By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Indie Developers angry over Xbox 360 Dashboard Update

http://kotaku.com/5679096/indie-devs-not-happy-with-new-xbox-360-dashboard

The new Xbox 360 dashboard is clean. It's very white. It's also got a lot of indie developers for the platform upset with Microsoft, accusing the platform holder of putting their baby in the corner.

Xbox Live Indie Games used to be somewhat easily found in the "Games Marketplace" section of the dashboard. Now? They've been removed from the Games Marketplace, and shunted into an area called "specialty shops", which includes...the Avatar Marketplace and the Game Room.

That's certainly not an area you'd visit looking for games, and the developers who have provided games for the service are justifiably miffed.

Here's a selection of quotes from the indie developers forum:

"Sad to see, but not unexpected given the direction of the platform for the past several months"

"So pretty much all the worst suppositions since AppHub came in to being have turned out to be right. The XBLA studios wouldn't put up with XBLIG on the same screenspace, MS want us all to swallow their **** and move over to get ****ed as WP7 developers - who will updoubtably be treated in the same shoddy, half-baked way as we have when the project fails - which MS mobile offerings always, ALWAYS do."

"I'm actually surprised we didn't end up worse than we did. At least we are 2nd on specialties and next to the Avatar store and not the the 12th tab on the specialty shop behind the various music shops (although that may change in a month when the music shops complain)."

"Looks like all the Devs who made XBLIG apps had it right all the time, and we "Game" developers were the ones who had it wrong. As the new dashboard clearly shows, Microsoft does no longer consider XBLIGs to be "Games" (at least not "Games" enough to merit a place in the "Games & Demos" section).

So please stand with me in a minute of silence to mourn the passing away of Xbox LIVE Indie Games."

I'd take some video or screens of my own, but you know, Xbox Live Indie Games isn't available in Australia, which gives you yet another indication of how seriously Microsoft takes this venture.

That really sucks, it's hard enough for those guys.  Maybe MS will change it if they complain enough? lol  They seem to have a very low regard for MS as it was  :X

Around the Network

wow that suck Microsoft let them prosper lol.

ummm....what? 

they are clearly visible in my marketplace and always had their own category(as in NEVER listed with the other games).

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

i still find them the only thing i cant find anymore is the freaking Idependent videos such as MLG... anyone knows how to find those ?

Well its not exactly hidden away.

Ultimately, 99% of the indie games are terrible. The other 1% are just bad. They should be happy MS has given them a place to make a few bucks.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Maybe I should care but I am struggling at this moment in time to raise sufficient care hormones.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Wow get over it bitches (the indie guys). If people want an indie game they'll find it.