By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm considering getting a Vizio HDTV, because I'm not interested in paying a 200-300 dollar premium on a Samsung television unless the additional cost really is totally worth it. Does anyone have one? Or can they link me to product reviews?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

According to the most recent consumer report sony ranked first and samsung ranked second. If you give me a ballpark figure of what you are willing to spend and exactly what you are lookin for i can help you better. I recently bought a 46 sony bravia and i shopped around alot.

I wouldn't recommend a Vizio unless you really have no other option.

Brands I'd recommend:

Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Toshiba, LG, and, to a lesser extent, Sanyo

Brands I'd avoid:

Westinghouse, Vizio, Daewoo, Venturer, Fuh Yuan, Funai, etc.

The price on Samsung's products isn't really a premium. You get what you pay for.

Sony's TVs, however, could be considered to have a premium. They're generally better TVs (the XBRs are the best LCDs on the market) but you pay considerably more for them, and many feel that the added price isn't worth the added value. Samsung generally produces the best LCDs after Sony, with Sharp at a close third.

Samsung has also made great forays into the plasma arena, with their new HP series, though Pioneer still reigns supreme for high end plasmas.

Edit: C|net is the best source for reviws of CE products, especially televisions, imo.

I'm planning on getting a Samsung. For less money than the closest comparable Sony, the Samsung will also have more features.

I don't buy generic electronics. Unless it is like $40 or so (i.e. my kids dvd/vhs combo player).

Definitely not for a tv that I do not want to have to replace for at least 5 years.

If you read the reviews, they will say that Vizio TVs are ok because they fail their extreme test DVDs.

I happen to have a 32" Vizio TV that i bought 1.5 years ago and i have never had a problem with it. I have never noticed any of the complaints that they point out in the reviews. But then again, they have their extreme test DVD's and most movies/games never put that much strain on the TV. Overall the picture quality is good, but I'm sure there are better ones out there too.

If you care, the controller is decently layed out and is easy to use (unlike my dads Sony which is a royal pain to use the controller to switch inputs, for example, you may have to hit imput up to 7 times to get to the input you want) My one complaint is that the menu goes right in the middle of the screen, so when you try to adjust the color it takes quite a while since you have to go in and out of the menu.

Overall its a decent TV and I would recommend buying one. For the money it is great, the company is based in the US, and they have a decent warranty.Since its the first TV i have ever bought i figured I would upgrade in the future so no reason to spend lots of cash now. Next time around I probably won't buy a Vizio, but its great for what I bought it for.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

erm, Sony don't make the panels, they just buy them off Samsung. For all intents and purposes, the Bravia and the Samsung are the same, but the Samsung is cheaper.

I have a Samsung 50" plasma and it really looks fantastic. Although to be honest, The most likely scenario is you can tell the difference in the store, but once you take it home it's pretty much the same thing. If you don't want to pay a premium for quality just buy a Vizio, and you probably won't notice any difference anyway.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

My friend has a Vizio, its not a bad tv, but its not a good one imho.  The TV that I have is a Samsung I paid $1199 for it this time last year.  Its a 720p 32 inch LCD, and I am using at a computer monitor as well as a TV.  I think its great.  That said a Samsung TV like this one (newer model of course) can be had for $750-$850 range.  I'd seriously consider it.  Plus many of sony's lcds are cheaper than Samsung, but I believe that they are still very quality sets.  Its a major investment, but I'm extremely happy with mine :).

What about Sylvania hdtv's, I saw a 32" one at Kmart for 477 and I was wondering if they are any good.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

i don't know about HDtvs, but all i know is when you buy a well known brand tv it breaks within 1-3 years.

we had an old TV which was bought before i was born...i think it was 14y/o when it died. (the brand name had the word "colour" in it... they don't seem to exist anymore)
then we had 3 TVs in the next 5 years (Sony, sharp and philips)

now we have some random brand i can't even remember the name of, and so far it is 6 years old already.

I have to tell you Samsung LCD's are among the best. I own a Sonyand a Samsung 32" and I see no difference except the Sony handles SDTV better(but not digital just standard cable they're pretty equal on picture otherwise) and the Samsung is a little cheaper(like 200-300$ cheaper) I'd recommend a Samsung 100% I'm sorry I'm not a big Sony fan even in their consumer electronics, they do tend to be better but not enough so to warrant their costs.

What room are you looking to buy for is it a bed room? What are the dimensions of the room and how far do you normally sit from the TV? Perhaps I can help you find a good deal, if you like just send me a private message with the details and I'll see what I can find for you.