By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

I've finished my list but have barely touched adding my reasonings. I may eventually get to them. Anyhow, here is the list

Around the Network

Can I just say this was the best thread ever. I'm glad I completed it on time after being 20 behind. Here are my final 2:

2. The World Ends With You (DS) - I was not expecting that. I had no idea a handheld game could achieve such greatness. I actually got this game by accident, and it taught me the definition of a 'happy accident'. The music is the first thing that springs to mind - it perfectly sets the contemporary atmosphere (with dashes of anger, paranoia and anxiousness) they were trying to put across for Underground Shibuya. The anime style was very cool, again they got that spot on. The gameplay is innovative, difficult to get used to, but very rewarding. What I really love about this game is that it spoke to me. There is a message or two in this game, and, as one of the reviewers said, everyone should listen. I pray, pray, pray that Square allow a sequel to this game. 10.0/10

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2) - Yet another game in my long list of 'I'm not sure why I bought this game but I did' games. I played this game throughout one beautiful summer and it was the best summer ever (this game just enhanced it). Why do I love it? I felt like I was part of the team who unravelled the mystery, JRPG style. I just adore everything about the game: How everything looks, the gameplay mechanics, how deep the characters are, I even adore the parts that bored me nearly to death. The story was the best I have ever witnessed in a game, and it was such a shame when it came to an end that for the first time in my life, if I want to take it that far, I literally felt suicidal. I have yet to play through the game again, but I know the time is near providing Persona 5 is not just around the corner. A perfect experience. 10.0/10

2. Final Fantasy IX (PS)

This is my favorite Final Fantasy game, largely because it goes back flawlessly to the roots of the series.  Indeed, part of the allure of this game was the story (my favorite), set not ina futuristic setting but instead the standard fantasy medieval setting.  There is plenty of lore, backstory, and allusions to previous games that will make you smile if you've played previous games.  The combat is good with a four player lineup and simplistic trance system.  More interestingly is how equipment and skills work together in character development.  Using your weapons to master new skills you can use and then deciding upon a limited amount of points worth of skills to keep active makes you put some thought into how you build your characters within their designated classes and allows you to adapt your builds to the type of combat you are enduring.  In addition, there are plenty of minigame opportunities between the tetramaster card game, moogle mail, and chocobo content.  Chocobo hot and cold remains my favorite Final Fantasy minigame to date.  The music in this game is also exquisite with songs like Vamo' Alla Flamenco and Melodies of Life.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

The addition of parallel worlds added depth to the zelda universe's gameplay.  This game wrote the formula for those later to come with all of its additions.  Spin attacks, heart containers, many items, and multiple floor dungeons with more than just staircases to travel between floors all were wonderful features of the huge zelda world.  There were so many hidden wonders to discover in this world that exploring was often as fun as the massive dungeons.  What really made this game is the unbelievable number of items and upgrades to those items you get throughout the game, some very useful ones which aren't even required to complete the game. Many of these items such as ice and fire rods are sorely missed in other games, which usually have a small subset of the arsenal.  There was also a fairly significant amount of story for this game to keep you involved if somehow the gameplay was wearing thin. 

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

3. Ogre Battle 64

2. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Around the Network

1. Super Mario Bros. 3

I think I put in more time in SMB3 than any other game I've ever played.  It was one of the few games I owned for the NES and also the only one I was good at.  Every level, power up, Koopa kid, whatever, was just a blast of fun to play with or against.  Every game I've played since playing this for the first time has always been compared to the funfactor of this game.  Sadly, nothing has come close to dethroning this game as my all time favorite.

Stats to come soon.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

8.MEATAL GEAR SOLID(PS1)

Metal Gear Solid is an awesome Stealth Action from Kojima Hedeo and Published by KONAMI in 1998.

The story is set in 2005, six years after the events of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake A genetically enhanced next-generation special forces unit commanded by FOXHOUND leads an armed uprising on a remote island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago. This island, codenamed Shadow Moses, is the site of a nuclear weapons disposal facility The forces that seized this island have acquired the nuclear-capable mecha Metal Gear REX, and are threatening the U.S government with a nuclear reprisal if they do not receive the remains of the legendary mercenary Big Boss within 24 hours.

Solid Snake is forced out of retirement and is dispatched at the request of Colonel Roy Campbell to penetrate the terrorists defenses and neutralize the threat Snake is also ordered to locate hostages DARPA Chief Donald Anderson, and ArmsTech president Kenneth Baker. Colonel Campbell's daughter, at the time believed to be niece, Meryl Silverburgh, is also held captive in the facility after refusing to take part in the uprising.

The music is EPICand the song The Best is Yet To Come in the ending credits is an amazing song. 

Metal Gear Solid is an awesome Game from the Characters to the music to the set pieces it is just Epic.

Metal Gear Solid intro 

Metal Gear Solid - Sniper Wolf - Japanese Version 

Metal Gear Solid - Sniper Wolf's Death - Japanese Version 

Metal Gear Solid - Bathroom - Japanese Version  

Metal Gear Solid - Snake calls Meryl - Japanese Version 

Metal Gear Solid OST the best is yet to come by Rika Muranaka

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

2. Patapon

If you want to know why, just say my name... I said, SAY. MY. NAME!!! If this wasn't predictable to you, than I'm sorry but you can't be helped! So what's so amazing about patapon anyways? Well, it had such a profound effect on some crazy guy's life that he now names internet accounts 'patapon'. I've spent so much time with Patapon that it puts my Oblivion playtime to shame! Also, it's the soul reason why I bought a psp... and kept it.

Few games these days innovate. And when I say innovate, I don't mean evolution alright... I mean bring something ENTIRLY new to the table. Patapon is one such game. I can't think of anything remotely relatable to it... it's just so damn unique. And it's odd, but the Rythem genre tend to see games like these from time to time... incredibly unique games that are amazing YET (and unfortunatly) they go largely unnoticed. Rez is an example, so is parrapa the rappa. These games were simply put, different. And the people who could get into the groove of things (bad pun) enjoyed them immensely.

But if you want more concrete reasons for my love other than 'it is teh diffrent!', Patapon is about amazing boss fights, enormous 'lootathons',  deep yet simple rhythm gameplay, an incredible art direction, and everything awesome that has ever been. Pretty good explanation me thinks

So let me wrap this up... Patapon should AT LEAST be on every gamer's bucket list in my factual opinion. If you're reading this, you've probably never even heard of this game! So take it from me... you should DEFINITELY play it before you die. And if you refuse to play it, die.

Ok, I have 32 games left; a couple of hours before it's 2011 all over the Earth. Let's DO THIS!!!

#32 Parasite Eve (PS2)

This is one of those games I drooled over back when I had an N64 and nothing but an N64. It looked amazing, and Melissa had one hell of a cleavage. Which young teenager would not want a game with a beautiful boobilicious girl in a red dress!? To bad you had to fight her.

The game was quite short for an RPG but those 15 hours or so was pure quality time! It felt like Resident Evil with RPG elements.

Here's one hoping for 3rd Birthday being a great game!

#31 Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC)

Thank you Super PLAY for making me buy this game! I'd never heard of it before, and frankly thought the graphics were quite bad, on a technical level. But, since the N64 era graphics has never been an important aspect in a game for me so I said "screw you blocky graphix!" and bought the damn game. I even paid full price! Oh yes, baby, and I would had paid much more for the game had I known how damn good it was.

I've always been a sucker for physics defying worlds and this world is no exception! Some of the best exploration in any game ever! YEAH! The characters are great! The story is great; I love the funny scene where Vyse totally pisses Aika off with his subtle glaring at Belleza (I don't blame him); the end of Rhaknam broke my heart.

What's even more fantastic is...SHIP BATTLES! Woo hooo! While the normal battles are ok, the ship battles are wonderful! The satisfaction of blowing the crap out of the enemy with a well-planned barrage is hard to beat!

1. Patapon 2

If you've been reading my hints, chances are I tricked you! MUHAHAHAHAH!!! >:D Patapon 2 slightly edges out Patapon, and considering Patapon is my #2... you do the math

The end.