By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The grand failure of motion gaming.

Lets face it. All the good wii games are the ones that has little to none motion controls. Kinect and playstation move both generated a lot of shovelware on their respective consoles.

Personnaly, I'll stick to my good old-school game controler which still provides me good gaming experience and still doesn't seem to get old.

Please discuss.

Proud owner of a Wii, a Xbox360 and a PS3 (...two PS3's...)

My main brawl characters

Now playing:

wii:Super smash bros. brawl, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
ps3: Guitar hero 3,4,5. Rock Band 1,2. Resistance 2
Xbox360:Nhl2k9, Mass Effect, MW2, Halo 3.

Around the Network

well bad controls is hitting kinect

and bad software is hitting PS move 

but PS move has the mix between normal and move controls which is fine i say which is the way to go, gives players choice. Like one day i might feel like ehh i feel like playing with the move. And now i play MAG which i haven't played in a while. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Are you coming back from the future or something?  Kinect is just launching so how do you know what the future holds for it?  Also Kinect isn't a Wii Remote knock off and has some serious backing from Microsoft so we may some some pretty incredible stuff from it in the future.

Legend11 said:

Are you coming back from the future or something?  Kinect is just launching so how do you know what the future holds for it?  Also Kinect isn't a Wii Remote knock off and has some serious backing from Microsoft so we may some some pretty incredible stuff from it in the future.

what is the future line up for the kinect, i only remember hearing about child of eden and that tank game. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

The "failure" of motion controls is determined by publishers, not by the system itself. Sure there is still a lot to work to do, but I can see the potential in games like Metroid Prime 3 or  Red Steel 2, also Resident Evil 4: Wii edition plays much better than the original, the pointer is a great thing for sure. Before making I final judgment I'll wait for Skyward Sword, it's sad to say but after many years that's the 1st mainstream game, made by top-level developer fo fully utilize motion controls. Also it's a bit early to judge Move and Kinect, so far we have only seen launch games, how often you see high-quality software on launch aside from ports?

Personally I don't see the potential of kinect (but who knows?), about Move, so far it's been bad, but I think we will change our ideas when we'll see games like Killzone3 of DeadSpace 2 adopting it.

Around the Network

In my opinion the "problem" with motion controlls can be demonstrated with a simple question:

What portion of average or better development teams from third party publishers have been devoted to motion control based games?

If you had publishers who (for the most part) devoted the bottom 1/3 of their developers exclusively to anything the results would be unimpressive.

I agree with OP. After the novelty wears off motion controls will not replace the normal controller. I think talking to Kinect will be neat at first but in the end it easier just pushing a button. Of course when it comes to sales motion controls are (Kinect will be) a huge success just like those "clap on, clap off" light switches (and the classic smokeless ashtrays). Yet that "Clap on, Clap off" switch hasn't replace the simple flipping a switch to turn on lights.

At best Move may be successful as a console mouse for  FPS and RTS games. Of course mouse is not really new to PC gamers. 

In all honesty I think developers themselves have let motion controls down.

There are a few good ones on Wii which work great, e.g.

RE4

Godfather (shame this didnt sell better even though it was a remake)

Metroid

COD (to some extent was getting close)

HappySqurriel said:

In my opinion the "problem" with motion controlls can be demonstrated with a simple question:

What portion of average or better development teams from third party publishers have been devoted to motion control based games?

If you had publishers who (for the most part) devoted the bottom 1/3 of their developers exclusively to anything the results would be unimpressive.

Agreed 100%

Devs just DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE. Ironic because it is Western devs who critisize Japan for not changing.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I do not see the failure on my Wii, Kinect (and soon will get Move) when me and my family and friends have tons of fun with it. Maybe its just those brown nosed gamers who dislikes it? er hardcore gamers...