By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Fair enough. You also seem to know your stuff.

I guess their will always be fanboys in relation to everything.

I will ask your opinion on the oleds that sony and eventually samsung have coming out.

Around the Network

I don't believe that offering a well-constructed and defensible opinion constitutes fanboy-ism, but whatever.

I can't really comment on things that I have no experience with (OLED's). I remember hearing something about single-electron displays that were supposed to combine the best characteristics of CRT and flat-panel displays, but I have heard nothing on them for some time.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

From what I understand the olcds should be launching anyday now it is basically an lcd that does not need a backlight.

The oled was a misprint in my last post...sorry.

The fanboy thing was supposed to be a joke since it seems that term is thrown around alot here.

Yeah, I'm afraid I really don't have an opinion on OLEDs yet either. All I can discuss is what I've seen.

OLED is the right form, actually. I have heard of them, I just don't know yet how good they will be. I remember when Sony was talking up their SXRD displays as the greatest thing ever to happen in the universe (as they are often wont to do), but I found them to be not nearly as impressive as the company had suggested.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

I got the Vizio 42 inch 1080P for 999$ during a Costco sale ($200instant off coupon). I upgraded from a standard def 32 CRT.

I love my TV. It doesnt have the 'specs' of the bigger brands but it sure does look damn good when Im watching it in my living room. Xbox 360 games look great too.

And yes my friend has a Sony Bravia-something 1080P 40 incher so I do have something to compare it to. While the Sony looks a bit brighter, its not as big a difference as the specs would have you think. And IMHO, is not worth the extra money and 2 inch smaller size.

Vizio is a great value! 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Bod:

A few simple questions for you:

First, are you a videophile? Are you such a movie nut that everything has to be the best it can possibly be? If the answer is no, save your money and don't worry about a 1080p set. I'm sorry I didn't get the cheap 46" sharp 43U LCD.

Does the possibility of image retention (if even temporarily) of any concern to you at all? If it is, I'd lean toward the LCD since you can't burn em in with a PC or video game with a static HUD.

Are you sensitive to ghosting? If you are, look for an LCD that is 6ms or 4ms (like mine)

Honestly, you are doing what I did -- overthinking this. EVERY technology -- plasma, crt, lcd, have their pluses and minuses. Today's LCD sets are great. Get yourself a resonably priced set (1080P if you feel you have to have it), enjoy it, and quick stressing about it so much.

Use the different websites that do "deal tracking" and keep your eyes out for a set that matches your needs and then go grab it. Keep in mind that if you are coming for SD CRT, you are making a quantum leap up -- even if you only go 720P/1080i. All of the extra money you pour into incremental increases, in my opinion, is waste...

Watch the sale ads for the remainder of the year. Yeah, the Vizio 47" LCD 1080P set is pretty good, but my Dad nabbed a Sony 46" V3000 LCD at Sears for $999.00 about 10 days ago. That was half price... Deals are out there, but you have to be patient and wait for it...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Good talking to you guys and good night.

Also if your dad got the 46 inch v series for 999 that is a great deal...now seriously good night.