By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

time to catch up!:

Final Fantasy IX - Sakaguchi claims this is his favourite FF game and this is one of my favourites too.  IMO this is easily the best FF game on Sony platforms.  This game returned to the more medieval fantasy style of the older games (which I prefer), but unfortunately never sold as well as I think it should it have, especially here in Europe.

Skies of Arcadia - IMO easily the best game on the Dreamcast and one of the best RPGs ever made.  It has  a long involving story, an epic soundtrack, a surprisingly deep combat system, amazing design and all round fantastic from start to finish.

Ogre Battle 64 - This game was never released in Europe and so I only experienced it when it hit the Virtual Console earlier this year.  It's the best 1200 Wii points I've ever spent.  It also truly shows how a gripping involving RPG doesn't need extensive FMVs and therefore fit comfortably into an N64 cartridge.  The greatest S-RPG I have ever played.

Around the Network

15. Super Mario World - SNES

14. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP)

As a huge fan of the God of War franchise I simply had to buy Ghost of Sparta day one. Although it isn't made by Sony Santa Monica GoS didn't disappoint me. It had what a great GoW should have: great boss battles, excellent presentation and gameplay, and even great graphics (for a PSP game).

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

14. Red Dead Redemption (PS3)

Red Dead Redemption seemingly came from nowhere to make it onto my most wanted list earlier this year, just from watching the various trailers that Rockstar released. They got me hyped up, and then they delayed it a few weeks. How dare they! But anyway, once the game was finally released, I spent a good few weeks exclusively playing it and nothing else, and I loved every minute of it, although it did dip slightly towards the end. I completed the game, and then set about completing the various challenges. My favourite moment came when attempting to kill a bear with my hunting knife. I chased that thing around the woods on foot for nearly fifteen minutes before finally taking it down...

VGChartz

16. Goldeneye 007

There aren't tood many games that come close to the fun that is Goldeneye 007.  The single player was rather enjoyable, but it was the multiplayer action that takes the cake.  Nothing like sitting in a room with three of your friends (remember those days?) and doing everything you can to send them to MI6 hell.  One of the greatest FPS games ever, and maybe the greatest game ever made base off a movie.

15. Super Mario Galaxy

3D platforming at it's finest.  This game showed me how rusty my platforming skills have become.  In other words, I died. A Lot.   A great game that I need to actually finish.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Around the Network

17.Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King(PS2)

Dragon Quest VIII is an awesome Role Playing Game Developed By LEVEL 5 and Published by SQUARE-ENIX and was  released in November 2004 in Japan and November 2005 in the US and April 2006 in Europe.  

The game begins with the court jester of the kingdom of Trodain, Dhoulmagus, casting a spell on Trodain castle. The spell turns the king, King Trode, into a troll; the princess, Medea, into a horse; and the rest of the castle’s inhabitants into plants. The only one left unaffected is the unnamed protagonist, a Trodain guard. The guard, King Trode, and Princess Medea set out on a quest to track down Dhoulmagus and break the spell. They are joined by the bandit Yangus, Jessica, a mage and Angelo, a Templar Knight.

The Battle system is Old School Fun deign is very addictive. The Visuals are for the first time in full 3D with a very beautiful Cell Shaded look and as always  Toriyama Akira did the art. 

The Musicale Score by  Sugiyama Koichi is awesome. Dragon Quest VIII is Awesome and one Japanese RPG you can not miss out on. 

Dragon Quest VIII intro

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

15.FINAL FANTASY VII(PS1)

Final Fantasy VII is an awesome Role Playing Game from SQUARESOFT(SQUAR-ENIX) Released in January 997 in Japan ans September 1997 in the US.Final Fantasy VII International was Released in October 1997 in Japan.

Like Final Fantasy VI before that was based on a STEMPUNK world FINAL FANTASY VII CYBERBERPUNK World

Final Fantasy VII begins with Cloud joining AVALANCHE in a series of raids against the Mako reactors surrounding the city of Midgar. Although the first mission is successful, AVALANCHE is trapped at another reactor during a subsequent raid. The reactor explodes, launching Cloud from the upper levels of Midgar into the slums below. He lands on a flower bed, where he is formally introduced to Aeris. Prompted by the arrival of Shinra's Turks operatives sent to capture Aeris, Cloud agrees to be Aeris' bodyguard and defends her from the Turks After the Shinra discover the location of AVALANCHE's hideout, they destroy it by demolishing the entirety of Sector 7, killing its population and three members of AVALANCHE. The Turks also capture Aeris, who is revealed to be the last surviving Cetra a race closely attuned with the planet and previously thought extinct. President Shinra believes Aeris can lead him to the "Promised Land", a mythical land of fertility, where he expects to find Mako energy.

Final Fantasy VII's skill system is built around the use of materia (which any character can use)—magical orbs that are placed in special slots on weapons and armor, allowing players to customize their party's ability to use magic, summons, and special abilities. However, most magic-based materia also lowers an equipped character's physical attributes. In addition, certain types of materia can be combined in a fixed number of ways to enhance their effects or produce other abilities.[10] Summon spells feature in the game, equippable as materia, with elaborately animated attacks.

