By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What made PS1 so special?

It was the first console designed for 3d graphics. The Saturn was designed with 2d graphics in mind, while the N64 was too late to the party.

Around the Network
Booh! said:

It was the first console designed for 3d graphics. The Saturn was designed with 2d graphics in mind, while the N64 was too late to the party.

N64 was to late and USED CARTRIDGE instead of CD.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

dunno001 said:

Well, I can see a bunch of factors that played into Sony's success with the PS1. The biggest one I think, though, was launching at the right time. 3rd party companies were, well... not happy... with the iron fist that Nintendo kept over them- from being the only provider to cartridges, to having to compete with Nintendo's games (which were also cheaper at retail), to the cost of reprints, to the sticking with the cartridge. Sega had eroded consumer confidence outside of Japan, with the okay Sega CD, to the laughable 32X, and the travesty of those few games needing both, only to see the Saturn released 6 MONTHS early with no notice to anyone, including 3rd parties. So what was seen was few games for the CD, fewer for the 32X, and almost none for the Saturn. Why buy a Saturn; no games are coming out for it! Coupled with other facts mentioned (high price {$400 US}, hard to program for, etc), and it wasn't looking good. For some reason, this early launch also angered a few 3rd party companies, who cancelled their projects.

Enter Sony. They were able to discard the bad of each side, and take what was left together. While the N64 was $200 versus $300 on the PS1, games being $40 vs $60-70 meant that you broke even at 5 games (or less). (IIRC, the PS1 was also the only home console to have new games routinely cost sub-$50.) With the cheaper price, the consumer also saw bigger games. Within a year, FF7 moved from the N64 to the PS1, sewing up Japan, and thus, Japanese support from other companies, in a time when Japanese support mattered more to a system's success. The consumer saw the games flow, all for less than either other system on the market.

And the 3rd party companies loved it. It was the easiest system to program for, and the easiest to do reprints for. No more were they bound to Nintendo's sole-providership, or Sega's high licensing fees. Sony's promotion of the 3rd party games also helped in easing their own advertising costs. Why could Sony advertise them? Sony's main developer, Sony Imagesoft, wasn't a huge company, and other 3rd parties didn't see them as much of a threat in relation to Nintendo or Sega. Thus, their games could flourish, and as the system took off in the consumer's eyes, so did the sales of 3rd party games.

This isn't to say that Sony didn't take lumps. The PS1 was the first hardware to be sold at a loss initially. Some early PS1s had issues of scratching disks, making them unplayable. But Sony also did some shrewd things to help sew up their victory. They were known to cut licensing discounts for exclusivity. And they pushed that FMVs could be well integrated into a game, something that the Sega CD did not do. Ultimately, they came at the right time after observing the market as a 3rd party company, and used the Sony name to get their foot in the door. The rest, as they say, is history.

Yes SEGA charged a lot for licensing Games on SATURN from what I remember it was like US$15 compared to SONY only charging the actual cost of the CD's themselves. 

also Bernie Stolar stating that 2D RPGs and 2D Games would not work in the West which agered a lot of 3rd Party Developers/Publishers of 2D RPGs who decided to port there 2D RPG's to PlayStation in Japan and then bring them over to the West as PlayStation Exclusives. with Games like GRANDIA and LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY

Kojima Hideo san embracing of PlayStation with POLICENAUTS and METAL GEAR SOLID plus Squaresoft singing a 10 year exclusive deal with SONY for main number Final Fantasy Games plus focusing on PlayStation primarily with other series and Enix moving primarily to PlayStation were big factors in Japan. 

plus SONY had about 250 Developers making Games hor Playstion in Japan alone. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

The variety of games, simply put. :D

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

disolitude said:
evolution_1ne said:

what dafuck does that have to do with what made the ps1 so special lol

and any true playstation fan will tell you, sales were the LAST thing that made those console so awesome, and by the end of this gen when people will look at overall sales, I don't think that question will even come up.....

Actually console sales were the reason why PS1 was special. Without console sales, 3rd parties wouldn't have flocked to the PS1 and sony would have been royally screwed as they had the weakest 1st party support at the time out of the 3 consoles available.

Not really. Look at Wii and the limited 3rd Party support it has received despite its impressive sales.

Around the Network

Great economics, great partnerships, great architecture, great exclusives, great decisions in general... and that plus the competition pretty much sabotaging themselves at every turn.  It's like the inverse of what's happened with PS3.  

an amazing digimon games/ends thread

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Given the option between buying pirated CD-R copies on the cheap (a year and a half later I got my own CD burner and started downloading ISOs myself and burning them onto CD myself) and paying up the ass for expensive as hell N64 games (they were more expensive than PS1 games at retail I remember), I went with the console that could take CD-R copied games. lol. That was my reasoning behind picking the Playstation over the N64.