By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Absolute HD-DVD/Blu-Ray sales figures

wow, numbers 8, 9 and 10 couldn't even reach 1,000 sold.  I agree blu-ray is winning, but this is far from mainstream. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

I don't think there will be significant growth until the players are sub $250.

Have anybody noticed that the source for the chart is from Sony?

Alacrist said:
Have anybody noticed that the source for the chart is from Sony?

its from Nielsen, Sony uses their numbers to promote Br superior sales.

HappySqurriel said:
Spazgadget said:
HappySqurriel said:

Ah, but there's a big difference between UMD and Hi definition formats. UMD was just a crappy format. It had fewer features, could only be viewed on a 3" screen, and ran your PSP's batteries down at lightning speed. Blu-Ray has challenges, but I don't think you can compare UMD to Blu-Ray in terms of chances of success.

I brought up UMD because people tend to be overly optimistic by early performance of these types of formats.

The reason I was saying I anticipate that HD-Movie growth will stall is that less than half of houses have HDTVs currently and few people expect it to break that boundry until 2010/2011; at the same time there will be a large portion of the HDTV buying public who bought their TV because it was a flat-panel display. I expect that at some point (I'd say roughly 25% of the DVD marketshare) these formats will need people of modest income to replace their TV and buy a HD-Movie player in order to continue their growth; something that may happen but at a very slow pace.

you brought up UMD cause you want Sony to fail at everything, i can see that in all your posts.

actully between 50/80% of USa homes will have HDTVs by 2010/2011.  Their reason for it dont matter, they have a hdtv thats what matters... and without a hd source that hdtv aint much.

Most projections show all 3 consoles selling over 30 million in usa, thats 30 milliion Br players in the next 5 years.

Sony has said a $300 player wil be available by late 07 early 08

i love how people always use the price as a excuss to why something Sony wont do well.

Since when are gamers/tech fans so poor. 

Around the Network

I'm not poor. The reason I'm not poor is because I've been thrifty with my money and invested it well. If I spent my money on every new piece of technology that came along, I would be poor.

FishyJoe said:
I'm not poor. The reason I'm not poor is because I've been thrifty with my money and invested it well. If I spent my money on every new piece of technology that came along, I would be poor.

If your a billionaire and you have nothing. Your poor in my opinion.

These sales numbers are nice. But you cant compare them to DVD. Compare them to DVD 12 months after DVD launch. Boy, when DVD first came out, it's sales SUCKED compared to VHS.

Are these sales that horrible? Do the math on that.

25$*25,000 = 625,000

I'm not saying that is not how much the studio gets, but comeon' You cant expect the same kinda sales off a 12 month old system, as a 8-9 year old system.

PS2 vs Wii is a prime example.

1Grand Theft Auto: Vice CityTake 28,116,750
131The Legend of Zelda: Twilight PrincessNintendo1,419,750

Going by, low sales today... That means Even the Wii will fail by that logic. Give the formats another year or two.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Hus said:
HappySqurriel said:
Spazgadget said:
HappySqurriel said:

you brought up UMD cause you want Sony to fail at everything, i can see that in all your posts.

actully between 50/80% of USa homes will have HDTVs by 2010/2011.  Their reason for it dont matter, they have a hdtv thats what matters... and without a hd source that hdtv aint much.

Most projections show all 3 consoles selling over 30 million in usa, thats 30 milliion Br players in the next 5 years.

Sony has said a $300 player wil be available by late 07 early 08

i love how people always use the price as a excuss to why something Sony wont do well.

Since when are gamers/tech fans so poor. 

I always wonder whether you read and understand posts before you reply to them ...

Anyways, I think far too many people over estimate how much money the bottom half of households in North America make, and I think analysts have over projected based on recent unusual spending habits of Americans. Most American households make less than $60,000 per year and have been paying for a lifestyle that is above their current means through loans at unusually low interest rates that were aquired based on unusually high housing values. Over the next 5 years interest rates will probably rebound to more average-high levels and housing values will return to more normal levels and people will not be able to buy all the crap they have since 2000 anymore.

Kwaad said:
FishyJoe said:

If your a billionaire and you have nothing. Your poor in my opinion.

These sales numbers are nice. But you cant compare them to DVD. Compare them to DVD 12 months after DVD launch. Boy, when DVD first came out, it's sales SUCKED compared to VHS.

Are these sales that horrible? Do the math on that.

25$*25,000 = 625,000

I'm not saying that is not how much the studio gets, but comeon' You cant expect the same kinda sales off a 12 month old system, as a 8-9 year old system.

PS2 vs Wii is a prime example.

1Grand Theft Auto: Vice CityTake 28,116,750
131The Legend of Zelda: Twilight PrincessNintendo1,419,750

Going by, low sales today... That means Even the Wii will fail by that logic. Give the formats another year or two.

I look at things from an investors point of view, TODAY.

Sony is doing ok as a company but not great. Nintendo has been like gold, it's valuation has gone up over 100% in the last year.

Should Sony pick up some momentum and get profitable, I will be the first to jump on their bandwagon. But right now I think they are doing a bad job in their gaming division and have some serious hurdles ahead.

I am a fanboy of money. I could really care less which company it comes from. 

First off, 40 flipping dollars for a movie!!!  No wonder HD movies haven't exactly caught on yet.  Anyways, I wonder how many of the blu-ray movies "sold" were actually part of a combo deal to induce people to buy a PS3 (which would explain the exceptional movement of a few AAA titles but nothing else).   I also wonder how many blu-ray movies are simply PS3 owners with nothing else to do with their $600 purchase so they grab 1 movie.  To be fair that's the same reason I've dropped $40 on the virtual console butat least I've gotten way more than 2 hours of entertainment out of that.  It should also be noted that while the overall attach rate is just over 1, the blu-ray attachment rate is below 1 and the HD-DVD attachment rate is around 3-4.  That's because the vast majority of the million or so "blu-ray players" in the US are PS3's while the vast majority of the 200,000 HD-DVD players are stand alone.  Like the console race we'll have to wait until after price drops hit and more movies become available to see which can win.