A modified form of Final Fantasy VI's "Desperation Attacks" appears in Final Fantasy VII as the "Limit Break". Every playable character has a bar that gradually fills up as they suffer damage in battle. When the bar is completely filled, the character is able to unleash his or her Limit Break.

The Visuals are very good for Squaresoft First 3D Final Fantasy Game the Overworld chracter modles hae aged not that well though but the CG and Battle Screen Visuals were amazing for the time and still look nice today.

The Chracters are ery cool My faorie being Tifa Lockheart, Aeris Gainsborough, Yuffie Kisaragi

The musical Score By Uematsu Nobuo is awesome Aeris's Theme and One Winged Angel being two of my favorites. 

Final Fantasy VII Intro

Final Fantasy VII  Aeris's Theme

14.XENOGEARS(PS1)

Xenogears is an awesome Role Playing Game Squaresoft(Square-Enix) released in February 1998 in Japan and October 1999 in the US.

Xenogears initially takes place on Ignas, the largest continent of the Xenogears world, and the site of a centuries-long war between the nations of Aveh and Kislev. and their endless power struggle. With the nations constantly dueling for power and resources, warfare has escalated to new levels thanks to Mecha called Gears. Although Kislev originally had the upper hand in the war, a mysterious army known as Gebler appeared and began to provide assistance to Aveh. With Gebler's help, the Aveh military not only recovered its losses, but began making its way into Kislev's territory. As the story unfolds, the setting broadens to encompass the entire world and the two floating countries, Shevat and Solaris. Solaris, ruled by Emperor Cain and the Gazel Ministry, commands the Gebler army and the Ethos and secretly uses both to dominate the land-dwellers. Shevat has been the only country to evade the control of Solaris.

Xenogears centers around the protagonist Fei Fong Wong, an adopted young male in the village, Lahan, brought by a mysterious "masked man" three years ago. The events surrounding Fei's arrival at the village cause him to have  amnesia. During a battle between Gebler and Kislev forces taking place in Lahan, Fei pilots an empty gear named Weltall in an attempt to defend the village against both groups of gears. Witnessing the death of his friend during this battle causes a dormant personality within him to awaken, who then proceeds to destroy the entire village. Fei later awakens with no recollection of what happened. he then departs on a journey to discover his own past and unravel the mystery of the planet's past and humanity's role in relation to it.

Battle in Xenogears is a variant of the Active Time Battle system found in games such as Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy series characters use a combination of martial arts moves, Ether attacks, and special Deathblow combinations which are learned through the repetition of specific proportions of strong, moderate, and weak hits. All offensive actions use Action Points (AP), costing either 3 points(heavy attack), 2 points( medium attack), or 1 point(lite attack) Each character can initially use only 3 AP per turn, but at higher levels, they can eventually use up to 7 AP per turn. At a certain point in the game, characters can begin using Elemental Deathblows In addition to being used for attacks, AP may be saved and allocated to Attack Points for combo attacks during later turns. A total of 28 AP may be accumulated for combo attacks.

In GEAR combat, the limiting factor of AP is replaced by fuel, with each attack consuming an amount corresponding to its power.

The Cast of characters are awesome my favorite is Elly Van Houten.

The visuals are combination 2D and 3D with all the characters in highly detailed sprites and sets them against a 3D polygonal world like GRANDIA.

The musical score is composed by Mitsuda Yasunori of Chrono Tirgger fame the score is awesome and fits the game perfectly. one of my favorites is "Small Two of Pieces Screeching Shards, was the first ending theme with sung lyrics to ever appear in a game developed by SQUARESOFT(SQUARE-ENIX) the Xenogears OST  reached No.55 on the Japan Oricon charts.

Xenogears is awesome from the opening cutscene to the final credits it feels like a combination of the Neon Geneses Evangelion Anime and Final Fantasy RPG.  anybody who is a Evangelion fan or Mecha Anime fan in general should play Xenogears.        

XENOGEARS INTRO

XENOGEARS ENDING Small of Two Pieces

XENOGEARS Mebius

14. Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2

Monster Hunter? Pffft!   I put in over 500 hrs on this bad boy without playing a single second online.  The constant need to find rare weapons was the driving force behind my addiction. 

13. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Yup, another great Zelda game.  Nothing new here folks.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

From 15 on I think we start to get the games that are close to people's hearts. It'll be fun to see what you guys are posting from here on out!

15. Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Welcome to Mario Kart! If there's such a thing as magic, then Mario Kart 64 has it. This game was the epitome of fun, and if you had friends over during the late 90's, this was the game you popped in. Whether it be racing your friends on the tracks or blasting them in Battle Mode (Block Fort, always Block Fort!), you were all smiles. Even in single player, there was something about this game that I can't really describe... but even as I'm typing this there's a big goofy grin on my face. Whether it was exploring Peach's Castle in Royal Raceway, looking at the stars light up in Rainbow Road, or trying to clear the wall shortcut in Wario Stadium (or using lightning right as other players were about to pass the jump) this game is one of those that defined my childhood, and for that I'm greatful. Years later, I downloaded it on the Virtual Console, booted it up, and had a blast. Love this game.