By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why conservatives really dislike illegal immigrants

theprof00 said:

Simple fact of the matter, if companies stopped hiring illegals, they'd stop coming.

But guess who hires more illegal immigrants than any other?

Agriculture.

Guess what party the farms back.

http://dfl.org/

Not sure where you live, but I live in one of the largest Agriculture states in the US, and my representative is Al Franken. Yes, can you believe if I want to contact my senator, it's Al Franken?

FYI: I have, and he responded. I will give him credit that it was at least not a from letter. Most likely it was written by an employee, but it was a long response that due to the subject matter, could not have been canned.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:

Simple fact of the matter, if companies stopped hiring illegals, they'd stop coming.

Agriculture.

Not sure where you live, but I live in one of the largest Agriculture states in the US, and my representative is Al Franken. Yes, can you believe if I want to contact my senator, it's Al Franken?

FYI: I have, and he responded. I will give him credit that it was at least not a from letter. Most likely it was written by an employee, but it was a long response that due to the subject matter, could not have been canned.

I thought you moved.

And what is your point?

That an agricultural state elected Al Franken?

And why are you trying to portray yourself as being "deeply involved"?

theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:

Agriculture.

I thought you moved.

And what is your point?

I have yet to move. I first have to sell my house. That's not easy. 

95% of my posts are political, and for years I have been taking countless hours posting on forums and writing letters to do what I can to move this country in the correct direction. Why would you think I was anything but deeply involved?

TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:

I thought you moved.

And what is your point?

95% of my posts are political, and for years I have been taking countless hours posting on forums and writing letters to do what I can to move this country in the correct direction. Why would you think I was anything but deeply involved?

because I question your motives for saying that. Why should I care or believe you? I know your post history, but making it seem like you have secret information about stuff makes me wonder about what you're really doing.

theprof00 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
theprof00 said:

I thought you moved.

And what is your point?

because I question your motives for saying that. Why should I care or believe you? I know your post history, but making it seem like you have secret information about stuff makes me wonder about what you're really doing.

???

What secret info do I have, or project to have?

Around the Network

Most likely it was written by an employee, but it was a long response that due to the subject matter, could not have been canned.

theprof00 said:

Most likely it was written by an employee, but it was a long response that due to the subject matter, could not have been canned.

I emailed his office asking that a part of the financial regulation going in, to not include a part that would force my insurance company to break apart. USAA never took a dime of money in bailout, but due to how the regulation was going to be written, they were not going to be allowed to operate as a bank and an insurance company, without a 3rd party managing them.

So I wrote a letter explaining how I thought this was not in the spirite of what the law was meant for, and how if it passed it would hurt good companies. It was fairly long.

The response had enough in it about USAA, the law, what Franken was planing to do, and my name in it that it would have been difficult to create a generic form letter where you just plug in the relevant data.

I am curious though. Why does knowing all that make you feel any different? It was just a small part of my post, to give a compliment to someone I don't respect very much.

Well I still have no idea what your post was about then.

I made a comment about how agriculture is the biggest hirer of illegals and that agriculture backs conservatives.

Ang you reply that your state is very agricultural and is led by senator Franken, and then compliment him.

I'm just very confused as to what you were getting at there.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
highwaystar101 said:

Whilst I think that illegal immigrants can be problematic (certainly if they receive social benefits and/or don't pay tax), I can't be angry at them because I know what they do is often done out of desperation and the will to do anything for a better quality of life.

At the end of the day we all want to improve our quality of life, I can relate. But it just so happens that some of us were born on the side with the greener grass already.

As for jobs and social services, I can see the problem they pose to the system. For example if a state has to factor in bilingual education for the children of illegal immigrants, then the cost to educate students will sky rocket. If a person has been undercut in their job, then it will begin to cause many problems such as higher unemployment of legal citizens and unmonitored working conditions (which inevitably lead to poor working conditions) for illegal immigrants.

But again, I can't really be angry at these people in spite of this because I know that in many cases they illegally cross borders to increase their quality of life.

That's why you don't get angry at them... but at the government... for intentionally not doing anything.  In the US Republican mainstream politicians like to play up like they care... but honestly, only a few do, those that come from the states effected.

Even then, not all of them... because hispanics are going to be a HUGE voting block, and quite honestly fall MUCH more on the conservative/republican side of beliefs but vote democrat mostly based on the immigration issue because it can be used to paint republicans as racist.

Imagine if the Republicans ditched the bigoted elements of the party. It would destroy the Democrats, since they would no longer have the (virtually) guaranteed votes from Blacks, Gays, and Hispanics of all stripes

It's true... I wouldn't say it would DESTROY them.   Democrats outnumber Republicans by quite a bit.  It's just Republcians are more likely to vote, if the Dems lost numbers I bet the remaining base would be more active.

It's true though... Blacks and Hispanics actually would trend more Republican.

Gays, still more liberal but there are a rising number of conservative gays.

Though not it'd matter now.   I like the Joe Scarbourgh take on it.   Though Nancy Pelosi thinks the republicans will create an oligarchy if they win, and Glenn Beck things if the Democrats win are kids will be sold to the chinese... the truth is... both groups of politicians are basically the same... and besides it will be a heavily split house.

Does it really matter who is the majority and who is the minority in an near evenly split house and senate?

theprof00 said:

Well I still have no idea what your post was about then.

I made a comment about how agriculture is the biggest hirer of illegals and that agriculture backs conservatives.

Ang you reply that your state is very agricultural and is led by senator Franken, and then compliment him.

I'm just very confused as to what you were getting at there.

I was saying my state very much backs the liberal party, and we are an agricultural state. I aslo then made fun of Al Franken, so I figured even though I am not a fan of his, his team at least took the time to write me back, so I would give him a pat on the back for the effort.

That's all I was saying.