By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

12. Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride

I'm offically a Dragon Quest fan now.  This game keeps everything so simple it's awesome.  Bring on number VI you bastards.

11. The World Ends With You

This is it, my favorite (A)RPG of the current generation.  A great cast of characters, terrific battle system, and a cool story that keeps you interested, TWEWY is one DS game all RPG lovers should play. 

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Around the Network

11. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

When you get shivers from the title screen music, you know you're in for quite an adventure. And with The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, it was an adventure unlike any other. The game is quite different from previous Zeldas that I've encountered. The most obvious change is the art style: Link and the world around him are Cell Shaded. And it is goregous in motion. From Link's animated face and eyes (see: Khuutra's avatar) to bosses that are vibrant and wonderfully detailed (Gohma still blows me away)... the art style works beautifully for the franchise. Change number two is... well... Hyrule seems to be missing under this giant ocean. Some call sailing boring, but I for one loved it. With the wind guiding you along and the music strumming with the waves... I couldn't have a better way of traveling (I love the ocean as well... so it was just a natural fit for me). And yet despite the changes, the Zelda formula we all love is still there, and as stong as ever. Dungeons filled with mind bending puzzles and dastardly foes await.

This was also the game that made Ganondorf my most beloved villain of all time, of any medium. His interaction with Link and Zelda and the broken land of Hyrule is just perfect. The last few hours of this game is some of the best in the industry. It all just flows so wonderfully, and the ending just hits you (and Ganondorf) so hard... it's just a rewarding experience. Yeah, this game is one of the greatest adventures I've had, and the game will always be cherished for it.

12. Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

This is perhaps the most complete game in the series with plenty of characters and a complete story driven platformer with more master hand type fights.  The additions of Solid Snake and Sonic from other companies felt like a big change from the normal cast (though Snake seems terribly out of place).  This game's major bonus was the variety of moves available across characters.  There were still clones, but they seemed to differ by a little more than previous entries.  The control scheme with just the wiimote was rough but adding in the nunchuck made it easier to control.  The power of moves decreased if you used them too much so you had to be knowledgeable in your moveset.  The smash balls added some fun extra moves but tended to reduce the focus on how consistent you needed to be win a game.  The high level AI characters could have been a little better but the difficult of extra modes like boss battle made up for it.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

11. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Time travel is a tough thing to get right, and Chrono Trigger includes time travel better than any game I've ever played.  The time travel is mostly story based but allows you to find extra items and explored the same world map in many ways.  Your party of characters feels more alive because of the myriad of backgrounds created throughout different eras.  Removing random encounters and allowing you to see your enemies on the world map also made the game more immersive.  The game is designed such that each era actually feels like its own game, even yough you know you are working toward a bigger goal.  The equipment in this game is better for the lead up and loreplaced behind it. Techs added a light spacial element to battle, and more importantly multiple characters can combine to use more powerful attacks.  The story and exploration in this game are fantastic and kept me eagerly awaiting what would happen within the next hour.  This game lacked the long grinds attributable to most RPGs and made the battles far more interesting.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

10. Donkey Kong Country

Into the top ten we go and my favourite Rare game starts it off. The concept is fairly simple, King K Rool has stolen Donkey Kong's banana hoard, and DK and Diddy Kong want them back, with the help of some friends along the way. What follows is some of the most frustratingly brilliant 2D platforming goodness ever created. Whether it's timing barrel launches to perfection, or mine cart levels, this game can make you sweat, but it never makes you hate it for it. You always want just one more go to try and complete the level that you've died 20 times on already, and when you do complete it, you breathe a sigh of relief, and then you realise that you might have to do it all over again in the next level...

VGChartz

Around the Network

10. Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC)

My favourite Pokemon game(s). To be honest, I think I put more hours of playtime into Red/Blue/Yellow, but Gold/Silver were definitely the best one. It was addictive, engaging and had more content than older versions. And the possibility to travel through Kanto after beating the Elite Four was great and brought back memories.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

I had totally forgotten about this!!! Was way too busy for the past few days so didn't get a chance to post...

