By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Apple to make huge acquisition, possibly Sony

could be sony if that apple rumor is true they have far more then enought to buy out sony ... and couldnt be disney disney is like a microsoft of money lol just look a their marvel buy out 375 million

Around the Network

The needle hasn't moved on Sony's stock price, so nobody on Wall Street sees this happening.

The culture of the two companies is so different, I can't see their workforce being compatible. I don't think the Japanese government would allow it either.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:
Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:

Really? That would be pretty big. I read that Apple has like $50 billion to spend, how much would it cost to buy 51% of Sony's shares? Anybody out there knows?

$17.26 billion at Sony's current share price.

Oh man, Apple could very well do it then. I figure they'd be interested on Sony's TVs and the PS brand besides like a million patents. There would still be money enough for them to aim at IBM for instance...

I think IBM is a bit more out of reach than Sony :)   IBM's market cap is currently $174 billion.

But isn't IBM like 5 billion shares at $12 each? Half of it would ammount to about $30 billion unless I'm seeing something wrong here.

libellule said:

hum

but what will be the use for apple to purchase Sony ...

ipad/iphone/ipod is all they need !

iBravia TV's, iXBR TV's, iRay movies, iStation, iPSN, iPSEye, iMove, iEyeToy, ixPlosion audio... the possibilities are endless. :)

I think if Apple bought Sony the gaming industry would take a pretty large hit initially. For quite a few years it would struggle as Apple will try to change things (some type of new pricing model, new online market, etc.). Apple followers will invest in these changes and the existing gaming audience would be split amongst Microsft and Nintendo while many others abandom the industry altogether. Eventually Apple's new ways would catch on with the execs at the other gaming companies due to its success, where they too will make changes and annoy the existing gaming audience. The Nintendo and MS loyalists will also flee from the industry having those companies struggle to stay viable in the world of console gaming. Things won't return to normal until a new company (or Nintendo) comes back with the old gaming ways and brings back all us veterans, united once and for all.

Disclaimer: This post is the work of one writer, and does not necessarily reflect the views of the writer. o.0

haxxiy said:
Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:
Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:

Really? That would be pretty big. I read that Apple has like $50 billion to spend, how much would it cost to buy 51% of Sony's shares? Anybody out there knows?

Oh man, Apple could very well do it then. I figure they'd be interested on Sony's TVs and the PS brand besides like a million patents. There would still be money enough for them to aim at IBM for instance...

I think IBM is a bit more out of reach than Sony :)   IBM's market cap is currently $174 billion.

But isn't IBM like 5 billion shares at $12 each? Half of it would ammount to about $30 billion unless I'm seeing something wrong here.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=ibm

IBM's shares are currently valued at $140 each, and there's 1.24B out there.

Around the Network
Severance said:
Demotruk said:
Severance said:

i would believe it if its the other way around >_>;

Except that Apple is far bigger than Sony...

Apple :

Computer hardware
Computer software
Consumer electronics
Digital distribution

Sony :

Products Consumer & professional electronic equipments
Communication & information-related equipments
Semiconductor
Electronic devices & components
Battery
Chemicals
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Sony Music
Sony Computer Entertainment
PlayStation
Blu-ray

its not about who is more successful, it would be a very dumb move for Sony to do it while they already have a brand on lots of things that Apple doesn't have.

It wouldn't be possible for Sony to buy Apple, the other way around is possible.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

priteshmodi said:
libellule said:

hum

but what will be the use for apple to purchase Sony ...

ipad/iphone/ipod is all they need !

iBravia TV's, iXBR TV's, iRay movies, iStation, iPSN, iPSEye, iMove, iEyeToy, ixPlosion audio... the possibilities are endless. :)

Apple can already make these things without Sony. Apple doesn't want to get into TVs and most of this other stuff because it is such a low margin business which is contrary to their business model.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

At first I thought there was no way Apple could afford them but I'm surprised at how low Sony's Market Cap is, I expected it to be higher

Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:
Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:
Arcturus said:
haxxiy said:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=ibm

IBM's shares are currently valued at $140 each, and there's 1.24B out there.

Oh. I guess I looked into an outdated report or something else then.  Surprising to see IBM like $60B ahead of Intel in value.

Still I don't really think Apple would go for something bigger than AMD if they want a chip manufacturer haha.

if that happens then il stick with the ps, as long as the games are good and the hardware, or else il have to buy the next box and hack xbox live.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good