By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Tea Party - how frightening is this movement?

TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:

and maybe not all blacks agree with his policies, but I think it's fair to say that a good deal of his policies go towards helping minorities.

I completely disagree. How has a minority group been helped by his policy? Are more blacks working now they when he took office? Are the ones working living a better life?

Do they have more affordable healthcare today then they did when he took office? Is crime lower where they live? Do they have more education options how then before?

Are there kids someone imune to the massive debt he is leaving to the next generation?

The US is in worse shape today, then it was 20 months ago. That effects all Americans.

If I were more involved, I would be able to answer your questions but I'm sure they are rhetorical.

That being said, I don't think your rhetoric is completely on par with reality either...

20 months ago, we were looking at skyrocketing unemployment, and huge businesses on the verge of collapse. I haven't heard of a big collapse in a while. Back then it was like a new one every week.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
ConnorJCP said:
rocketpig said:
ConnorJCP said:

I pray Australia never becomes what the USA has become.

You mean it's not already? I've met some pretty damned intolerant people from Australia, especially if they're from rural areas. They stack up unfavorably even to the most redneck of Americans.

No, its not even half as bad as the USA.
USA is still pretty split up between the states.
In USA alot of people believe in religion, and are extremely hypocrite when it comes to their 1st amendment and they tend to forget the rest of the world doesnt share it.
Although ever since Howard lost the election, Australia is becoming worse though. (IMO)
But no, it is not nearly as bad as The USA.

I look at Australia, see rampant racism against aboriginals, a lack of same-sex marriage rights, limited abortion legality, and if they had any Muslims, I'm sure they'd have more than their fair share of Islamophobia just like America or Europe.

So, what makes the USA twice as bad again? Religious people? Because the way I look at it, those American religious zealots aren't getting their way much lately (or ever, really). You see a lot of negativity from American press because the nutjobs always rise to the top. Really, we're no more or less progressive than most of the rest of the western world.

America certainly isn't twice as bad.

Same sex marriage will happen sooner rather then later (especially given the balance of power thats partially held by the greens), the majority of the population supports it, its just a matter of time.

Abortion is subject to state laws and is more open in some states such as the Australian Capital territory where its completely free and less so in others. Thats the price you pay for having state based laws.

A larger percentage of Australia (though some reports I read said its roughly the same percentage) is Muslim then in the US and we don't have significant issues except for the odd thing here or there.

I would agree that racism towards the indiginous Australians is certainly an issue, especially in the Norther Territory and in rural areas. However steps are continually being made to combat this, the thing is , since such a small percentage of the populace is Aboriginal its easy to go for years without running into an Aboriginal person. Out of sight out of mind unfortunately.

theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:

and maybe not all blacks agree with his policies, but I think it's fair to say that a good deal of his policies go towards helping minorities.

I completely disagree. How has a minority group been helped by his policy? Are more blacks working now they when he took office? Are the ones working living a better life?

Do they have more affordable healthcare today then they did when he took office? Is crime lower where they live? Do they have more education options how then before?

Are there kids someone imune to the massive debt he is leaving to the next generation?

The US is in worse shape today, then it was 20 months ago. That effects all Americans.

If I were more involved, I would be able to answer your questions but I'm sure they are rhetorical.

That being said, I don't think your rhetoric is completely on par with reality either...

20 months ago, we were looking at skyrocketing unemployment, and huge businesses on the verge of collapse. I haven't heard of a big collapse in a while. Back then it was like a new one every week.

well over 100 banks have closed this year. 

http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/failed/banklist.html

The CBO office has said while healthcare cost would have gone up without reform, costs have gone up more with it then it would have without it.

60 minutes just did a piece on the real unemployment number. It's 17.5%

We are far worst then we were a year ago. People just aren't talking about it.

theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:

What are gay rights? When did they get rights I don't have? There are no Gay Rights, Woman's Rights, Minority Rights, or any other sub group rights. There are Human rights, and we all get them.

In my perfect world, there would be no issues with respect to sexual preference and the federal government, because the federal government would have no laws where it mattered.

There would be no marriage tax credit. No recognition of marriage of any kind, because there would be no need to care if your married or not, and to who your married too. The Federal government would be indifferent to the concept of marriage.

For me, the party that closest maps that view, is Libertarian. The current movement that is closest to my views, is the tea party.

"X Rights" is the name of the movements to restore the rights therein, we do not all get them. Once upon a time, women couldn't own property, vote, etc. Same for blacks. Doctors in some places can refuse treatment of gays.

I don't know if you disagree or not..I'm having a lot of trouble understanding your viewpoints.

My viewpoint is men should have the right to marry men. But it's not a gay right. I am not gay, and I should have that right as well.

