By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why conservatives really dislike illegal immigrants

whatever said:
TheRealMafoo said:
whatever said:
TheRealMafoo said:

People who care about the rule of law tend to be conservatives.

That's a ridiculous generalization.  It just depends on the laws we are talking about.  Conservatives generally supported the Patriot Act, the (undeclared by Congress) war in Iraq, the torture of prisoners, and warrantless wiretaps.

No, Republicans do. Conservative and Republican are not the same thing.

Ron Paul is a conservative, and I don't think he supports any of those things.

You pick one conservative and that shows a majority of conservatives didn't support all of those things??  Somewhere on the order of 75% of conservatives supported the Iraq war.  I would venture to say that support for the other measures was in the same ballpark.

Again... not true. Republican != Conservative. 

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
richardhutnik said:

To flip what you said on its head, why wasn't the Bush administration taken to task more about the deficit and shreding the constitution?  No one seems to hold their own accountable when they are in power.

You must have not been on these forums when Bush was in office, because a lot of us were bitching about him. I sure was.

Then again, I am not a Republican or a Democrate, so no one in office can I call "my own".

Ron Paul would be the closest to my views.

My comment goes out more to the Fox News talking heads, and the GOP, rather than individuals who had enough and fed into the Ron Paul campaign.  If you remember, the Ron Paul campaign was on a verbotten list by Fox News.  Outside of complaints about illegal aliens and other grumbles, the Newscorp mouthpieces fed into the shreading of every principle.  When Ron Paul showed up and tapped into the discontent, which morphed into a good chunk of the Tea Party (this is because the Tea Party was founded by Ron Paul supporters), Fox News laughed and mocked them.  Now it is them lining up and saying how great they are.  You have individuals calling Ron Paul "Ru Paul" then now bowing to the tea party?  It is sickening.  Why weren't these individuals calling Bush on these things, instead of playing the emergency card of being scared of terrorists.

This blog post I stumbled across speaks about this to some degree, and the origins of the Tea Party (calling the later comers with Palin as "RuPaul Tea Party"):

http://mauryk2.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/ron-paul-or-rupaul-tea-party/

TheRealMafoo said:
PS3beats360 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
PS3beats360 said:

The breach of privacy and intrusion into citizens lives by governments is all to keep us safe and secure from terrorism. George W. Bush and other neo-cons continuously push their used car sales pitch : "You are all safe and secure with me and Please trust me". 

The same laws that were in place under Bush are still in place under Obama. Why are you not yelling at him for it too?

When laws or a tax reform is passed it is hard to remove the legislation. The legislation would have to be repealed and passed by a majority in both houses of Federal government. Obama would not be able to repeal the legislation Bush Jr.  passed through as law. Governments rarely over turn taxes when they are introduced. 

We are not talking abou tax reform, we are talking about wire taps. I think it would be simple for Obama to remove the ability to wiretap people.

He has not done it, and it's odd that the liberals who were so up in arms about the Bush administration wiretapping, have not said one word about the fact that Obama leads under the same set of rules.

As for taxes, we change the tax laws every year. It's very easy to remove anything we want with respect to taxation. We do it all the time.

You are correct in that Obama could easily remove the wiretaps and should.  You are wrong though that liberals haven't said anything about it.  Progressives have been complaining about most of Obama's policies with respect to the wiretaps, gitmo, patriot act, don't ask don't tell, etc.

It's wrong no matter who is doing it.  If we get a true psycho or paranoid person in the white house, these policies could lead to a very repressive executive branch very quickly.  Could you imagine Nixon having these policies at his disposal?

whatever said:

You are correct in that Obama could easily remove the wiretaps and should.  You are wrong though that liberals haven't said anything about it.  Progressives have been complaining about most of Obama's policies with respect to the wiretaps, gitmo, patriot act, don't ask don't tell, etc.

It's wrong no matter who is doing it.  If we get a true psycho or paranoid person in the white house, these policies could lead to a very repressive executive branch very quickly.  Could you imagine Nixon having these policies at his disposal?

When Joe Biden was announced as his running mate it should have been clear that he had no interest in doing anything about privacy or security issues.