Below is my Top 20 - 11. I don't have the time to explain why they're there but they're there because they're totally fuckin awesome games that I love whole heartedly. :D

20) Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (GBC)

19) Warcraft III - Frozen Throne (PC)

18) Pokemon Snap (N64)

17) Assassin's Creed II (PS3)

16) God of War III (PS3)

15) Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

14) Crash Team Racing (PS1)

13) Gran Turismo 3: A Spec (PS2)

12) Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

11) Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA)

12. Ico - PS2

If you know me at all, you're probably aware that I'm a complete *derogatory term for someone who sells their body* for Team Ico. Sure, they've only made two games so far, but those two games are, in my opinion, better than anything released exclusively on the PS2. And considering that the PS2 has one of the most (rightfully) lauded game libraries of all time, that's saying quite a lot.

I don't have much else to say about Ico, really. Not because I think it's anything short of prodigious, (Which I don't) but because I can't quite place a finger on what makes it so great.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a game with more heart than Ico.

Zelda ALttP - The best 2D Zelda IMO and it has one of the best soundtracks in gaming.  This game took the design layed down by the original Zelda and brought it into the 16bit era with graphical layering, mode 7, multi-floor dungeons and twin overworlds.  I've played this several times on the SNES and about 5 times on the GBA.

Super Mario Galaxy - In 2007, this game blew me away.  It brought 3D Mario back after the strange, but underrated, tangent that was Sunshine.  It also showed me what could graphically be done with the Wii.  While I think that it has been eclipsed by another game released this year, this still breaks my top ten.

Final Fantasy IV DS - The best version of one of my 2nd favourite Final Fantasy game.  This added 3D graphics, FMVs with voice acting and minigames to the original.  The difficulty was increased, which IMO is a good thing.  I just hope that they do the same with FFV and more importantly VI.

10. Fallout 3 (X360)

Fallout 3 has often been referred to, both derisively and not, as "Oblivion with guns". That's pretty accurate. After all, it is an RPG set in a huge, open world that's populated by a great many characters, all of whom are quite ugly and have been voiced by one of five (six, at most) people. And it controls similarly, runs on the same engine, and could basically pass as a mod of Oblivion, albeit an extremely ambitious one. But while I enjoyed Oblivion and played it pretty exhaustively, nothing in it really prepared me for how utterly absorbed I would be by Fallout 3.

I'm sure part of that is down to its post-apocalyptic setting, which I find much more appealing than the Elder Scrolls' fairly generic Tolkien-inspired world. In the future, Washington, D.C. has been nuked by the Chinese and is now the battleground for a war between numerous factions including the green-skinned super mutants, a knightly order who fashions its battle armor from old car parts, and roving gangs of cannibalistic thugs who want to rape you and wear your skin. So it's an improvement over contemporary D.C., to be sure, but remains a pretty bad scene. And it's an excellent setting for a video game! Bethesda really did a tremendous job of recreating and reimagining D.C. It is truly surreal the first time you stumble into the National Mall and discover that it's the site of ongoing trench warfare between the super mutants and the Brotherhood. Less iconic locations can be pretty affecting, too. Sifting through abandoned homes and burned out churches for loot can be as unsettling as it is fun and rewarding.

Fallout 3 also has a much stronger narrative drive than Oblivion, or most other open world games for that matter. Seeing your own character's birth is a strangely powerful way to start things off and having Liam Neeson for a dad is a pretty sweet deal for any kid, so you feel suitably unmoored when he splits on you and your nice little vault-contained world is inevitably ripped apart. You'll really want to track down dear old Dad and find out just what the hell is going on, and the more you find out, the more you begin to feel that there is really a lot at stake here. There are tons of sidequests and other diversions - the vast world itself, so strange and yet very familiar, is basically one giant distraction - so the fact that I tend to find myself gravitating back toward the main story says a lot.

That's not to say I don't get distracted, though. Far from it. It's impossible not to when getting into shootouts with random raiders is a complete gas thanks to V.A.T.S., which serves the combined purposes of emulating the previous Fallouts' turn-based combat and ability to target specific body parts, distracting from the game's otherwise dodgy shooting mechanics, and delivering spectacularly cinematic deaths. Watching heads explode in V.A.T.S. never gets old. But writing about Fallout 3 does, so I'm done here!