It's a human right. Currently in the US, there are many restrictions our government has put on us that our constitution affords us. We need to fight to remove those restriction, but not in the name if "X" group.

If I lived in a time where blacks could not vote, I would be fighting to correct that. Because as an American, the constitution affords him that right. I would have not fought for the 14th amendment. I don't think it's needed. The Constitution says all men are created equal, and a black man is a man. No need for a black right.

It's a subtle difference, but it means a lot. As long as you have subgroups fighting for power, you will always have division. I want everyone fighting for all rights for all people.

This is the main thing I have against the liberal party. Class warfare. If someone has something better then you, it must be at your expense. This is just not the case. It breeds hate. If we could all fight for everyones lives to be better, we would live in a much better world.

I want a poor man to be richer, but I also want a rich man to be richer. Why can't we desire all peoples lives to improve there positions in life, and not just pick a group to hate, and a group to want to help? Makes no sense to me.

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

What makes america worse is we're louder about it.

Though statistically things are problems are usually a lot less troublesome... people think it's worse then their countries because we allow anyone to say what they want.

For freedom of speech and the press America ranks pretty highly, but not near the top.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/uploads/fop/2007/pfscharts.pdf

Yeah but do you know why that is?  It's mostly because of the lack of press shield laws for sources.

Which is totally different then freedom of expression.

Around the Network

Well, I'm a republican and I hate the Tea Party and their candidates. I even support Ron Paul, yet refuse to support his son.

In Florida, we have Marco Rubio running for Senate. He is completely anti-everything that benefits the citizens it seems. He seems to be the type of guy that would ban solar power because it cuts down the amount fuel used to create electricity. I'm voting independate with soon to be former governor Charle Crist.

Our governor race is just as bad. We have a multibillionaire running as the repub candidate that doesn't even know what minimum wage is. I'm voting democrat with this.

From what I can tell, the majority of repub candidates are idiots. If its just as bad in other states, I think everyone should just vote independate and then push for legislation to ban the party system.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

It was all good till I saw Sarah Palin.

ssj12 said:

Well, I'm a republican and I hate the Tea Party and their candidates. I even support Ron Paul, yet refuse to support his son.

You live in Florida. You don't get to "support" either one of them :p

The funny thing, is Rand Paul (and Ron really) are actually independents. Rand was not the GOP supported candidate in the Republican primary. So if you want everyone to vote independent, they would vote for the guy you don't support.

Just our of curiosity, why don't you like Rand Paul? I can't see any diference in his views, then his fathers.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

What makes america worse is we're louder about it.

Though statistically things are problems are usually a lot less troublesome... people think it's worse then their countries because we allow anyone to say what they want.

For freedom of speech and the press America ranks pretty highly, but not near the top.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/uploads/fop/2007/pfscharts.pdf

Yeah but do you know why that is?  It's mostly because of the lack of press shield laws for sources.

Which is totally different then freedom of expression.

Do you have a source for that?

Their methodology doesn't seem to imply it.

http://freedomhouse.org/images/File/fop/2010/Methodology2010--final5May10.pdf

rocketpig said:
ConnorJCP said:
rocketpig said:
ConnorJCP said:

I pray Australia never becomes what the USA has become.

You mean it's not already? I've met some pretty damned intolerant people from Australia, especially if they're from rural areas. They stack up unfavorably even to the most redneck of Americans.

No, its not even half as bad as the USA.
USA is still pretty split up between the states.
In USA alot of people believe in religion, and are extremely hypocrite when it comes to their 1st amendment and they tend to forget the rest of the world doesnt share it.
Although ever since Howard lost the election, Australia is becoming worse though. (IMO)
But no, it is not nearly as bad as The USA.

I look at Australia, see rampant racism against aboriginals, a lack of same-sex marriage rights, limited abortion legality, and if they had any Muslims, I'm sure they'd have more than their fair share of Islamophobia just like America or Europe.

So, what makes the USA twice as bad again? Religious people? Because the way I look at it, those American religious zealots aren't getting their way much lately (or ever, really). You see a lot of negativity from American press because the nutjobs always rise to the top. Really, we're no more or less progressive than most of the rest of the western world.

Racism against Aboriginals is pretty much ancient now.  It all but dried up 15 years ago, but it may as well be half a century.  Hell, a major part of any federal election now is who can give more to the Aboriginies, not who can downtread them.  Same-sex marriage rights I will give you, but in most states they carry legal equality, if not the word marriage.  Limited abortion legality?  The last time someone was convicted over anything to do with having an abortion (other than trying to PREVENT one) was an age back mate.

We do have Muslims, about 400k of them last I checked (hint, that's a lot to a country our size).  There is little to no racism displayed towards them, certainly not more than any other group.  Which isn't that much, given that over half of our largest city is now non-white...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS