work with kinect, you just assumed it yourself.

don't speak for other people

but wait, you did when you said that he thinks that all games will work with kinect. How come it is ok for you, but not ok for me?

Oh, thats right, you are just trying to find whatever you can so you can troll Microsoft.

Because thats what he said, your saying he meant something different and just worded it badly but you can't know that 

theonewhoisme said:
nightsurge said:
theonewhoisme said:

Well after seeing several of their commercials far more times then I would of wanted I'm pretty sure MS is trying to give the impression that kinect will work for any game to the people that don't know any better, it's not like this is the first time MS has made misleading commercials, so yeah I really hope people don't get conned by them 

Oh really?  How do you reckon?

Sure seems to me like they are only showing Kinect games and features.

/thread

None of the commercials I've seen have shown any features or games for kinect, just people jumping around and then saying you are the controller 

It would help if you watched the entire commercial. 

The end of the commercial, the part I guess you skipped or were too blinded with rage to see, the camera pans around and you see the game they're playing.

Both of these show game footage.  These are the official ads, too.  Like I said, pay more attention.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
theonewhoisme said:
Ricoswuave38 said:
theonewhoisme said:
smbu2000 said:
theonewhoisme said:
nightsurge said:

You need to pay better attention then.  Unless you had a cut down version of the commercial, all of them I have seen showed Kinect gameplay footage in them at some point.

No where does it say or even try to imply Kinect works with every game.

None of them have shown any footage at all, and nowhere does it imply it doesn't either, which one is someone who isn't familiar with it going to assume?

They're going to go to the store and see all the 360 games that come in purple boxes that say Kinetic on them. Then they'll know that they work with Kinect. MS changed the color of the game boxes to make it easier to identify Kinect games vs. regular 360 games (still in the green cases and do not say Kinect on them).

Thats of course only after they already bought the thing, possibly under a false assumption 

what do you suggest than?

Would I suggest for what, that strategy is perfect, people make a false assumption based on a misleading statement in a commercial and then buy the thing, and everyone defends MS for it because they didn't actually lie, they just left out enough information and said something in the perfect way 

this whole idea of misleading seems like a pretty far stretch.  Even if they did show gameplay in ps3 or wii, and not 360 (of which I personally have never seen a commercial that didn't) how is that any different?  How can showing gameplay from a couple of games show that it is only for certain games?  Should Microsoft have a list at the end of each commercial listing every game it is compatible for?  

Kinect commercials are in no way more misleading than any other video game commercials.  For example, I have never seen a ps3 or wii commercial that have said that their systems aren't compatible with 360 games.  Is that misleading?   That is basically what you are trying to argue here right?

The most misleading part of the commercial I think is where they say you are the controller, and with no gameplay footage at all, I can see how people who don't know anything about it might think it's just a controller replacement and will work with anything, and it's more like only showing the 360 logo at the end of a commercial when the game is multiplat, sure it's on 360, but it's not only on 360, leaving out just the right information 

nightsurge said:

Both of these show game footage.  These are the official ads, too.  Like I said, pay more attention.

I don't care what you find online, I'm not talking about what you find online, I'm talking about what you see on tv, 

Tagged for lulz. I do so enjoy your dubious conundrums 'theonewhoisme'

I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but it's clear even to me that the OP is just trying to do as much as he can to troll Microsoft. The adverts aren't fantastic in my opinion, but they're definitely not misleading. Do you think that casual gamers are idiots? I'd argue that they're more intellegent with their money, because they would not buy sequels to games that haven't had many changes (that last point wasn't related to Kinect, but supported my point).

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

It's more like NOT saying something negative rather than misleading...everyone does it and can't blame them for it

eg: you won't see an iphone example with it's probable short comings-kinda deal

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!