By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

17. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii

Trilogies don't always end well. Often times the concept loses steam long before the third installment, or the developers simply run out of creative juice. This is definitely not the case with the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Metroid Prime 3 is one of those games, where everything comes together, and just clicks. The music is as great as ever, the pacing is great, and the targeting is razor-sharp.

Corruption is my least favorite Metroid Prime game. But that does not, by any means, mean that it's anything short of amazing.

Around the Network

16. Pokemon Gold/Silver & HeartGold/SoulSilver (GBC/DS)
Pokemon Silver was the first game I've ever pre-ordered. Let it be known, I was excited about this game. At this point in time, I was a full fledged Poke-maniac and couldn't wait to get my hands on a new game with a new world to explore and new Pokemon (!!!) to capture. It was just a brand new adventure in the Pokemon world I loved so much, and so I counted down to when the game would finally be mine. And when I finally popped the game into my trusty GameBoy Color, I was blown away from the start. The new Pokemon were so cool (picked Totodile as my starter of course, always go with the water types!) and the world of Johto was an incredible world to explore. The game was the perfect mix of old and new, tapping in to that wonderful Pokemon Red/Blue nostalgia (battling Team Rocket, teaming up with Lance) but always keeping things fresh by introducing new Pokemon, new types (Dark type!), and new trainers to battle.

And when I was finished defeating the Elite Four and Lance (darn those Dragonites!), Pokemon Gold/Silver delivered one of the best surprises I've ever seen in gaming: I got to go back to Kanto. What a wonderful addition to the game. I'm sure many players were all smiles as we went back to the land we loved so much and battled the gym leaders that gave us trouble a couple years prior. To top it all off, at the end of all things, we had to battle Red (Ash, everyone called him Ash). I never actually beat him in the original, but once I got the wonderful DS remake, that was my one goal. And with my team of Weavile, Scizor, Magmortar, Electivire, Feraligatr, and Gliscor I did just that. What a great adventure.

20-16, starting to get down there, running into games I want to replay, oh dear.

20. Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC)

Of all the Mario Kart games I felt like this one offered my favorite selection of tracks.  The two player kart mechanic added extra fun for parties and a little more strategic choices in items.  In addition the changes to the powerslide technique were welcome to at least me due to my distaste for figuring them out in Mario Kart 64 time trials.  Among the tracks I liked:  Baby Park - This one felt completely original for its small size and was quite interesting with more laps. Daisy Cruiser - running through all the different paths on, of all things, a cruise ship felt like a really creative course.  Walugi Stadium - Took all of the great parts about the Wario Stadium course and somehow turned every race into a completely crazy adventure.  DK Mountain - It had a cannon and a long windy downhill section, end of story.  The Entire Star Cup: Wario Colosseum, Dino Dino Jungle, Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road - The courses felt complex enough that people were going to make mistakes and it really would let you figure out who was the best.  I still think that these are the best Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road courses created to date.  The addition of more racers in grand prix was also great and I the blue shells are slightly less of an annoyance because of how fun it is to try to dodge them or at least get others caught as well.

19. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)

This game really shined because of the variety of classes available to use, and I don't think I even managed to use half of them on a regular basis.  The ability to build your own world map makes it so every game can be a little bit different and moving around becomes somewhat interesting.  Similar to Fire Emblem, adding special characters to the cast provides extra incentive to try to complete as much of the missions as possible.  The law system forces you to use a little more than a basic set of allies for most of the game (until you get Cid later on) and can make what seemed like it would be an easy battle a bit harder.  There are plenty of missions to do and items to obtain which mix together well to get somewhat of an open world feel to the game.  The variety in available moves provides a large number of viable strategies although high damage moves work a little too well at times.  Setting up your attacks so you don't hit your allies with a spell keeps the battles from becoming too clustered.  Overall the story keeps from getting too dull and offers a second ending for a more complete playthrough.

18. ICO (PS2)

Perhaps one of the best things about ICO is how much story it can tell with so little.  The team for this game did an excellent job of telling story without resorting to a mess of dialogue.  The solitary flaw for this game is the fact that the combat seems nothing more than an annoyance.  The idea of having to save another person from being captured is solid but the lack of variety in weapons (not as bad) and enemies (worse) led to most of the excitement being taken a short while into the game.  On the other hand the game's final combat felt like a wonderfully crafted battle that I would love more of.  The platform puzzling in this game is what ultimately shines through.  Unlike many platformers, the next move is usually less than obvious and requires a little thinking to puzzle out where you're going.  Somehow the developers made the destination always seem so far away, even though the entire game world is decently small.  A lot of this could come from the fact that the game flows freely between areas without any sort of modular level scheme.  The castle is beautifully crafted and I wished I could have wandered away from the game and explored the whole building.  This game exceeded all of my expectations, even knowing what other people had thought of it.

17. Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)

The definitive pokemon for me it improved ever so slightly on the original Silver version with the addition of new pokemon and extra events.  The critical feature of the two games that extends them beyond any of the others is the size of the world.  You feel like you're done at the elite four but there is still an entire set of gyms, a more powerful version of the elite four, and a battle with red atop Mount Silver to complete.  Add in what this game added to the series, different pokeballs, new ways to evolve, the pokegear, and that tiny breeding thing and you have a masterpiece.  SoulSilver went further to bring your pokemon into the world with you giving another chance to see those that you have collected.

16. Final Fantasy X (PS2)

In many ways this feels like the last of the more traditional Final Fantasy games but if that's the case it will end up being a wonderful one.  With only two equip slots the game remained a surprisingly customizable experience.  Level ups on the sphere grid let you do whatever you wanted with your characters and the ability to control what charged overdrives turned them into more of a strategic choice.  The new summon mechanics turned them into a more fluid battle experience with the ability to use them in multiple ways.  The interesting addition of moves having a visible effect on the turn order in battle allowed you to plan for your opponents actions (and let enemies be a little stronger).  It would be difficult not to fall in love with the story and characters as they wind through the world looking for a way to bring peace to its shores.  The change in setting from traditional games also causes this to be what I believe is the most elegant of the  Final Fantasy worlds to date.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

Ninpanda said:

17. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Wii

Trilogies don't always end well. Often times the concept loses steam long before the third installment, or the developers simply run out of creative juice. This is definitely not the case with the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Metroid Prime 3 is one of those games, where everything comes together, and just clicks. The music is as great as ever, the pacing is great, and the targeting is razor-sharp.

Corruption is my least favorite Metroid Prime game. But that does not, by any means, mean that it's anything short of amazing.

This reminds me, I need to go back and complete this!

42. Star Wars: TIE Fighter

In the late 80's and early 90's LucasArts was among the elite gaming publishers in the world. Their adventure games were unmatched and had been, for the most part, solely what they were known for. That radically changed in 1993 when they released the simluator X-Wing. However, it was a year later that LucaArts release TIE Fighter, the sequel to X-Wing, and it had improved in almost every aspect.  It was a game ahead of its time that ranks among the best simulation games of any genre.

Around the Network

Q-games have made my two favourite downloadable games this generation. With its brilliant level design, up-beat soundtrack, intuitive controls and typical PixelJunk charm, I became seduced almost immediately.

Though I prefer Monsters to this due to the superior co-op, I feel as if Shooter is a better game as a whole. It's a wonderfully simple game that makes itself so easy to enjoy.

15. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (PS2)

The first NFS I played was Hot Pursuit 2, but I began to love the series with Underground. Most Wanted, somehow, was even better for me than Underground 1 and 2. It's still my favourite NFS.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Time to catch up...

20. LittleBigPlanet

LBP starts off the top 20 of my list. It's quite easily my most played PS3 game due to the sheer number of community levels to play, and it's one of the games that I bought the console for. Every time you put the game into the console, there will always be something new to try, and that keeps you coming back time and time again.

VGChartz

19. Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive/Genesis)

It should be somewhat obvious that I'm more of a Nintendo fan that anything else by now, but that doesn't stop the mascot of the old enemy from my playground days from making it in to my list. Still, it was a bit more of friendly rivalry back in those days, or at least it was for me. My friend who owned the Mega Drive would always be trying to convince everybody that Sonic was better than Mario, and would invite the staunch Mario fans around to play and see for themselves. This is how I came to play the game for the first time, and I really did enjoy it. As for whether he won me over with his assertions, I'll let this list speak for itself...

VGChartz

18. Super Mario World (SNES)

Super Mario World is probably the Mario game that I've exhausted the most. I found every exit, I picked up the maximum number of lives, I maxed out the score to where it wouldn't go any higher... Plus, this game gave us Yoshi and the ability to ride around on him and swallow enemies, which gave it a bit of differentiation from the previous games. But is it my favourite Mario game? The rest of the list will hold the answer...

VGChartz